I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Chat button has been eaten. Click here to join in the idling fun!

Author Topic: Torrent Help  (Read 1289 times)

ybbald

Torrent Help
« on: April 23, 2011, 04:00:12 pm »

So I'm not very good at torrents, I just mainly use them to DL stuff. But I'm trying to stop being a leecher and actually seed them and maybe upload some harder to find stuff, you know, so I'm not that scumbag leecher who never seeds.

So Miro is ok for DL'ing stuff but I'm starting to use Bittorrent cause it can do more. So my first question is this. I have several torrents I downloaded from miro that are open in it and are seeding from it. Is there a way to seed them from bittorrent, or do I just need to leave miro open for a few more days and just use bittorrent for all my new torrents?

Also, I uploaded a thing on Bittorrent and I accidentally did it while the file was in an awkward location on my harddrive, so I want to move the file I'm seeding, but when I did that, bittorrent got mad at me and couldn't keep seeing it. So how can I move this torrent to another location on my harddrive and keep seeding?

Kudo.

• The Guy
  • Shin Megami Tennis
    • View Profile
Re: Torrent Help
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 04:31:01 pm »

Swapping programs? Shouldn't be a problem.

First, you should probably keep everything you're seeding in one folder. Having everything moved around complicates a lot of crap. In settings, you should be able to set which folder Bittorrent recognizes for this purpose.

So all those things you downloaded from Miro? Set them all in one folder, if they're already there, great. Now, Preferences->Directories. You can either choose to have stuff downloading in one folder and seeding in another, or be like me and shove it all in one. Set up the directories as listed (I think you can figure this part out, if not, downloading goes in the one labeled "New downloads" and seeding goes in "Move completed downloads to"). If they still aren't seeding, do a Force Re-check, it should find the files. As an example of this, I set my directory to download and upload directly to my 1TB external harddrive.

Note: For any of this to work, Bittorrent must have opened the exact same .torrent files you used with Miro.

As for uploading one of your own files...I'll get back to you on that, but look for anything that allows to re-check where the file you're uploading is. (Like, manually search your harddrive in Bittorrent to find it, idk). I'd imagine there might be something in directories for personal uploads too.

ybbald

Re: Torrent Help
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 04:55:04 pm »

Ahhh. I haven't been saving the .torrent files, just having miro open them immediately. so I just end up with all the files at the end that were in the torrent.

edit:
http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/6339469/NaS_Feat._Will.I.Am._Hip_Hop_is_Dead_%28Uncensored_Single%29
I'm the only seeder online atm. Can you check if you can download it right now?

edit:
I did something and I think it knows where the file is now. When I tell it to open the containing folder it knows where it is. And I just downloaded it from myself with miro.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 05:11:05 pm by Enigma »