I Wanna Be The Forums!

General Category => General Games! => I Wanna Be the Quest => Topic started by: Pokota on June 08, 2015, 10:29:10 pm

Title: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 08, 2015, 10:29:10 pm
You have been selected.

The COUNCIL chose you specifically for this mission because of your history.

Do not disappoint.
----
It is cold, snowy. The FESTIVAL MANAGER, a member of (and currently head of) the COUNCIL, is glaring at you and your partner. He speaks with a slight drawl, muted by decades of speaking a foreign language.

"So, you two are the ones who will be in charge of security at this festival. Remember, it is of utmost importance that the MINISTER receive the horary from Ginza when the time is right." The FESTIVAL MANAGER turns his back on you. "It is, after all, our purpose in organizing this affair."
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Neko Desu on June 08, 2015, 10:45:57 pm
"What's the horary from Ginza, and who's the Minister?"
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 08, 2015, 10:52:47 pm
The Festival Manager starts at your question.

"If you have not yet been briefed... the Minster of Education is going to be passing through the festival. Ginza has a horary that will... nudge him to do what we need him to do. If it doesn't happen, our job will be that much harder."
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 09, 2015, 06:38:10 pm
"What factors might interfere with this plan, if any besides unfortunate circumstance?"
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 09, 2015, 08:30:11 pm
The Manager thinks on it for a moment.

"None, really, as long as Ginza doesn't leave his station for any reason whatsoever. All the 'scoping we did indicated as much."
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 09, 2015, 09:51:50 pm
"Very well then. What will we be working with in terms of security measures?"
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 10, 2015, 05:28:56 pm
"Mostly the new recruits for the Star Guard. We don't anticipate anything attacking that would require outside help; it's been quiet since the last incursion was repelled. And crucial or not, this will still be a festival filled with school-age children about and it is a festival. If you do have to get involved, be discreet and keep collateral damage to a minimum."
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 11, 2015, 01:24:54 pm
"Understood. How much time do we have to get set up, then?"
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 11, 2015, 10:40:57 pm
"Everything should already be ready. Just keep your ears and eyes open for anything suspicious."
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 12, 2015, 06:43:29 pm
"Then I suppose I shall be going. But before I do, I suppose I should ACQUAINT myself with my partner."

> Turn to the other person who is also in charge of security

"Hello, I don't believe I caught your name."
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 12, 2015, 08:52:26 pm
Choice time!

Will you be the level-headed newbie IZUKO, or the shell-shocked survivor HUDSON?
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 12, 2015, 09:12:57 pm
> Put in 1 credit and lock-in Izuko
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 12, 2015, 09:23:42 pm
Your partner turns his head and looks at you. He extends his hand, then withdraws it when you don't respond.

"I'm not surprised you haven't heard of me. Some things came up while I was on the strike team, and after that I was moved to covert operations. This is my first mission in a long time that wasn't a research role. My name's Hudson Cotswold, but everyone calls me Hudson at my insistence. Nice to finally meet you, babe. Your trainers were very complementary."
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 12, 2015, 09:33:55 pm
> Smile, and look out at the surrounding area

"Well, I guess I'm lucky to have someone with as much experience as you to work with! I'm just a greenhorn, after all. So, shall we get started?"
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 12, 2015, 10:32:32 pm
"If you want. I'm gonna grab a few beers and patrol the parking lots. Radio me on channel 2 if you need me."

You do not see any parking lots on the festival grounds. In fact, most of what you see are booths that are almost done being set up. One booth in particular is devoid of its intended occupant.

You notice a pack of six girls and a very nerdy boy crowding around the Goldfish Catch booth.
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 12, 2015, 11:25:57 pm
> Check my inventory before heading to the empty booth, making sure everything is accounted for
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 13, 2015, 12:09:06 am
You check your inventory. Yep, everything's still there.

Ginza, however, is not at his booth. There is a sign - 'Back in 5 Minutes.' Looking around, you spot Ginza rushing to return to his station.

You see Ginza collide with one of the girls. The HORARY gets knocked into a trash can, along with several powdered doughnuts scattered all over the place.

You see a flock of education people, headed by the minister of education, slowly make their rounds.


: show
You're not supposed to succeed here, by the way.
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 13, 2015, 12:16:31 am
> Rush over to Ginza

"Ginza! What are you doing!? Get that HORARY out of that garbage can, now! You know how integral this is to our SECURITY tonight!"
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 13, 2015, 09:12:21 am
Some of the girls look at you like you're crazy. The one that Ginza bumped into reaches into the garbage can and pulls out the horary, but it flies out of her hand and into yet another food kiosk.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry!"

