I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Gaiden 1.2 patch released. Click here to download!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Westboro Baptist Church  (Read 13315 times)

That One Guy

Re: Westboro Baptist Church
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2011, 05:23:15 pm »

It's the US. They're too fucking idiotic to reveal that there is no god, so they support the religious faggot extremists instead of just religious faggots.

Don't get me wrong, I hate the U.S., but I think that in a sense you are doing the same thing by saying "they are too fucking idiotic to reveal that there is no god". The fact of the matter isn't whether god exists or not, because it can't be proven either way, it's how we interpret god. To quote Stephen Hawking "One can't prove that God doesn't exist, but science makes God unnecessary.".

Huh...Never thought of that. I really should think things through instead of just running through it without a thought.

ybbald

« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2011, 05:50:21 pm »

The WBC cannot criticize fags because it might offend people
Atheists cannot criticize religion because they might offend people
discuss

I hate the WBC and what they stand for, but freedom of speech is important

Neko Desu

• The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2011, 06:47:57 pm »

While homosexuality occurs naturally, religion does not. It is something that is indoctrinated upon people's minds; therefore we should be open to criticize it.

ybbald

« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2011, 06:53:01 pm »

so anything unnatural cannot be discussed?
we cannot talk about abortion, contraception, artificial insemination, or stem cell research

Alpha

• Prophet of Doom
  • The world is a vampire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2011, 06:55:51 pm »

I think it's hilarious when people say they hate the U.S., but would refuse to live anywhere else.

Neko Desu

• The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2011, 06:56:27 pm »

so anything unnatural cannot be discussed?
we cannot talk about abortion, contraception, artificial insemination, or stem cell research

By "natural" I meant that homosexuality is no fault of the individual's own and cannot be biologically changed (or can it? Not enough research to say yet). Religion on the other hand is passed on by the indoctrination of lies beliefs from parental or influential figures; it has produced many destructive results, as evidenced by the many religious wars we are having at the moment and throughout history.

ybbald

« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2011, 07:09:53 pm »

so people can't express their views if you don't like them?

Neko Desu

• The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2011, 07:43:17 pm »

Since I'm a liberal, I support restrictions upon the freedom of speech; and these "restrictions" mean that you cannot say anything that is directly insulting or causes emotional / psychological harm to another group. So, WBC is free to preach, but as soon as they say "God hates fags," they should not be free to preach anymore.

Pennywise

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 16, 2011, 02:20:32 am »

As much as dislike what the WBC(and many other people) say, I think that the first ammendment cannot be ignored for any reason. The fact is that they have a right to publicly express their views and to non-violent protest, and to make them an exception would cause corrupt politicians to cite this instance and manipulate it to their own advantage. I say let the natural(as in, not legal) consequences of their actions play out, and trust that they will one day get their just desserts.

While homosexuality occurs naturally, religion does not. It is something that is indoctrinated upon people's minds; therefore we should be open to criticize it.

Is religion really an unnatural thing? It is often saud that we are sentient beings because we are capable of looking up at the stars and wondering, "what's out there? How does it affect us? How id it begin? Did someone create." From these questions, an intelligent human would attempt to seek an answer, or a personal truth, and thus, they create a religion. Social interaction is a natural part of any beings existence, and what religion essentially is is a universal social phenomonon.

Also, I am not lying when I say I hate the U.S.. I wish I was oput of this intellectual cess-pit and somewhere where ignorance isn't an encouraged social standard. As soon as I get a degree, I'm moving to Canada or Italy. Preferably Italy
If I am posting, it likely means that I desire to have a meaningful discussion, so if you desire to engage me in conversation, please refrain from using netspeak contractions or insulting me for my views and please add substance to your arguments while elaborating on any point you make. Thank you.

ybbald

« Reply #69 on: June 16, 2011, 06:01:52 am »

Midlight, anyone could claim that something is emotionally harmful to them when someone says something they don't agree with. And I've never heard of liberals wanting to restrict free speech.

Why should you be offended by the phrase "god hates fags" when you don't believe in any god anyway?

Fidel CashFlow

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 16, 2011, 03:37:12 pm »

Master race of Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms reporting in.
Freedom of speech should be limited. The preaching of hatred should be illegal, which it is in Canaderp.
Freedom of speech =/= Freedom to preach hatred.
Despy just meatspun us. I. Have. No. Words.

Neko Desu

• The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2011, 06:05:33 pm »

Exactly what Fidel Castro Cashflow said.

Simply limit the freedom of speech to "You cannot target, insult, or advocate hatred against a minority." This preserves democracy and allows protest to still be possible in the case of corruption.

ybbald

« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2011, 07:13:07 pm »

can you target a majority?

Neko Desu

• The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2011, 07:15:06 pm »

Why would you?

ybbald

« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2011, 07:17:56 pm »

Are you saying everyone will always agree with the majority? You can't dissent? religion is the majority.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7