I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Chat button has been eaten. Click here to join in the idling fun!

Author Topic: S.978  (Read 4057 times)

Valkema

• Anonly Asia O_O
  • The Guy
  • What. I'm busy right now.
    • View Profile
S.978
« on: July 01, 2011, 12:23:08 am »

http://act.demandprogress.org/sign/ten_strikes/

here is a link to the bill

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=s112-978

So the government is wanting to make it so streaming movies and tv shows over the internet is illegal but it could also be used to prevent people from making stuff about games and other types of media. So like if you LP or watch LP's you would be either creating or watching something illegal. Even though games are protected partly by Fair Use I believe. But there is still other stuff that could be made illegal essentially by this.

Anyway what is your opinion about the matter at hand?

Ellipsis

• Ellipsis
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
    • If Not Equal Limited
Re: S.978
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 11:49:32 am »

I thought it had technically been illegal for a long time. So I'm surprised that it wasn't. Don't think it will change much if it passes and not sure it will pass.

arcticfox1985

• The Guy who is Like Brisulph
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 10:52:23 pm »

I think YouTube would lose quite a few partners and a substantial amount of traffic.
If I can't make Talkthroughs anymore, I'll simply make FAQs or try my hand at home-made strategy guides.
I heard the limit is 10 infractions or 2,500 Dollars damage in a 180-day period. So, people with upgraded YT accounts could just post 100hour videos once a month, right?
I'm doing Talkthroughs and LPs again:
http://www.youtube.com/thewolveswestab

Winners Don't Die!!!

Valkema

• Anonly Asia O_O
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 12:02:32 am »

after alot of research I learned that this will have no effect on gaming thanks to Fair Use. But also the bill is unconstitutional and its got a 2% support rate because everyone on the internet panicked. So it probably won't pass. Oh well.

Kayin

• Well.. They're more like giant cherries...
  • Administrator
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 05:05:12 pm »

It's a bad law. It's mixing civil law with criminal law far to closely. This stuff is illegal where it should be -- civil law. The law needs to show more explicit criminal intent to be worth giving jail sentences for. I don't think what the law's intent was is 'wrong' (which is more to stop illegal streaming sites that are making criminal business monies), but it's far too overreaching.

boshy

• I'm Thowmp, You're Thwimp
    • View Profile
Bill S. 978
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 04:34:13 am »

All this talk about this bill shutting down pretty much all videos about video games like IWBTG, music, and everything else made by you all and posted on YouTube or any other place is starting to make me worry. Now, an exception will be if you get written permission, if I'm not mistaken, from the owner of the video game, music, etc. to be able to make an LP (Let's Play) or anything on that video game, sing a song/music, etc. to be able to post it onto YouTube or anywhere else. We will pretty much be living in the Dark Ages when there was no Internet.
If you want to have yourself a look at the bill status for where it's at right now: http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s112-978

If you want to see what's written on the bill a.k.a. the text of the bill: http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=s112-97
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 08:16:57 pm by boshy »
I Wanna Be the Boshy is da best fangame out there! :D (so far...)

Snowman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 03:43:41 pm »

I think if it disallows streaming video games, the bill makes no sense and is stupid.

But the music, movie, TV, etc. People shouldn't be stealing that anyways so I really don't care about that portion, those people can go to jail all they want.

Valkema

• Anonly Asia O_O
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 04:04:55 pm »

I think if it disallows streaming video games, the bill makes no sense and is stupid.

But the music, movie, TV, etc. People shouldn't be stealing that anyways so I really don't care about that portion, those people can go to jail all they want.
It doesn't prevent video games from being streamed. Those rights are protected by fair use. When I made the topic I wasn't aware of this but now I am.

boshy

• I'm Thowmp, You're Thwimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 08:10:34 pm »

The bill is just worded wrong as said by a lot of YouTube commentators. Plus, why would you want to make this bill when it affects the first amendment? To me, if this bill was passed, the US would be like communist [insert communist country here]. Now, I'm not sure about you guys, but thats how I feel.
I Wanna Be the Boshy is da best fangame out there! :D (so far...)

Angrystu

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 11:55:54 pm »

To what extent are video games covered under Fair Use? I'm a fan of several Starcraft 2 commentators; are they allowed to use SC2 footage under the vague category of "review"?

I also think there'd be no particular interest in pursuing charges under this law for things like the above example of commentators. These people add a lot to the community; chasing them down and eliminating them strikes me as cutting off your own legs because they're burning arm calories.

LOLGAMMER

• aka lolgamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2016, 06:57:45 am »

FUCK