The Minister of Education is now passing the Astrology booth. There's no longer any time to deliver the horary.
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 13, 2015, 05:07:35 pm
> Try to salvage it, and retrieve the horary

"The easiest job in the world and Ginza finds a way to screw it up!"
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 13, 2015, 09:07:18 pm
The girl dives after the Horary, further spraying doughnuts everywhere. The rest of the pack of girls look at Ginza with a look of 'We wish we knew how to keep their friend from being so clumsy...'

The girl retrieves the Horary again, but it flies out of her hand and into your arms. +1 Coolness.

The Minister of Education has moved on. Ginza groans. "No... I missed him... They're going to be so angry..."

One of the girls, with short blue hair and glasses, asks "Who is? Did someone have an appointment with you?"


Edit: removed her name to obfuscate
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 13, 2015, 09:21:00 pm
> Haul Ginza up

"Oh, don't worry about this, girls, just security business. GINZA, A WORD WITH YOU..."

> Drag Ginza around a corner

"WE MISSED OUR CHANCE! This absolutely needed to happen and now the opportunity's passed! WHAT WERE YOU DOING AWAY FROM YOUR BOOTH?"
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 13, 2015, 10:04:51 pm
Ginza looks at you sheepishly. "I had to pee. And nobody told me it was critical, just important. I'm sure he'll be able to get a horary at a later time."

You get a call on your radio. "Izuko, we've got a drunk idiot out near the Manager's Office; can you provide some backup?"
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 13, 2015, 10:19:55 pm
> Sigh, and respond to the radio

"Right away. The horary drop failed, I'll be over shortly."

> Look back at Ginza

"Look, just get back to your booth. I'm going to get roasted for this..."

> Head over to the Manager's Office
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 14, 2015, 09:24:37 am
You head over to the manager's office. The three of you (yourself, Hudson, and the Manager) together subdue the drunk with ease.

"So what happened?" The manager asks.
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 14, 2015, 04:06:53 pm
"Ginza left his booth to relieve himself, then came back with powdered donuts and collided with a group of students. He lost the horary, and by the time it was recovered the time to present it to the Minister had passed."
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 14, 2015, 05:30:29 pm
The manager thinks for a moment.

"I've seen that group of students around before. I'll arrange for them to be caught cheating. Escort them out, then find out who sent them... or if they really are just in the wrong place at the wrong time."
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 14, 2015, 10:04:34 pm
"Alright, chief. I've still got the horary, but if there's nothing else to be done then I guess I'll just hold onto it. I'm ready to deploy again, how long will it take to frame our suspicious persons?"
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 14, 2015, 10:26:05 pm
"It shouldn't take too long; go do something and I'll radio you when I've figured something out."
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 14, 2015, 10:32:15 pm
"Roger that, chief."

> Go find a good spot to observe the festival for a short while
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 15, 2015, 06:26:48 am
You usurp the Goldfish catching game. The group of girls has separated into two clumps - one clump is trying their hand at the goldfish game, while the other clump is watching the blue haired one win at Plinko.
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 15, 2015, 06:27:21 pm
> Watch the girls playing the game, paying close attention to their movements
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 15, 2015, 08:54:09 pm
The girls take their turns at the goldfish catching game, but none of them seem to be any good at it.

The owner of the Plinko game is now twisting his hat in frustration as Blue continues to rack up more points.
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 15, 2015, 11:10:05 pm
> Take interest, and try to lurk around the Plinko booth to observe her when I get the opportunity

This girl...is winning against the house?
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 16, 2015, 07:04:14 am
Peering closely at the Plinko game, you can confirm that Blue is somehow winning against the house.

Your radio is paging you. "Izuko, status?"
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 16, 2015, 08:27:09 am
> Answer

"I've got my sights on one girl in particular. Blue hair, glasses. She's really cleaning it up at the Plinko booth. Please advise."
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 16, 2015, 08:45:32 am
While you converse on the radio, all the girls gather around Blue.

"The Plinko booth? We may not need to do an elaborate scheme then. I'll send over some reinforcements. Remember, eject them from the festival first, that way if you have to... get rough, there will be fewer witnesses."
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 16, 2015, 08:52:49 am
"...Understood. Izuko out."

> Head over to them, approaching in a serious manner

"You girls, I'm going to have to ask you to leave."
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 16, 2015, 11:11:33 am
The pigtailed blonde that prevented the horary drop looks at you.

"Why? What did we do?"

