I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Gaiden 1.2 patch released. Click here to download!

Author Topic: Woah.  (Read 2544 times)

Neo

• God of Music. Also, Mort was sexually assaulted by Bidoof.
  • HUZZAH
    • View Profile
Woah.
« on: November 27, 2010, 09:58:46 pm »

If you were born blind, deaf, mute, without the ability to touch, taste, smell, and all those other good senses, gone, would you exist? Perhaps you'd dream, but of what, seeing as you've no building blocks from this world to start from?
So you gonna fight me with that thing?
Damn turrets. Damn Vinewalls. Damn Lasers.Damn Ceiling. Damn GUY

4/5/11 Never Forget.
Derf <3's Neo for making him a mod <3

I think we should just add to the rules that I'll be in every mafia by default.

Kwiftee

• R ANGRY
  • That guy who's always ranting about stuff.
    • View Profile
    • http://no
Re: Woah.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 10:16:07 pm »

Yes. You would exist. You would have no perception of your own existence, perhaps, but that's irrelevant. A rock has no perception of it's own existence, but it certainly exists.

The question of whether or not reality is a subjective thing has always kind of irritated me, because it isn't. "Reality is the state of things as they actually exist, rather than as they may appear or may be thought to be." (thanks wikipedia!)

Sure, it hypothetically could be that there's no world outside of our own senses, but EVERY PIECE OF EVIDENCE SUGGESTS that that isn't the case. There's a relevant 1984 quote where O'Brien says there isn't a world separate from consciousness, but I can't be bothered finding it and I'm sure Mark'll be all over this thread anyways.

EDIT: Oh, in the case that by 'would you exist' you mean 'would you be conscious,' then honestly I have no idea. I can't imagine what it would be like. I can't give a source, but I have a vague recollection of reading something that said that people who were blind from birth could still 'see' things in their head, but it's hard to say how accurate that is.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 10:19:04 pm by Kwiftee »
zyxfrlpso
Quote from: Yuletideriz
My god, if I could shit gold and I give it to you, you would still bitch because it was technically crap.
how about you GO ON IRC RIGHT NOW PLEASE

Neo

• God of Music. Also, Mort was sexually assaulted by Bidoof.
  • HUZZAH
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 10:23:16 pm »

Alright, but I'm just curious, what do you think that'd be like? Not having any perception of your own existence, I mean. Your brain would surely create something to do to keep it busy, right? Providing you're alive and healthy. This is all completely hypothetical.

And how do we know rocks have no perception of themselves?? ...Ok, that's pushing it.
So you gonna fight me with that thing?
Damn turrets. Damn Vinewalls. Damn Lasers.Damn Ceiling. Damn GUY

4/5/11 Never Forget.
Derf <3's Neo for making him a mod <3

I think we should just add to the rules that I'll be in every mafia by default.

Kwiftee

• R ANGRY
  • That guy who's always ranting about stuff.
    • View Profile
    • http://no
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 10:27:20 pm »

Alright, but I'm just curious, what do you think that'd be like? Not having any perception of your own existence, I mean. Your brain would surely create something to do to keep it busy, right? Providing you're alive and healthy. This is all completely hypothetical.

Well, no idea! I mean, my first reaction was "you'd still be able to think," but you'd never have learned a language so I'm not sure how true that would be (because, do you think in a language? Partially, I reckon.) Possibly you'd live in a state similar to an animal, but even that wouldn't be true. Honestly it's kind of a difficult question to answer.

And how do we know rocks have no perception of themselves?? ...Ok, that's pushing it.

BECAUSE THEY DON'T OKAY :3
zyxfrlpso
Quote from: Yuletideriz
My god, if I could shit gold and I give it to you, you would still bitch because it was technically crap.
how about you GO ON IRC RIGHT NOW PLEASE

Venser

• Gloved Modulator
  • Godmin
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 01:15:51 am »

I think Kwiftee's pretty much covered it. Whatever exists, exists, and whether things exist or not has nothing to do with their intelligence or makeup of different patterns of matter.
Ybbald: I read that as "deadly venser"
Ybbald: and I was like
Ybbald: "when is venser NOT deadly?"

Arkhanno: We'll have to out-source to the US. I know of a great doctor with lifeguard training that can do anything with a 90% success rate

Evan20k: Sherlock Holmes didn't have 5 arms and 6 penises and lifeguard training

LOLGAMMER

• aka lolgamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 07:10:33 am »

FUCK