I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Gaiden 1.2 patch released. Click here to download!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Even Harder mode  (Read 6571 times)

Turbocharge

• View Profile
Even Harder mode
« on: May 07, 2011, 02:08:30 pm »

As part of my training to beat Impossible mode, I created something that I call Even Harder mode. In it, you are only allowed to use 11 of the game's saves. Be sure to do this challenge in Hard mode, as some of the saves are not in Very Hard mode. I have placed these in places I have deemed appropriate, and I will not be changing them. Attached is an image with the saves you can use circled in red (the map I found online didn't have the Castle of the Guy, so I went ahead and added the rooms with the saves to the image. Just telling you so you won't be curious as to why most of the Castle of the Guy is not included on the map.)

So, anyone want to take on this challenge?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 03:28:38 pm by Turbocharge »

Valkema

• Anonly Asia O_O
  • The Guy
  • What. I'm busy right now.
    • View Profile
Re: Even Harder mode
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 02:50:38 pm »

some of the saves you circled aren't in very hard mode  :P

Float

• Lightning isn't floating
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 02:51:37 pm »

Turbocharge

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 03:30:13 pm »

I screwed up when I said that :P. In Very Hard mode there weren't enough saves to choose from, sometimes forcing you to go rediculous distances and causing an unequality of difficulty between saves. I modified my original post with this. Sorry for the mistake.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 03:35:44 pm by Turbocharge »

Kinata

• What, we're supposed to play games for FUN?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 10:31:45 am »

http://kayin.pyoko.org/iwbtg/forums/index.php?topic=10034.0

Already done. You may want to check out this thread which has a bunch more extra difficulties.
Disclaimer:

This author is not responsible for any headaches, frustration, blindness, high blood pressure, or suicides resulting from this post.

Read at your own risk.

Turbocharge

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 09:21:41 pm »

Well, crap. It didn't occur to me that someone else might have had the same idea as me, so I didn't even think to check. >_>

liquidCorgster

• Signature Moderator
  • The Guy
  • hanged man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 05:28:56 pm »

Eh, I like the idea of these "fabricated" difficulties. Gives the game another degree of fair challenge - unlike something like Impossible.

ybbald

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 03:19:36 pm »

I think you really need to design it for yourself as everyone is bad or good at different parts of the game

Kinata

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 11:24:51 pm »

Well you obviously don't have to do a full run of this difficulty since it's a self-enforced challenge made for practice. But there really isn't much way to construct such a challenge but to get rid of every other save point.
Disclaimer:

This author is not responsible for any headaches, frustration, blindness, high blood pressure, or suicides resulting from this post.

Read at your own risk.

·Arturo·

• Eagles are turning people into horses
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 02:27:59 am »

If you're practicing to do impossible, just remember to leave out the save point just before the guy.  This is advice you'll thank me for someday.  Otherwise, Impossible run, you might shoot the fake save point.  And that would just be tragic.
I just imagined a huge security system with Art walking up to it. Suddenly there's a full body scan and the system simply says "Oldfaggotry confirmed." And a giant door opens and behind it is a gilded room full of gentlemanly discourse.

Steam ID: underthedome
Skype ID: arturo.timara

ybbald

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 09:53:06 am »

But that is the one save point you can use on impossible
Kill the evil save and you have one frame of a real save point that can be used

Turbocharge

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 02:16:35 pm »

Well you obviously don't have to do a full run of this difficulty since it's a self-enforced challenge made for practice. But there really isn't much way to construct such a challenge but to get rid of every other save point.
Getting rid of every other save point isn't very effective, since it makes the difficulty very uneven. I just use some of the saves in Hard and pick 11 of those so I have more selection.

Quote from: -arturo-
If you're practicing to do impossible, just remember to leave out the save point just before the guy.  This is advice you'll thank me for someday.  Otherwise, Impossible run, you might shoot the fake save point.  And that would just be tragic.
Don't worry. The closest save I used to the guy in this run was the one at the beginning of the tower of the guy. I won't make that mistake. And I'm not going to use the one frame save oppertunity, either. Why ruin your credibility when you're so close to the end?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 02:18:41 pm by Turbocharge »

Kinata

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 03:51:45 pm »

So you're actually going to attempt impossible? It's already been done by several people and is frankly a very boring challenge. After beating this game with only 1 save for the second time, I had so little enthusiasm that I couldn't continue trying. Far more interesting is to try playing ridiculously hard fangames on their lowest difficulty, where the challenge comes from actually difficult gameplay rather than a complete lack of save opportunities.

But if you're still interested in this, how close are you getting? Have you beaten you're own challenge yet? If so, just do it a few more times and then lower the save count down to 5 for further training.
Disclaimer:

Read at your own risk.

Turbocharge

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 03:56:25 pm »

So you're actually going to attempt impossible? It's already been done by several people and is frankly a very boring challenge. After beating this game with only 1 save for the second time, I had so little enthusiasm that I couldn't continue trying. Far more interesting is to try playing ridiculously hard fangames on their lowest difficulty, where the challenge comes from actually difficult gameplay rather than a complete lack of save opportunities.

But if you're still interested in this, how close are you getting? Have you beaten you're own challenge yet? If so, just do it a few more times and then lower the save count down to 5 for further training.
Just beat Even Harder mode yesterday.

Valkema

• Anonly Asia O_O
  • The Guy
  • What. I'm busy right now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 04:44:06 pm »

Just beat Even Harder mode yesterday.
Now go for impossible like the rest of us.
Pages: [1] 2