There is a pinging and a slight tug coming from your inventory.
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 16, 2015, 11:18:17 am
> Address the ringing, wondering if it could possibly be the horary
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 16, 2015, 02:38:16 pm
You find a magnet and a Pinger in your inventory.

Do you try to frame the girls now or stall for backup?
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 16, 2015, 02:56:21 pm
> Stall for backup, because I'm STILL not sure what a Pinger does, even after training
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 16, 2015, 05:44:51 pm
What do you say or do in order to stall?
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 16, 2015, 05:45:48 pm
"You're suspicious persons, and we have reason to believe you're causing trouble. We have a few questions for you, after that little...incident that occurred."
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 16, 2015, 06:36:05 pm
Pigtails glares at you. "Are you throwing us out?"

Behind her, you see the cavalry arrive - headed by Hudson, who is hurriedly stuffing his pinger into his inventory when he sees you already confronting the girls.
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 16, 2015, 06:41:29 pm
"Yes, you're being thrown out. Now, leave the premises, or we'll have to drag you out instead."

> Indicate the security coming up behind them
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 16, 2015, 08:02:39 pm
With the aid of the cavalry, the girls are escorted far enough out of the festival to no longer be at the festival.

The brunette turns around, facing Hudson face-to-face. "All right!  I've had enough of this!  There's no way Ami would EVER cheat!  Now you're going to let us back in, or I'm going to make you let us in!"

Hudson sneers. "Ohhh, I'm so afraid.  The little girlie is threatening us."
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 16, 2015, 08:08:31 pm
"You can either walk out of here right now, or you're getting dragged out. If you don't leave right now, we can take a trip down to the station instead."
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 17, 2015, 06:59:56 am
The girls continue to resist, despite your best attempts at diplomacy. Composure -1

Blue, whose name apparently is Ami, speaks up. "All we've done is eat, listen to people sing, and play games."
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 17, 2015, 11:47:54 am
"If you really are innocent, then surely you wouldn't object to a search, would you?"
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 17, 2015, 06:16:03 pm
The girls protest, but they submit to a search. Four of the girls - including Ami - each carries an object that tugs at your memory. Pigtails' only unexplained object is a brooch with an overly large diamond in it. The last one is not suspicious at all, except for the fact that she's with the rest of these girls.

Hudson's Pinger reacts to Ami's purse, and he produces a magnet from it. "You were using this magnet to cheat the Plinko game," he lies. You're not sure how he got that magnet of yours in there, but it's good enough to frame them up with. You can probably interrogate them now since they seem to be caught off-guard by Hudson's 'discovery'.
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 17, 2015, 09:07:32 pm
What? He stole my idea! Ah well, at least I don't have to play dirty cop now...

"Alright, you're coming with us! We have some questions for you!"

> Take them away, wherever "away" is
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 17, 2015, 09:42:59 pm
Despite your best efforts, a fight breaks out as the girls resist... it's not exactly arrest, but it's pretty damn close. In the confusion, the perfectly average girl disappears, and the tall brunette blacks Hudson's eye (and starts beating him with his own nightstick). Eventually the fight stalls out when one of your men grabs Ami and puts a knife to her neck.

"All right, girls, surrender or your friend gets it."

The tall brunette is now missing, as is Hudson.


If you know the story, you know what's next.
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 17, 2015, 11:00:51 pm
> Immediately report this

"OFFICER DOWN, SUSPECTS RESISTING ARREST! HUDSON'S MISSING, AS IS ONE OF THE PRIORITY TARGETS, SUSPECT IS FEMALE, TALL WITH BROWN HAIR. SHE LIKELY HAS HUDSON WITH HER."

> Check inventory for any handcuffs or zip ties
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 18, 2015, 06:53:14 am
You check your inventory. You have handcuffs, but while you are rooting through your inventory a - you think it's a man - in white samurai armor shows up on horseback and knocks one of your guards over. "Harassing young girls seeking only to enjoy the fun to be found at a festival is truly ignoble.  I cannot allow that, for I am the White Knight, defender of innocents everywhere."

He chucks a ball of magic at another guard, who crumples in a heap.
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 18, 2015, 10:07:53 pm
> Start running and use the radio

"OFFICERS DOWN! GUY ON A HORSE SHOWED! HE CALLS HIMSELF THE WHITE KNIGHT! HE'S USING MAGIC AND ASSISTING THE GIRLS! REQUESTING EMERGENCY BACKUP! PLEASE ADVISE!"
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 19, 2015, 06:09:04 am
To clarify, running towards the White Knight?
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 19, 2015, 01:18:35 pm
> NO I'M RUNNING AWAY LIKE A COWARD
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 19, 2015, 06:21:01 pm
Since I can't tell if you're joking or not, you are now Hudson, who is trying very hard not to get further beaten by Brunette.

