I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Chat button has been eaten. Click here to join in the idling fun!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Westboro Baptist Church  (Read 13290 times)

Fidel CashFlow

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm God.
    • View Profile
Re: Westboro Baptist Church
« Reply #75 on: June 16, 2011, 07:25:31 pm »

How about "If anything that you preach advocates hatred, discrimination, prejudice, sexism, homophobia, racism, or any other factors which gradually may lead to genocide; You go to jail."
Despy just meatspun us. I. Have. No. Words.

ybbald

« Reply #76 on: June 16, 2011, 07:28:04 pm »

that's starting from the assumption genocide is bad, what about those who believe otherwise? Why can't they express their beliefs?

Neko Desu

• The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2011, 08:00:24 pm »

Because, we don't want to return back to the dark ages.

ybbald

« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2011, 08:48:04 pm »

who says the dark ages are wrong? Why can't anyone disagree with you? You're saying everyone has to agree on your priority and ideals

Neko Desu

• The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2011, 08:55:46 pm »

That's what every politician says. I mean, "liberal" and "conservative" exist for a reason; different politicians want their view of how society should be run imposed upon their country. No one politician can satisfy the needs of every. I am a liberal, and I want equality for all minorities; that's my belief.

Venser

• Gloved Modulator
  • Godmin
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2011, 02:02:37 am »

Ybbald is right. If you start protecting specific groups, such as minorities, it's particularly unfair and unjust to protect unequally. Therefore, you must protect the opposite groups as well.
Ybbald: I read that as "deadly venser"
Ybbald: and I was like
Ybbald: "when is venser NOT deadly?"

Arkhanno: We'll have to out-source to the US. I know of a great doctor with lifeguard training that can do anything with a 90% success rate

Evan20k: Sherlock Holmes didn't have 5 arms and 6 penises and lifeguard training

Kayin

• Well.. They're more like giant cherries...
  • Administrator
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 17, 2011, 03:02:32 am »

Midlight Dusk, are you such a little bitch that the idea that some people might get their feelings hurt that you're willing to do the far more damaging and damning thing and erode the most BASIC right? That disgusts me. Grow a pair.

And don't bring "I'm a liberal" into this, like somehow that's an excuse for anything, or that 'well that's my belief' gives you an imaginary opinion shield. The vast majority of this board is probably make up of fucking liberals anyways, so what does that even mean? Fuck, I'm probably 'mostly liberal'.  Everyone is entitled to their opinions and some of them suck and ass and some of them are beautifully supported and defended. You don't want to go to the dark ages, but you want to cut freedom of expression? .. And for what? So a bunch of people won't get offended?

No one has the right to not be offended. Every last whitey, spic, nigger, kyke, fag and breeder is going to be offended at some point, but you know what? As much as they hurt, they're just words. They're god damned mouth sounds. They're powerful mouth sounds, as arguably out freedom of speech is our most important. It allows us to communicate ideas and those ideas are what have gotten us to the point where the insane ramblings of a small group like the WBC cannot break us.

And who decides who's a minority anyways? Or whats 'hate speech'? Or what is satire and comedy, and what isn't? What if so called hate speech is valid? If I called Islamic fundamentalists a bunch of sociopaths, is that hate against a minority? Well, actually it is, but is it unjustified? Fuck, are sociopaths minorities? They certainly had no control over it! If a woman is gang raped by a dozen black men and she says something anti black due to her traumatic experience, should she be punished? Even if  what she is saying is unfounded and untrue, should she be punished? If a black woman got raped by a bunch of white men and she had the same thing happen, should she be punished? If blacks go on a breeding rampage and we become the minority, was it retroactively racist now that it's our turn to criticize everyone else?

This is such a loaded issue, with so much to lose and not a lot to gain. It's a high minded ideal with not a shred of practicality and some downright backward misunderstandings about equality. There is a reason we generally don't fuck with the bill of rights. I will grant that guns are a squishy issue, but in general you do not fuck with it.

Neko Desu

• The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2011, 12:44:22 pm »

Okay.

