I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Gaiden 1.2 patch released. Click here to download!

Author Topic: Rise of Nations  (Read 1838 times)

Venser

• Gloved Modulator
  • Godmin
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
Rise of Nations
« on: August 21, 2011, 04:08:38 pm »

I recently recalled an RTS I used to play while playing SC2 and had an urge to play it. Rise of Nations is one of my favorite games of all time, and I used to spend hours and hours playing against the computer and against real people online. It was one of (if not the first) RTS to use the 'territory' mechanic, and it really implemented it well, or at least I thought so.

Has anyone else here played it? If so, we might be able to play a game sometime.
Ybbald: I read that as "deadly venser"
Ybbald: and I was like
Ybbald: "when is venser NOT deadly?"

Arkhanno: We'll have to out-source to the US. I know of a great doctor with lifeguard training that can do anything with a 90% success rate

Evan20k: Sherlock Holmes didn't have 5 arms and 6 penises and lifeguard training

DraconicDescendant

• The Guy
  • Sexy-ass smoke ganks
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of Nations
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 11:16:26 pm »

(You're still playing Soul Caliber 2? What the hell?)

But seriously, I vaguely recall playing something like you're describing.

Venser

• Gloved Modulator
  • Godmin
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 11:17:35 pm »

I reinstalled it earlier and played some. It was way more complex than I remembered it being. Definitely a lot harder to keep track of than most other RTSes.

Arkhanno: We'll have to out-source to the US. I know of a great doctor with lifeguard training that can do anything with a 90% success rate

Evan20k: Sherlock Holmes didn't have 5 arms and 6 penises and lifeguard training

Valkema

• Anonly Asia O_O
  • The Guy
  • What. I'm busy right now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 11:35:06 pm »

I do love a good RTS, I'll check this out later if I get the chance.

Venser

• Gloved Modulator
  • Godmin
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 11:51:38 pm »

The graphics are also shit compared to more modern games, but the depth of strategy you can use in this game is very interesting. Some of the mechanics are lacking in ease compared to more modern RTSes (lack of control groups, for instance), but otherwise it is a very solid game. Probably really cheap nowadays, too.

Valkema

• Anonly Asia O_O
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 12:14:50 am »

The graphics are also shit compared to more modern games, but the depth of strategy you can use in this game is very interesting. Some of the mechanics are lacking in ease compared to more modern RTSes (lack of control groups, for instance), but otherwise it is a very solid game. Probably really cheap nowadays, too.

Would you recommend I get gold addition or just the regular? Also do you know if it will run well on Windows 7 64bit?

Venser

• Gloved Modulator
  • Godmin
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 06:55:59 pm »

My Windows 7 64bit seems to run it acceptably well, but there's some graphics issue where it can't do widescreen on my screen for reason. I think that's likely more a graphics card issue, though.

Personally, I have the Gold version, but it's only a few extra nations and a couple extra campaign things I think. I love some of the new nations, but it's up to you. I like it, but if it's more than like $5 more it's probably not worth it, not unless you really like RTSes with poor graphics (compared to modern-day RTSes).

Valkema

• Anonly Asia O_O
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 09:37:14 pm »

Well I found one for $10. (Technically it was 5 but shipping is a bitch.)

3-7 day shipping. Report back later.

Also I don't really give a shit about graphics. If I can look at it without my eyes hurting, well then that is good enough for me.