The White Knight takes the trash can containing Average Girl and flees the scene. The other guards run off, some after the White Knight, others follow Izuko's lead. Pigtails, for some reason, is now very angry. "I've had enough from these guys! Come on, Sailors, let's show them who they're messing with!"

"Cosmic Moon Power, Make-up!"

You watch as Brunette transforms into a Sailor Senshi, with a green skirt and pink boob bow. She does a double take, shakes her head in disbelief, and menaces you.

"Tell anyone what you've seen, and I'll find you and rip off your head, punk."


Panic + 9001
I will award you brownie points if you can give the proper quote here.
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 19, 2015, 07:58:58 pm
> Try not to cough up more blood

"I'm too old for this shit."
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 19, 2015, 08:32:23 pm
The Sailor Senshi go chasing after the group of guards that chased after the White Knight. You follow discreetly.

Sailor Moon strikes a pose. "I am the beautiful sailor-suited fighter for love and justice, Sailor Moon! In the name of the moon, I will punish you!"

Izuko thinks for a moment, then moves to withdraw. "I am the reasonably well dressed Izuko!  I work for cash! I'm outta here!" She flees before the Senshi can get their attacks off. The corridor fills with fog, beams of light, and flames.

Your boss is going to have one hell of a debriefing session over this. You hear Sailor Mercury comment before making your withdrawal.

"Well, they were only ordinary humans.  They're no match for the Sailor Senshi.  We must have stumbled into some kind of Yakuza plot."
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 19, 2015, 09:35:10 pm
> Get to a secure location

"...I come home from the war for this? Is this how much things have changed back home?"
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 20, 2015, 07:02:30 am
In your panic, the only secure location you think of is the manager's office. You return there.

Izuko is already being debriefed by the Manager.

"Hmm.  The White Knight... that means..."

"Yes, sir?"

"The Princess not only has been reborn... she is here.  In Tokyo.  The White Knight would never go far from her side.  This long search is over, and I shall have the credit.  Now it only remains to be seen which of the six is the Princess.  Once we find her, the day for which the Council has so long awaited shall come.  Tell me every petty detail you can remember, Izuko.  We must find them and determine which one of them is the Princess. Then, we can take her power for our own. "


END OF CHAPTER EXPOSITION:

Izuko and Hudson led the security for the New Years' Festival with only two incidents of note - one involving a drunkard who got a bit too close to the Manager's Office; and the other involving six girls, five of whom turned out to be the Sailor Senshi. While the Horary Drop did fail, nobody was punished or even reprimanded too hard. As it turned out, the discovery that The Princess has been reborn set the Council on its ear, and in the mess only Capricorn though to reprimand Ginza for leaving his station.

Now that the option to reclaim... something from the reborn princess is on the table, it was no longer necessary to manipulate small things to nudge events years in the future. But, that the Princess seems to be numbered among the Sailor Senshi has not escaped the notice of the Council. Though they would much rather not be enemies to such powerful protectors, especially in light of the repelled invasion of Pharaoh Ninety and the Daimohns, so long as they protect the Princess they stand in the ways of the council's goals.

As for Hudson and Izuko, both were granted a month's recovery.
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 20, 2015, 07:45:36 pm
I patiently wait until I become the animating force of another character.
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 20, 2015, 07:50:35 pm
I'm hoping that I don't have to override your choice again in the future; I needed to introduce the fact that you're technically enemies with the heroes and that this happens some time after they got done with beating back the Death Busters. Izuko fleeing the scene entirely kinda threw a wrench in that one, and canonically (in so far as there is canon for this) (http://www.thekeep.org/~wombat/Stories/Z/Ep1) Hudson panics and faints when Jupiter threatens him. Once I figure a couple things out I'll have the next module ready to go. Will you be sticking with Izuko or switching to Hudson?

E: The next module is mostly fluff and isn't covered in the source material at all.
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 20, 2015, 08:00:00 pm
I'll flip a coin for that one, as I have no preference either way. Heads for Izuko, tails for Hudson.

It's heads, I'll be rolling with Izuko.
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 20, 2015, 08:06:51 pm
Let's make this an informed decision then. If you roll with Hudson, you'll be spying on a member of the council at the behest of another member of the council (giving you an inside look as to both who you're working for and why they're in opposition to the Sailors), while if you roll with Izuko you'll be setting up for later events (it's probably a dick move to offer this choice as it ends up being a Shoot the Shaggy Dog, but it's worldbuilding).
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 20, 2015, 08:14:46 pm
I'll stick with Izuko in that case.
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 20, 2015, 08:38:04 pm
Well, they do say that Ignorance is Bliss...

