I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Chat button has been eaten. Click here to join in the idling fun!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Music Genre in Gaming - A Doomed Genre?  (Read 7546 times)

Sarah

• View Profile
Music Genre in Gaming - A Doomed Genre?
« on: May 28, 2008, 02:34:26 am »

Before I begin, I would like to say that I know the music genre in video games is extremely popular (Dance Dance Revolution and Guitar Hero come to mind). However, I don't see the series lasting much longer.

The problem is the style of gameplay. Each music game is the same thing - press the right button at the right time numerous times to get a good score. It doesn't matter if you're using a dance pad, a guitar, a pair of bongos, or a basic controller - it's still the right button at the right time.

I understand the games are popular for the music in the games as well and not just the gameplay. However, soon enough, the majority of people will just say "Why buy a game done a hundred times over for $50 when I can just buy a $20 CD of the song I want?"

I am in no way "bashing" or "picking on" the music genre here. I'm just going from an honest opinion. The games have not had much variation.

Comparing the Music Genre to an Adventure Genre like Mario, you'll see that Mario games have evolved. From a mushroom that makes you grow twice your size to a flower that can allow you to freeze water to skate on, there's been numerous changes that can entertain the player for years to come. On the other hand, the music genre has had little evolution. Changing the shape of the controller is not really evolution; it's like comparing an offical controller to a 3rd party one. It looks different and feels different, but it has the same results (unless the 3rd party producer sucks at its business).

So how much longer does the music genre have? Who knows. However, I don't see it sticking around for much longer than a few years and dropping out as an offical genre.
It's okay, we've all been literally retarded at some point in our lives.

ninjafetus

• View Profile
    • NES 50
Re: Music Genre in Gaming - A Doomed Genre?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 09:00:36 am »

You could use the same style argument to justify the end of shooters (new weapons and levels aren't really a new game), platformers, etc.  DDR and Beatmania started as games that were intentionally not easily playable at home, and they had a big part in keeping the arcade industry alive at the time.  They not only spawned the first modern version of the genre (ie, you play in real time, non imitate a la Parappa), but they gained a pretty big audience.  In current times, arcade versions of DDR are little more than advertising for their home versions, which are still very popular.  See the Konami/RoXor lawsuit, for example.

The recent popularity of GH and RB is when someone decided to be smart and realize that people generally like actual rock music more than in house j-pop, and the sales justify this.  However, the core 'rhythm game' audience is still there, and these games have expanded it, if anything.

No, I don't think the genre will die soon.  Most of us in that 'core audience' buy the game for the gameplay first, although good music definitely helps.  However, I wouldn't worry about new controllers constantly coming out; I can see that stopping soon.  I think the recent peripheral explosion is an effect of the popularity boom, not the cause.  In the past, new games in a series have used the same controllers, and just had new music and notecharts.  I don't think these will stop coming out any time soon.  There's still tons of rock music to put in GH/RB, and Konami will keep pumping out in house stuff as long as people keep buying the new iterations of the games (IIDX is at 14, now).

AndrewFM

• View Profile
    • Anamaguna Game Factory
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 07:08:28 pm »

It also depends what you mean by the "Music Genre" of games. It seems like you're reffering to just "Rythm Games", but, the music genre in gaming goes much further. Actually, I think it's an outlet that hasn't been explored a lot, and has quite a large potential for original, revolutionary, and pretty epic games.

What I'm talking about is games that take advantage of spectrum analyzers. Games that take the music, and store data about the amplitude, frequency, beat offset, etc. of the sound waves.

There's been a couple games like this, but it's hasn't really been explored that well. One that comes to mind is a game like this in the Xbox 360 Live Arcade. I don't have an XBox 360, don't know the name of the game, and only saw the game briefly at my friend's house, but for all of you that have an Xbox 360, you might know the game I'm talking about.

Random Generation is a great concept that can arize out of music analysys. Importing different styles of music can determine the difficulty of the level you face. Calmer songs provide an easy gameplay, while fast songs provide action packed gameplay to fit right with what's being played. High amplitude, and high bass can cause tougher enemies to spawn. Higher frequencies, or shorter intervals between beats will cause the spawn rate to get dramatically faster.

That's just one idea, and there's many more that could come out of that concept.

Rad

• The Guy
  • Radical Dood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 07:28:42 pm »

whoa whoa whoa....im totally a sucker for music/rhythm games(i even imported a jap ps2 and drummania/guitarfreaks, which by the way was way before GH and RB) and there is no way they're dying anytime soon.

plus go play REZ its a music game where you dont have to time it on a button press. go play patapon too.

ok, now its funny because i just got done playing like 2 hours of DDR.

OK NOW!
lets see....
i have
RB
all GH
Beatmania (ps2)
all the home DDRs for psx and ps2 + all 3 ultramixes
drummania+GuitarFreaks
Rez(ps2 and Dreamcast)
Elite Beat Agents
Ouendan 1 + 2
Stepmania
Rhythm Tengoku (gba)
Frequency
Amplitude
Gitaroo Man
DJ Max Portable
Patapon
Audiosurf
donkeykonga

i think thats it... im not sure.
to tell you the almost truth the only one i havent played in the past 2 months, was GH, and thats because i got totally sick of it. Not only was it the songs, but everyone plays GH, and everyone wanted me to show off my skill so i always did. got way boring.

