I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Chat button has been eaten. Click here to join in the idling fun!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: I Wanna Be Myself - Version 0.7 [10.03.2013]  (Read 111026 times)

SirRouven

• I like Touhou.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
I Wanna Be Myself - Version 0.7 [10.03.2013]
« on: August 29, 2011, 05:24:30 pm »

Current Version 0.7:
I Wanna Be Myself

Download:http://www.mediafire.com/?tvijs9abvmeicep

Changes in version 0.7:
- Chapter 6 and 7 added
- 4 new bosses
- after you beat the second half of chapter 6 you can visit old places of the game (fly around)
- more coins
- after beating chapter 6 you can try some challenges in the challenge hall
- after chapter 5 you can buy items now
- some bosses and rooms are easier
- a new intro
- a lot bug fixes
- redesigned sound system
- game works on windows 8 now

At the moment it contains:

- a tutorial
- 7 chapters
- new abillities for each character
- 6 mini bosses
- 7 main bosses
- 4 difficulties (no impossible mode, because that difficulty is senseless in my opinion)
- the fourth difficulty is called the bosses will be pain (TBWBP) in which the bosses are way harder
- a story (which is still in processing)
- an intro
- 3 save files
- changable controls
- changable characters with different abillities to make the gameplay more interesting
- pause menu to see your achievements, some infos and to change the controls
- minigames
- shops
- a world map

I beg for feedback and wish you much fun by playing my game. Also it would be nice to read suggestions.

Screenshots:
:   • show

« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 11:38:30 am by SirRouven »

YoSniper

• Code blooded. Check it and see.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
Re: I Wanna Be Myself (Version 0.1)
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 06:34:17 pm »

So I downloaded the game. I haven't gone very far just yet, but to be honest, I'm impressed.

With a title like "I Wanna Be Myself," I really wasn't expecting a decent game. (Really, you should consider changing the name to something cooler. Games like I Wanna Be The Man and I Wanna Be Whatever have bad titles and you don't want to be following that path.)

There's actually a story, and the menu and title screens are rather impressive. It looks to me like the majority of the sprites are original. I also like the oxygen meter in the water.

Of course, the game is not without its flaws. I've only gotten up to the second boss, but I think I've hit a glitch. In the part where the shark homes in on you, I did this:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I was also kind of bothered by the "Engrish." Much of the grammar was improper, but you can get someone to help you with that.

As for the bosses, the first one I encountered was, to be frank, a joke. His attacks were so infrequent that it was hard not to dodge them. Maybe it was because I was playing on easy?

Overall, I like it so far, and I think you have a good thing going. Just seems to need some debugging and some added challenge.
I don't traverse the forums as much anymore. Follow me on Twitter if you want to keep tabs on me!

Twitter: @YoSniperGames
Twitch: yosniper

Streams happen whenever I feel like it.

Benxamix2

• INACTIVE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 06:48:54 pm »

I played it. The first thing I noticed:

What the hell, my character is a "R"? Okay...
Nice, you changed the difficults. And there is one called "too easy to play", OMG xD
I started on Easy.
The character started somewhere, in a black part with a text. Not bad =D
And so on, it took me to somewhere else, with mario music.
I continued
What the hell, GAME MAKER ENGINE BRICKS?

And so on, I will gonna check it later, but it gives me the impression you only tried to make the things to work, without worrying about graphics or something else.

Darkwraith Axl

• Returning with newfound humanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 09:14:13 pm »

Ragequit because of a bug.
I died 3 times in a row against that Black Starmie because of something invisible (After the laser attack).
But so far I like it. Hope you finish this one.

EDIT
Never fucking mind.... it was the oxygen...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 09:30:32 pm by axlbrujo »
> This community: Elitists pieces of shit.
> That community: Retards without a lick of taste.
Pick your poison.

Valkema

• Anonly Asia O_O
  • The Guy
  • What. I'm busy right now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 10:56:23 pm »

My reaction to the responses of this thread.

I haven't played the game or even touched it for that matter, but I can honestly say people here are the absolute worst at helping the creator in any way, shape or form to make something good.

YoSniper

• View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 11:10:42 pm »

My reaction to the responses of this thread.

I haven't played the game or even touched it for that matter, but I can honestly say people here are the absolute worst at helping the creator in any way, shape or form to make something good.

I'm sorry man, but I have to say that this is the pot calling the kettle black.
You can call things garbage all you want, but I've never seen you give advice on how to improve something other than "start over."
I don't traverse the forums as much anymore. Follow me on Twitter if you want to keep tabs on me!