The Ascendant, Aries, calls you into his office, along with Hudson.

"It has been an interesting month under Pisces' guidance," He begins. "The Sailor Senshi have repelled two monster attacks that damaged - though did not destroy - Hikawa Shrine. From what our intelligence has gathered, it was the same monster twice, which in itself is unusual as the Senshi generally do not allow monsters to have such a second chance. 'Casts report that the Sailor Senshi were attempting to restore knowledge to The Princess, which would put us in a detrimental position. We're going to use the backup singer auditions for Idol Angel Mami to try and lure out either the Senshi or The Princess - hopefully separately from each other - to increase our odds of taking The Princess alive."

He sighs for a moment, then continues. "Normally the two of you would be assigned to this task, however as we anticipate the Senshi getting involved it would be unwise for them to see either of you two again as the 'casts predict a strong chance of recognition should you interact with them. In that light, I had Scorpio root around for tasks suited to your skills. Hudson, you will be working under Virgo for the duration of the month. Izuko, you will be reporting directly to Scorpio this month. Neither should have you anywhere near the front lines."
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 21, 2015, 03:55:46 am
"Understood, sir. When will I deploy?"
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 21, 2015, 07:37:27 am
Out of the shadows steps a woman with deep purple hair. You'd seen that look before in cartoons, usually on characters of royal or noble heritage, but there's nothing Noble about how this woman composes herself.

"Izuko, I will brief you in brief on the way to my office. I'd rather not have Aries in particular listen in to the conversation, as he needs to focus primarily on his scheme and we would distract from that."

Aries - almost imperceptibly - is startled when Scorpio speaks; apparently he was not expecting her to just be there like that.


(If you've played Long Live The Queen, imagine an older Elodie with this color hair)
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 22, 2015, 11:46:25 am
"Very well, I'm hoping to make sense of all of this, ever since...the incident."

> Start walking
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 22, 2015, 09:27:51 pm
You walk and talk.

"We're actually going to grab a few of the Potentials once Leo's done giving the introductory speech; what I've got in mind needs a few full timers and you're going to be needed on missions while they're doing their thing, but you're gonna help us get in at Moon Hill Experiment House."

You catch a snatch of the introductory speech.

"...and took up a task. Vulcan was the maker, who forged Talismans of Power and the five great Icons of the Kingdoms.  Astra was wise with the power of the stars.  To her fell the task of patrolling the solar system and...
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 23, 2015, 11:11:15 am

"Doesn't seem too challenging. Is there already a plan of action, or am I going to have to use a little ingenuity?"
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 23, 2015, 05:56:50 pm
Scorpio thinks on this for a moment. "I'm going to entrust the execution of this to you. Surprise me, and I'll keep you in mind for future missions."

You catch another blather waffle fried up by Leo. "...was founded by Sagittarius once it became evident that the Zodiac by itself would not be able to handle a repeat of the incident. Consider yourselves proud to be part of such an ancient tradition..."
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 23, 2015, 08:39:18 pm
"I might enjoy this, then. What's my loadout going to be? Or am I going into this naked?"
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 23, 2015, 10:16:23 pm
Scorpio smirks. "Don't phrase it like that when Hudson's around; he was quite the lecher before the incident and I for one am quite glad he broke that habit for the time being. As for loadout... you've got everything you need already, if you think you need more just use your Requisitionizer like you're supposed to."

I really like doing this open-ended inventory thing. Long story short, ask if you have it. If I can work it into the scenario, you have it. If not, I'll throw out suggestions. There's exactly one place that's required for you to have a gun regardless of who you are, and that's at the very end. There's another place where you're required to have a gun if you're playing as Hudson, and you'll know it when you see it. There's another point later on where you'll want weaponry but not a gun specifically.
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 24, 2015, 01:16:29 pm
> Double-check that I have pepper spray, a lockpick set, zip ties, a taser, and duct tape
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 24, 2015, 05:59:29 pm
You left your pepper spray in your other inventory. You do have a lockpick set, zip ties, and duct tape. Hudson 'borrowed' your taser after the last incident and hasn't returned it yet.
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 24, 2015, 06:22:55 pm
"As long as everything doesn't get too crazy, I should be fine."