The freedom of speech here in Canada is more limited than in America, and I like it a lot better that way. There is almost zero racism or sexism (aside from jokes, of course); you cannot express homophobia publicly (especially not in schools), and we really don't experience any problems with it at all. It's just how I prefer my lifestyle.

Edit: There's just something about the WBC that is just intrinsically infuriating. You shouldn't preach hatred against another group if they've never caused any harm to you in the first place. Also, take note that limiting the freedom of speech does not mean inciting hatred against religion; I never said that both groups were unprotected equally. Their rights, along with those of homosexuals, also exist; the problem is that they started it first.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 12:50:27 pm by Midlight Dusk »

ybbald

« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2011, 12:54:34 pm »

The problem with religion is that those who don't believe it might influence your friends and family to turn away from god, leading them to go to hell. You can't risk your loved ones being influenced by those who are so wrong and do the work of the devil, so you must eradicate them to be safe. After all, they're going to hell anyway. What difference does a few years make?

Neko Desu

• The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2011, 12:59:59 pm »

I see that you've acquired an interesting new sig, Mister Parrot.

Some beliefs are just violent and wrong, and they should be eradicated. For example, nazism is banned in Germany, and I don't see any problems they have with the freedom of speech over there. Personally, I don't see any difference between a fundamentalist and a nazi.

Kayin

• Administrator
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2011, 01:41:58 pm »

Can't even have Nazis in video games and IWBTG would have to have green blood to be 'released' there.

Venser

• Gloved Modulator
  • Godmin
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2011, 01:49:12 pm »

Kayin, that's not strictly true - Nazis in video games can be found there, although oftentimes it will be required that games with Nazis in them are held behind the counter and must be purchased with valid ID. (If I recall correctly, CoD: Black Ops somehow bypassed that, because it has swastikas and such all over the first zombies map).

Regardless, Kayin has pretty much covered everything here very articulately.
Ybbald: I read that as "deadly venser"
Ybbald: and I was like
Ybbald: "when is venser NOT deadly?"

Arkhanno: We'll have to out-source to the US. I know of a great doctor with lifeguard training that can do anything with a 90% success rate

Evan20k: Sherlock Holmes didn't have 5 arms and 6 penises and lifeguard training

Kayin

• Administrator
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2011, 02:11:31 pm »

Doing some reading, it seems the situation is the same. Are you sure they didn't just change the textures? I wouldn't be surprised if they managed to work out their censorship laws better, but I can't find anything on that.

Anyways, the only time defending freedom of speech means anything is when defending people you disagree with or often hate.

Fidel CashFlow

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2011, 04:50:33 pm »

The only problem I have with the preaching of hatred is that it generally leads to much worse things. Sure, at first it starts with name calling, jokes and slurs but eventually that kind of discussion leads to the degradation and dehumanization of that group. And once a group of people have become slightly dehumanized they may begin to be avoided, not hired for jobs, discriminated against, etc. Once a group is being regularly and sometimes even systematically discriminated against ("Colored fountains") violence against that group may become justified and in extreme cases genocide may become a possibility. Which, isn't as rare as one would expect.

Although WBC will pretty much never lead to this. Ever. Aside from the family and it's very small group of followers, the Westboro Baptist Church is ridiculed by pretty much everyone else.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 04:53:02 pm by Fidel CashFlow »
Despy just meatspun us. I. Have. No. Words.

Mort, the Lonely

• ¡Lamerator!
  • Least Powerful Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 22, 2011, 06:25:00 pm »

They're going to fucking protest Ryan Dunn's funeral.

I have to question their IQ on this one. The entire Jackass crew will be there. The CKY crew will be there. And there's going to be a fuckton of Jackass and CKY fans there most likely.

Odds of Phelps getting the shit kicked out of him, or the WBC members there being humiliated or physically assaulted? I'd say 99.9%. Especially since Bam Margera seems to be close to completely losing it given the interview he gave on Fox today.
“Oh my god if Mort came back I am so going to kill someone.”
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7