I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Gaiden 1.2 patch released. Click here to download!

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40

Author Topic: Mafia 18.3 - NIGHT 6 END - SOLAR ECLIPSE STORM / END OF THE WORLD FINALE END  (Read 52104 times)

Neo

• God of Music. Also, Mort was sexually assaulted by Bidoof.
  • HUZZAH
    • View Profile

I also think I messed up early-on bigtime by letting all the dead know eachother's curse words. That wasn't supposed to happen. But since I let it happen once I let it happen to all the rest.

As I'm tired and a bit drunk, this is the only point I'll be raising at the moment.

Generally, I'm okay with the random curse word idea as usually the words have to be so unusual that it's unlikely any of them will be said. The issue that came in this game was that they were so powerful to any side that triggered one in their favor (kill enemy/raise ally: +2 player differential!) and that there was a role dedicated to using them. Also, the resurrection of players didn't work to well with that: had the RNG not simply said "fuck shadows lol" we would have been able to kill SL and resurrect Sibare, which combined with all the Shadow players we had on the last day would have tipped the scales.

Actually, one more point:

I'm not really a fan of all the % chances that were used in this game. Broadly speaking anything that someone restricts to only having a chance to work is really powerful. There's no guarantee that the RNG won't simply... stick and break the game. For example, having the three soul-healer fragments with a 1/3 chance of working: there's a 1/3 chance that ALL the powers work and for that particular night the town gets the advantage of three doctors. There's also the same chance that on that night they get NO doctoring. You also recall that we pretty much spammed Clairvoyant and it was a matter of good fortune for the town that it failed every single time we tried. That kill + revive could have swung the game, and based solely on the peculiarities of the RNG.

I mean, it'll *probably* work out all right, but there's a non-neglible chance any given day of having a setup turn out awful for one side or the other. Putting so much to the RNG takes away from the players; I don't think it's a great mechanic.

Protip: Ask questions about your role. Neo can attest that I asked a fair bit of them, and from that I learned that the shadows had THREE CHANCES PER DAY of tripping the curse word. Note "day": your try during the night, which tipped off the town, didn't count, and excluding that invocation, "Clairvoyant" was said twice, leaving a 4/9 chance of it not working. Tl;dr: We fell on the wrong side of a ~50-50 shot that could have been mitigated.

And Neo, when do you plan on starting up another game?

In the year 2014. The plans are already made.

Probably not that long, but not for awhile. So time-consuming and I want to do other stuff. But I want other people to make awesome mafia games that I can play now.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 02:51:45 am by Neo »
So you gonna fight me with that thing?
Damn turrets. Damn Vinewalls. Damn Lasers.Damn Ceiling. Damn GUY

4/5/11 Never Forget.
Derf <3's Neo for making him a mod <3

I think we should just add to the rules that I'll be in every mafia by default.

Sibare

• IN SIBERIA
  • Sext banned
    • View Profile

I CAN'T WAIT THAT LONG

I NEED TO VOTE MARK AND MAKE HIM POST HIS PM NOW

Also, will it be .5 Y/Y

Neo

• HUZZAH
    • View Profile

I CAN'T WAIT THAT LONG

I NEED TO VOTE MARK AND MAKE HIM POST HIS PM NOW

Also, will it be .5 Y/Y

NO.

IT WILL BE

I don't actually have plans, just some ideas now. Like I said, this game was based on one role of the bigger one I thought of for a long time, and became a thread called "Boat". (Quality posts on every fucking page.)

IF I do more mafia games, the next one WON'T be that one.

(GO MAKE AN AYREON-THEMED ONE, GUYS)

Personally, I'm glad this one didn't get me blacklisted from making mafia games :P

« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 03:04:57 am by Neo »

4/5/11 Never Forget.

Kudo.

• The Guy
  • Shin Megami Tennis
    • View Profile

Oh shi- right. I need to explain everything then.

I was pretty lucky that a lot of the attention was towards Venser late-game. That 3-lynch opening could easily have turned the game around...as much as I'd like to give a full summary of my thoughts, you can probably predict what my reactions were to some of the events (i.e. Venser dying).

THE COLORS. You have no idea how pleased I was to become the Witch. Got me some colors, witches love colors. Plenty of them are references to how things work in Umineko, as follows:

: Come on, you can at least try to figure them out • show
Red is the truth (GM Neo's information is absolute, known innocent also reach this level, as well as myself)
Blue is for theories (or ideas for courses of action) although you could nerf the definition to follow others info which isn't quite red, but sounds nice anyway. The only time I let my guard down with it was with Ellipsis.
Purple is as good as red, but culprits can lie while using it...kihihihi... (it means, unsure if lying or truth)
Grey is untrustworthy stuff, notice it was placed for people we knew were guilty.
Variations of purple are what tilt to grey or blue, or red, etc.
Gold is to say magic did it fuck your shit and speak the future.

Seriously, I'll add commentary tomorrow. When I'm not on a dinky little iPod.

Ellipsis

• Ellipsis
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
    • If Not Equal Limited

I broke the colour system :P
Fun game though, I thought Neo wrote both the gameplay and the scenes very well. They were fun to read.
Oh also, in future you could try use http://www.random.org for your random numbers, you just choose from - to -. This way at least you can be sure that it's fair random if you're wondering. Although nothing too strange happened with random last game.
TO THE NEXT MAFIA GAME!?!

Venser

• Gloved Modulator
  • Godmin
  • The Guy
    • View Profile

If I didn't have to go to Alaska at the end of this month I'd probably do the next mafia game. Maaaaybe mid-August I'll start one up. I have a new idea that I think would interest a lot of you...

...IWBTF THEMED MAFIA

THAT'S RIGHT

THE ROLES ARE MEMBERS OF IWBTF

DAMN STRAIGHT
Ybbald: I read that as "deadly venser"
Ybbald: and I was like
Ybbald: "when is venser NOT deadly?"

Arkhanno: We'll have to out-source to the US. I know of a great doctor with lifeguard training that can do anything with a 90% success rate

Evan20k: Sherlock Holmes didn't have 5 arms and 6 penises and lifeguard training

Fred-eye-inc

This sounds very interesting; I can't wait to see the finished result!

Mort, the Lonely

• ¡Lamerator!
  • Least Powerful Moderator
    • View Profile

So, we could potentially see Mark as Lion, and Silentloner as me?

AWESOME!
“Oh my god if Mort came back I am so going to kill someone.”

ybbald

ಠ_ಠ

Neo

• HUZZAH
    • View Profile

That sounds like a lot of fun. Would it be something like serious regulars vs troll-type regulars?

And it will have scenes right?

RIGHT?

4/5/11 Never Forget.

Mort, the Lonely

• ¡Lamerator!
  • Least Powerful Moderator
    • View Profile

The game ends when Mao shows up and turns the town off.
“Oh my god if Mort came back I am so going to kill someone.”

Neo

• HUZZAH
    • View Profile

So if you're bla200000 then what power do you get?

Sibare obviously is the Rasputin with his many alts.

4/5/11 Never Forget.

liquidCorgster

• Signature Moderator
  • The Guy
  • hanged man
    • View Profile

Neo

• HUZZAH
    • View Profile

You are the Liquid.

From now until the day you die, nothing you say can ever be the truth. If it turns out to be the truth, I will change that game element so it is once again a lie. Enjoy your real-time reality warping power.

4/5/11 Never Forget.

liquidCorgster

• Signature Moderator
  • The Guy
  • hanged man
    • View Profile

Hahahah, hahah. Oh.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40