> Accept that there is literally no way this won't go crazy now that I said that

"So I just need to open a good route for everybody to enter through?"
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 24, 2015, 07:37:48 pm
Scorpio blinks when she realizes what you're thinking of. "Not 'in' as in 'break in to steal shit', 'in' as in 'embed ourselves in the management system'. Though to be perfectly honest nobody's going to audit their inventory or yours when all is said and done."
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 24, 2015, 09:48:04 pm
"Ah, that'll make this a bit trickier, then. Who are the POIs over at the house?"
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 24, 2015, 10:08:37 pm
"Senior Staff, mostly. I don't think we can subvert the principal though so we may need to replace him outright with an agent. We just need to have enough of our people in place so that if the Princess ends up attending school there we can swoop in without issue."
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 26, 2015, 12:29:35 am
"And if things start to take a sudden turn for the worse, how lethal am I allowed to go?"
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 26, 2015, 06:41:46 am
Scorpio takes a moment to consider the question. "Dead bodies raise the wrong sort of questions. Accidents raise fewer."
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 27, 2015, 02:26:03 am
"And if I am to come across any of the Sailor Senshi, am I to refrain from engaging them in any way?"
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 27, 2015, 08:35:42 am
Scorpio nods. "Report and withdraw in that instance. The senshi already see us as enemies, and given we're trying to subvert a school for our own ends we'd likely incur the wrath of Mercury at the very least. Though I don't see her defending that particular school."

Leo's speech ends, and Scorpio picks out a somewhat lanky man with bright red hair, and a stout woman of darker brown. Her hair is also brown.

"Taneko, Mizuki, as I briefed you previously the two of you will be working to replace two of the senior staff at Moon Hill Experiment House. Izuko here will assist as needed."
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 28, 2015, 12:29:48 pm
> Nod and acknowledge my peers

"I look forward to working with you."
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 28, 2015, 01:30:06 pm
The two of them nod, and the three of you depart after retrieving your taser from Hudson.
----
Moon Hill Experiment House is a particularly new school, that focuses on the concept of "Teaching By Immersion". All of the staff and students, regardless of starting skill, are forced to be Americans during the school day. Some of the students take this to heart, while others do it as a survival mechanism.

You're standing outside of the main entrance, with Mizuki and Taneko nearby. It is dark.
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 28, 2015, 02:19:24 pm
"Alright, we'll keep in touch by radio. First, let's circle the perimeter and look for entrances. I don't think anybody will be here at this time, but report any findings."
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 28, 2015, 03:29:14 pm
Your associates separate. Taneko cycles around clockwise, while Mizuki cycles counterclockwise.

You are now unwatched.
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 28, 2015, 04:00:41 pm
> Approach the building from the front, inspecting the front entrance
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 28, 2015, 10:44:55 pm
After a quick casing, the door appears to be unlocked.
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 29, 2015, 12:33:59 am
> Make sure there aren't any security cameras, then move in and open the door, entering the experiment house

"Agent Izuko, making entry through front door."
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 29, 2015, 06:24:46 am
Your associates acknowledge and begin to return to the front entrance.

You don't see any security cameras, so you push your way in. As it turns out, two of the janitorial staff are making out on a bench near the front door. Good thing Hudson isn't here, he would blow your cover so wide with a lewd comment.
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 29, 2015, 07:30:04 pm
This place is dirty enough with the janitors actually doing their jobs.

> Sneak past, heading towards the main office

"Be advised, two members of the janitorial staff are...canoodling on a bench near the entrance."
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 29, 2015, 08:22:57 pm
"Acknowledged."

What you imagine hearing is "We will bring our cameras."

You sneak over to the main office. The lights are on and the door is ajar. Oddly enough, it is propped open with an empty jar.
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 29, 2015, 09:27:53 pm
> Inspect the jar without touching it, before entering, keeping a low profile
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 29, 2015, 09:45:11 pm
It's just an empty jar.
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 29, 2015, 10:09:47 pm
...Weird choice for a doorstop.

> Look through the windows, trying to see if there's anybody occupying the offices
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 30, 2015, 06:30:33 am
You peer through the windows and see another door that's ajar. You also see custodial materials.
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 30, 2015, 11:05:05 am
> Take a close look at the custodial materials, keeping an eye out for any "wet floor" signs
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 30, 2015, 06:08:43 pm
You don't see anything of interest.
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 30, 2015, 06:09:48 pm
> Approach the open door carefully
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on June 30, 2015, 10:27:15 pm
And then what?
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on June 30, 2015, 10:39:53 pm
> Look inside the office, with a hand on my taser