I went back to GH yesterday actually and i did terrible. so i decided not to redeem myself.
went back to all the other rhythm games i have.

so, as you can see, yes people can get sick of games. and the genre will not die anytime soon because other people can stand replaying GH over and over will keep this genre going.(i used to but not anymore.)

seriously just about every other person has played GH.
you ask them about DDR they will call you gay.(wow thanks)

The genre will live, its lived for like 10 or 11 years already.

i dont find hitting a button to the beat of music with different controllers a disappointment. The more the better if you ask me.
i want Konami to keep them coming.

rhythm is amazing as it is, and making games around it is phenomenal, i personally dont know why anyone would think Rhythm is gonna die.

and changing the controller is evolution, just not rhythm evolution.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 10:37:42 pm by rad »
"I want Rad's dick."

Vnonymous

• WE'RE THE ROBOTS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 05:18:18 am »

I don't think that there is going to be much "doom" ahead for the music genre, if only because the Madden series exists(WHY DO PEOPLE BUY THE SAME GAME, OVER AND OVER AGAIN?)

Similarly, people for some inane reason just love buying the same piece of music in 300 different formats, so I don't think the music genre is in any danger of dying. While we can't see all too many innovations outside of controllers, it'd be silly to say that they cannot possibly exist.

Even though there are completely free versions of all the commercial rhythmn games, that hasn't stopped people from buying them. DDR is still a success despite the existence of Stepmania. I don't think people are going to stop buying them any time soon, and I don't think they'll stop being made any time soon.

People find these games entertaining, and even if they get relegated to open-source clones like stepmania, they'll still survive.

dsk

• Lawful Evil Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • The Guy
  • Like a phoenix
    • View Profile
    • Youtube videos!
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 05:50:35 am »

Music games do one thing most other games don't: ready to play fun. But all of them (yes, all) has the same problem, that Yahtzee noticed in SSBB. Everything starts out locked!

But if it's up to me, GH/RB will never die ;D

desktopdoodlz

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 09:36:30 pm »

Rythm genred games are mostly good for a short period of time when youre with a freind and have nothing better to do...
but i LOVE RB... and i mostly play audiosurf when im bored and alone... :)

Rad

• The Guy
  • Radical Dood
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 10:18:32 pm »

i hate it how if i mention Drummania, people ask if i mean rockband.
i feel like hitting people.
"I want Rad's dick."

ninjafetus

• View Profile
    • NES 50
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 03:16:32 pm »

i hate it how if i mention Drummania, people ask if i mean rockband.
i feel like hitting people.

Don't blame them if they don't know about a primarily Japanese game (with a limited american, arcade only (I think) release), but they do know about the super-popular game.  Maybe Konami should have gotten some good music, and someone else wouldn't have had to fill their void :p  (no offense to Thomas Howard, of course!)

Rad

• The Guy
  • Radical Dood
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 05:21:16 pm »

well, its not like Konami's Music is bad... i just think they need to work on 1st party hardware.
"I want Rad's dick."

dsk

• Lawful Evil Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • The Guy
  • Like a phoenix
    • View Profile
    • Youtube videos!
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 06:07:01 pm »

ninjafetus

• View Profile
    • NES 50
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2008, 07:50:41 pm »

well, its not like Konami's Music is bad... i just think they need to work on 1st party hardware.

I actually do like Bemani music.  I've played more hours of DDR, IIDX, Pop'n (on my old Konami ASC), etc. than I'd probably be proud of admitting.  However, if I was going to try and SELL a game in the US, I can see the merit of actual rock music over in house.  The proof is in the sales.

What 1st party hardware are you referring to, by the way?  The arcade stuff is usually top notch, and the quality for the home stuff is generally as good as their target market needs.

Rad

• The Guy
  • Radical Dood
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2008, 11:51:21 pm »

crappy DDR softmats,
crappy Drummania drums/pedal
the beatmania stuff is good.
shitty guitar freaks stuff

i thinkone more.
"I want Rad's dick."

Mars

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2008, 01:25:44 pm »

Well think about some things here. AudioSuf, for instance, was COMPLETELY new. There can be variations of the music genre. I think an IWBTG version would be  :kid:  shoots notes as he runs through a stage. the first note you miss and either a spike or fruit (or even both!) could fall on you and kill you.

ninjafetus

• View Profile
    • NES 50
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 09:32:21 am »

crappy DDR softmats,
crappy Drummania drums/pedal
the beatmania stuff is good.
shitty guitar freaks stuff

i thinkone more.

Yeah, a lot of the "home versions" of controllers are not for the bemani hardcore.  A soft mat is an affront to reason in my household, but the average home DDR player isn't worried about lowering his SDG count on 10 footers.  The average home buyer would rather have the lower cost associated with the lower quality, even though the equipment is insufficient for harder stuff.  That's what I meant.
Pages: [1] 2