I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Chat button has been eaten. Click here to join in the idling fun!

Author Topic: I could use some advice.  (Read 2516 times)

liquidCorgster

• Signature Moderator
  • The Guy
  • hanged man
    • View Profile
I could use some advice.
« on: August 20, 2011, 11:58:07 am »

Alright, so here's the deal. I know several of you are about to go into college or have been through the system before. I am about to go into my senior year of high school, and I really haven't made any preparations. I've looked at some scholarship and college websites, but I haven't really come to any conclusions; the whole ''getting into and paying for college''  process seems hopelessly vague to me. So I ask this of you college application veterans: where should I start? What should I look for and get accomplished, and when? I appreciate it, guys.

ybbald

Re: I could use some advice.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 11:59:16 am »

well you should have started 2 years ago

Squishy69

• Amicitia est magicae
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 12:31:02 pm »

If you just want to do the basic college experience then I recommend an in-state college as those are considerably cheaper than out of state.  As for paying for that college you really need to look up those scholarships or loans, and to save yourself time and money figure out what major you want and stick with that.  Just think over what you like, how that can be used in a future career and take the necessary degree courses.  Ultimately though it's up to you to figure out the route you'll be taking through college.

Party Hard

Evan20000

• Nuke 'em
  • Administrator
  • The Guy
  • Forum Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 12:46:08 pm »

Don't take a loan unless you absolutely have to. It's better to spend a few years saving money than to be in considerable debt for a good percentage of your life.

Your videos could just be you in a Nazi outfit, shitting into a bucket while doing the can-can and they'd already be miles ahead of Pewdiepie.

ybbald

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 01:09:35 pm »

what kind of college are you looking at? Liberal arts? technical? community?
big or small?
local or not?

Kudo.

• The Guy
  • Shin Megami Tennis
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 01:18:40 pm »

Don't forget dat FAFSA.

Although that's actually a bit later.

Venser

• Gloved Modulator
  • Godmin
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 01:20:59 pm »

fastweb.com is pretty useful for finding scholarships to apply to.

Often your school will keep a collection of scholarship applications on its own website.

Other than that, your school should provide the necessary resources to find the college you're looking for. As Evan said, loans are to be avoided if possible unless you're planning on something like medical school or something of that nature where a loan is basically necessary.
Ybbald: I read that as "deadly venser"
Ybbald: and I was like
Ybbald: "when is venser NOT deadly?"

Arkhanno: We'll have to out-source to the US. I know of a great doctor with lifeguard training that can do anything with a 90% success rate

Evan20k: Sherlock Holmes didn't have 5 arms and 6 penises and lifeguard training

liquidCorgster

• Signature Moderator
  • The Guy
  • hanged man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 01:28:54 pm »

what kind of college are you looking at? Liberal arts? technical? community?
big or small?
local or not?

I want to go into a writing program of some sort (language, journalism, etc.) so probably liberal arts. I'm currently trying to find the most local colleges I possibly can, because #1, they're cheaper, and #2, transit would be a lot easier.

I've looked at FastWeb a bit in the past, Venser, and the site looks really nice, has a great layout and is easy to access. Other than that, I've talked to my counselors a little bit, and they haven't helped a HUGE deal. What they DID tell me was that there would be a lot of scholarship opportunities for students later this year - opportunities I plan on taking advantage of.

Alpha

• Prophet of Doom
  • The world is a vampire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 02:00:47 pm »

Apply for EVERY scholarship you qualify for, do the FAFSA, and apply for an in-state college if possible. If your scholarships cover an out-of-state, then by all means, apply for it.

Neko Desu

• The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 03:18:32 pm »

What's your SAT score?

Neo

• God of Music. Also, Mort was sexually assaulted by Bidoof.
  • HUZZAH
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 03:49:31 pm »

When you find a college you want, look at what they want/teach. If they require general courses like history/ math/ science/ etc, take those courses at a community college to save money on those courses, then transfer over to the college you want, and take only the courses that have to do with your major.
Also, remember some colleges are just way more expensive because of the title and prestige, not because of the actual things you'll learn differently or better than another, not so expensive college.
And there's specialized degrees in Writing/English/Literature/Journalism. It doesn't mean LA. If you want LA then you can get a perfectly good one at any good community college.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 03:51:23 pm by Neo »
So you gonna fight me with that thing?
Damn turrets. Damn Vinewalls. Damn Lasers.Damn Ceiling. Damn GUY

4/5/11 Never Forget.
Derf <3's Neo for making him a mod <3

I think we should just add to the rules that I'll be in every mafia by default.

liquidCorgster

• Signature Moderator
  • The Guy
  • hanged man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 03:58:57 pm »

What's your SAT score?

I haven't taken it, since I don't plan on going to any colleges that require me to take the SAT.

I've gotten a 31 on my ACT, though, if that means anything to you. I plan on raising it to a 32 if at all possible.