Who would still be here at this late hour?
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on July 01, 2015, 06:23:38 am
You sneak into the office to find... you tase by reflex. Nobody wants to see that. Maybe you should just leave him there; it'd get him fired in the morning for sure.
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on July 01, 2015, 09:23:05 am
WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE I DID NOT SIGN UP FOR THIS WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY

> Don't radio it in out of embarrassment, and just leave the offices entirely and sneak through the halls
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on July 01, 2015, 06:39:23 pm
You sneak through the halls and come across a computer server room. You pick the lock with some difficulty.
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on July 01, 2015, 07:09:53 pm
> Open the door, interested in seeing what information is to be obtained, trying to access a computer
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on July 01, 2015, 07:38:49 pm
You see the following prompt:

moneypenny@recordserv:~#
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on July 03, 2015, 03:17:10 pm
God I'm terrible with computers.

> Try to access the school files
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on July 03, 2015, 07:19:58 pm
After some fumbling about, you manage to pull up a non-text interface and begin to modify the staff database.

This isn't as bad as you thought it'd be. You manage to add your associates to the staff list under the pseudonyms Q and Alec Trevelyan. Odd that the last one wasn't in use already.

You're about to begin adding a third name when you get spooked by the sound of footsteps.
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on July 03, 2015, 08:03:13 pm
> Exit out and hide behind a server, hoping it isn't that creep from the office
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on July 04, 2015, 06:05:51 am
It's cops. They've got Office Creep in handcuffs and are searching for other intruders.
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on July 04, 2015, 01:21:44 pm
Wait, that guy DOESN'T work here? Thank God for that, I guess. But...what the hell was he doing in here, then?
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on July 04, 2015, 09:34:55 pm
You overhear a snatch of the conversation.

"...police station, where you may call a lawyer before being interrogated. Do you understand?"
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on July 04, 2015, 11:33:22 pm
> Try to quietly radio in

"We have police in the server room, searching the place. They bagged some...creep that was in the office. Data modified, you're in the staff list."
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on July 04, 2015, 11:38:36 pm
"Understood. We're going to meet up at the Colonel Chicken across from the bank afterwards. Let us know if anything else comes up."
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on July 04, 2015, 11:53:53 pm
> Stay in hiding, waiting for the fuzz to clear out

I WISH I could testify against that guy in court. WHO DOES THAT? WHO CAN DO THAT AND STILL GO OUT IN PUBLIC?
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on July 05, 2015, 12:32:26 am
A cop spots you and tips his hat at you. "Sorry for the disturbance, ma'am. We're just arresting that pervert you reported earlier."
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on July 05, 2015, 01:45:16 am
> Remember to act natural, Izuko, you've got this

"Great! Perfect, thank you, officer, thank you for your prompt response! A thousand thank yous! I was just...so surprised, and horrified, so I was hiding back here!"
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on July 13, 2015, 08:14:59 pm
(Sorry for the delay folks, I've written myself into a corner and am kinda waiting to see how the Mafia game goes)

The cops escort the pervert out. All quiets down after a moment.
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on July 21, 2015, 12:43:54 am
> Attempt to regain composure, and report in

"The infiltration is a success. I'm Oscar Mike to the Colonel Chicken."

> Head out, feeling a little hungry after all that
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on July 21, 2015, 07:05:26 am
Your report is received with relieved sighs. You leave for Colonel Chicken, your handiwork behind you.

On your way to the Colonel Chicken, you pass by the ruins of Mugen School. It was here that the Sailor Senshi had recently pushed back the Death Busters and their master, Pharaoh Ninety of the Tau Nebula. Had they fallen, not even the Zodiac and their Star Guard could have withstood the invasion. This, more than anything else, reminds you of the urgency in finding the Star Princess and reclaiming her power.
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on July 22, 2015, 08:55:23 pm
To think this is the sort of power we're dealing with here...and the search starts by spying on a school of all places.

> Remember back to the night of...THE INCIDENT

...I'm still not sure they're paying me enough for this.
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on July 22, 2015, 10:50:43 pm
You remember the incident. Unfortunately all you have are faces, not names. Not very helpful in narrowing down candidates, and you're not even certain if any of those girls were the Princess anyway. You're pretty sure, however, that you are underpaid.

You arrive at Colonel Chicken and notice your colleagues sitting in a booth nearby.

"Hey, you just missed a message from The Top. Apparently there was a dimensional breach on the outskirts of town. Sailor Senshi took care of it, though."
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on July 23, 2015, 06:36:31 pm
"A breach? What was it this time?"

> Sit down, seeing if they were so kind as to at least buy me dinner
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on July 23, 2015, 06:48:00 pm
You sit down and take a drumstick from the bucket.

