I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Chat button has been eaten. Click here to join in the idling fun!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Thread of the Fortress of The Guy  (Read 9230 times)

Xylon Lionheart

• Maieusiophilia!
    • View Profile
The Thread of the Fortress of The Guy
« on: December 12, 2007, 12:47:18 am »

So everybody has been talking about how the final boss is as hard as hell, but nobody is talking about the rest of the new stuff.  This thread is dedicated to everything new that has been released with the beta, including the ride to and the entire Fortress of The Guy.

First of all, I love the labyrinth.  It takes skill just to get to a place where you'll die. The whole setup for it rocks.

Also, didn't fall for the trap in Ryu Hayabusa's room, because my computer runs on Vista and a different error shows up when the game fails.  It was still a great trap, though.

A Wheaten Buying

• View Profile
Re: The Thread of the Fortress of The Guy
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 08:46:32 am »

I liked the last area very much. The Hall of Former The Guys has my vote because It was full of nice nostalgic surprises and some very inventive rooms.

Xylon Lionheart

• Maieusiophilia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 11:10:52 am »

The Arkanoid/Breakout-esque room was almost too simple, since you just need to break the left side of the blocks only.

Kyper

• Forum lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 11:31:14 am »

The Vic Viper part was very amusing. There's the music change, the big hitbox and even the waves of enemies that come out in a line! Now all you need is options and that announcer dude saying "Speed up!" and "Destroy the Core!"

I was easily taken down by the Ryu trap. I remember questioning myself if I had set the new build's compatibility mode to 98/ME to reduce the number of crashes. I then proceeded to wonder if that screen was a commonality when Kayin was working on it...

The Ride to the Guy is a pretty cool segment, but it feels like that fish area isn't working as designed. Not only can you shoot down the fish, but you can also just jump a long distance forward due to the 'acceleration' given by the tram and ignore the yellow jump thingys altogether. Hell, the acceleration even stays with you for a while. I just jump and then walk forward until the tram catches up with me. Loved the encouraging slogans though, and the hybrid boss at the end was a great touch!

Bezerker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 03:05:17 pm »

The screen with the falling error message...that was beautiful. I didn't see that comming for miles.

(Except for the factt that my XP has the silver theme...so if I looked really carefully I would have seen it)

Still best damn thing EVAR

Kyu!

• uh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 06:37:41 pm »

I like the very first part, on the tram.  It took a few tries to get everything exactly right, but it was fast-paced and delicious.

A Wheaten Buying

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 07:40:36 pm »

I am at the bit where it is all on fire. I can get one eye but the other eludes me. I'm retiring for today and trying again tomorrow...

I am not the Guy yet...

Xylon Lionheart

• Maieusiophilia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 09:28:21 pm »

I am at the bit where it is all on fire. I can get one eye but the other eludes me. I'm retiring for today and trying again tomorrow...

I am not the Guy yet...

Are you talking about The Guy?  Yeah, this thread is supposed to be about everything new that ISN'T The Guy.

Oh, and you need to make it over to the opposite side to get the eye.  You can't shoot it from the same pedestal.

Kilgamayan

• 8D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 11:57:23 pm »

The Ryu Hayabusa room has officially replaced the wine glass toss as the biggest asshole move of the game. That was simply uncalled for. :(

Also, not having seen The Guy yet, I am afraid for my life if he was really able to turn the likes of Hayabusa and Mike Haggar into "Former The Guy"s.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 12:00:02 am by Kilgamayan »

Kenzya

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 06:15:41 am »

The "Evil" savepoint was a favorite of mine. I actually tried to beat The Guy without that save point. Having to ride the floor up the tower everytime I died.. After a dozen or so tries I just started shooting at the evil savepoint and whoops what do you know.

finale

• Mind over matter. Personified.
    • View Profile
    • my work number
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 06:58:21 am »

The hall of former Guys was a huge tease. Now I wanna fight all of them.

Moogy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 02:04:22 pm »

Ryu room is definitely the best part of the game.

A Wheaten Buying

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2007, 07:50:11 am »

Yeah I was going up the tower every time for a while... and I didn't know how to skip cutscenes.

I had some patience.

Xylon Lionheart

• Maieusiophilia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2007, 06:02:52 pm »

Yeah I was going up the tower every time for a while... and I didn't know how to skip cutscenes.

I had some patience.

Wow.  That must have really sucked for you, then.

A Wheaten Buying

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2007, 06:20:28 am »

It was horrendous! Although I it does mean that I have a perfect grasp of climbing ascending towers and a word for word memory of the dialogue for the last fight.
Pages: [1] 2