"We're not sure. The readings that Sagittarius took reminded him of the Droid attacks from last year, but he said and I quote 'it was too primitive to be a Droid'. Maybe it has something to do with the Rip he detected before the Droid attacks."
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on July 24, 2015, 03:09:25 am
> Eat the chicken, starting to wonder whether or not I even felt like having Colonel Chicken in the first place

"Typical. Doesn't that mean that it could be practically anything else?"
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on July 24, 2015, 06:45:28 am
"Well no. Did anyone ever tell you what exactly the Rip is?" He puts his chicken down and picks up a napkin. "Before last year's Droid attacks, and even before the Cardians, there's a gap in everyone's memories. Everyone's. Yours, mine, the Zodiacs, that waitress... the only reason we noticed it was because our tech staff keeps really good logs. It's like a year or something disappeared. Nobody even knows when exactly you and Hudson joined the Star Guard. One day you weren't with us, then the Rip occurs and here you two are."

He sighs. "Not that you and Hudson are bad operatives, it's just... something happened and we don't know what. All of the readings indicate that the Silver Crystal had a hand in it, which makes no sense since Sailor Moon and company didn't even show up until after the Rip - their first appearance coincides with the Cardian attacks."

He picks up his chicken again and studies it. "Sagittarius thinks that the signal is actually from something that caused the Rip, but he's got no way of proving it."
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on July 24, 2015, 11:26:57 am
"Surely we couldn't have been the only ones to notice an entire calendar year disappearing. I mean, wouldn't there be evidence of a lot of things that had changed? Videotapes? Recorded news programs?"

> Try to remember anything from before this monkey business started
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on July 24, 2015, 08:27:17 pm
"That's just it, though. Numerically the years match up, but the actual events are disjointed. It's less someone deleted a year so much as it never actually happened - outside from the effects of whatever actually did happen that year. Ever have a dream where a week of things happens but it's still only the next day when you wake up? Or a dream so real that when you wake up you can't tell what was the dream and what's reality?"
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on July 25, 2015, 01:43:12 am
"I've got to give you credit, you're the first person to give it to me that straightforward. But if we're getting similar readings, is there a chance that something similar is currently happening, or might happen again?"

> Glance out the window
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on July 25, 2015, 08:20:24 am
You glance out the window and spot a leathery red winged thing. Nobody else seems to notice.

Something in the back of your mind says "Ravator".
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on July 25, 2015, 05:10:43 pm
"Huh. There's a Ravator out there, burning the midnight oil, it seems."

> Bite into my chicken
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: Pokota on July 25, 2015, 09:59:53 pm
Your companions do not understand what you just said, so they ignore it.

All in all, the mission was a success. Scorpio's operatives were inserted successfully into Moon Hill Experiment House as recruiting personnel, which allowed for Scorpio to further infiltrate and subvert the administration.

Later in the month, another dimensional breach occurred - and once again the Sailor Senshi repelled the attack. Both attacks, however, bore the same signature - and both occurred at the Hikawa Shrine, which has a history of being attacked; and of being preserved by the Sailor Senshi. The following month sees Hudson off on a training retreat, while Izuko takes a much needed vacation at the Five Roaring Springs. Outside of Aries disrupting a marketing ploy by Idol Angel Mami's promoters and a minor monster attack that you didn't get involved in since you were off-duty, nothing of note happened. Though the Zodiac did learn that Hino Rei is Sailor Mars, thanks to Aries' ill-thought out attack.

Unfortunately, your mission immediately following your vacation wasn't all guns 'n roses. You were paired with Hudson to track the movements of... a piece of money. You swear, if you get paired with him for surveillance work again you can't possibly be held responsible for your actions, and Pollux's demands that you spy on Aino Minako (now known to be Sailor Venus) for the sake of being a jealous ex-girlfriend can't possibly be in line with the Zodiac's ultimate goals...


Hoo boy, was this ever the Exposition Episode. There's a lot going on during this module that doesn't actually come in to play yet, and I need to find my notes before we can go on to the next module. And anyone who paid attention to the first season of Sailor Moon probably knows what I'm referring to with the Rip. There's a bit of fluff that happens during the bit we're skipping, but the gist of it is that Hudson was part of a Strike Force that all but got wiped out by an incursion of Things. He was the only survivor from the battle, and was taken off of the strike force after that.
Title: Re: Ad Astra
Post by: DraconicDescendant on July 28, 2015, 04:16:01 am
The web of intrigue is continuing to unfold. I'm interested to see where this leads, but I have almost no knowledge of the source material.