Valkema

• Anonly Asia O_O
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 11:24:30 pm »

Let's look at what you said shall we.

Change the name
He has a story
Bug with a boss
Fix grammar
Boss was a joke

Let's see here, the bug was useful, the boss was useful. Fix grammar should have been mixed with point 2 and it would have been useful. But is this honestly going to make the game better in anyway?

He has a story. Ok now what? Was the story good or bad?

He should change the name of the game? Well does this really affect the game?

Although I said the boss was useful you still made an excuse for it being easy. You don't need to make an excuse. If there is something wrong tell them.

Ok no more suggestions? How were the levels designed? How was his selection of music? How well placed were the traps? How well placed were the saves?

Your comment is pretty much worthless to the development of this game other than the bug report. Maybe he will consider the name change and the grammar would eventually be fixed but that is about it along the lines of you helping him. Also for the record I don't always say games have to be completely redone. If you actually do read my criticizem then you would have known that.

YoSniper

• View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 12:09:25 am »

I recommended he change the name because a cool name will make someone actually want to play the game. Think about it. If you just happened upon a game called "I Wanna Be Myself," would the title make you want to play it? Especially considering you are yourself already, why bother facing any gauntlets? The name dissuades people from playing a game that is actually promising.

True that I didn't say the story was good or bad. It could use some re-working, but at least there's more there than just a still title screen. I was so taken aback by the fact that the game had gone beyond my expectations at the very start to really say anything about the details of the story. At the very least, it's a skeleton for an impressive introduction.

The bug did not involve the boss. There is a part where you press a button, you get trapped, and a shark homes in on you and destroys blocks. By hugging the right wall and jumping rapidly, I forced myself into the wall and managed to bypass the entire room, essentially. This is something the creator should know so he can fix it in the next version.

Despite the impressive colors, the actual wording of the story and dialog was very much broken English. I can understand this if the author did not learn English as his first language, but the wording is bothersome to me and I feel that he should have someone help him rewrite the text.

The boss I fought was way too easy, as his attacks were too infrequent and he didn't move.

So I'm throwing in a mix of good and bad reviews of the game for as much of it as I have played. The positives and negatives are each their own section (with the exception of the story, maybe,) so as not to cause too much confusion.

Anyway, there is the comment once again with added context. Hopefully it's not useless anymore.

Valkema

• Anonly Asia O_O
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 12:25:00 am »

Ok no more suggestions? How were the levels designed? How was his selection of music? How well placed were the traps? How well placed were the saves?

SirRouven

• I like Touhou.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 08:13:01 am »

First of all, yes i am german and that is the reason why my english isn´t very well. You can also say my english is very bad but that is not the point. I have some friends who will check the dialogues and then I will rewrite them.
I discovered the bug which let you go into walls yesterday after uploading it, and I know how to fix it. Will be done later.

The first boss is not really a boss, let me call it a learn how to shoot room. But I think I should remove him or edit him.

What the hell, my character is a "R"? Okay...

What the hell, GAME MAKER ENGINE BRICKS?

And so on, I will gonna check it later, but it gives me the impression you only tried to make the things to work, without worrying about graphics or something else.
I used the game maker engine bricks because I liked them, is something wrong with that? If it is really such a bad thing to use good looking blocks I will change the sprite.
The charakter is a "R" because... don´t know. It is like it is. I will not change that fact but the next charakters will be normal charakters if you want to call it normal.

I don´t see what is wrong with the title, but ok, a better name is incoming. I just have to think about it for some time.

So far thank you for playing it and telling me the problems and bugs and etc.

One last thing: Maybe I should mention that I want to create an easy fangame for noobs like me.

Storyyeller

• The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 08:36:48 am »

How about I Wanna Be The Master?

Benxamix2

• INACTIVE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 09:16:01 am »

I used the game maker engine bricks because I liked them, is something wrong with that? If it is really such a bad thing to use good looking blocks I will change the sprite.
The charakter is a "R" because... don´t know. It is like it is. I will not change that fact but the next charakters will be normal charakters if you want to call it normal.
One last thing: Maybe I should mention that I want to create an easy fangame for noobs like me.

Oh, it's ok then. I just don't like that design, you could get differents and cooler bricks from The Spriters Resource.

And, yes, you should mention that; it's very important, because you're making a fangame of a HARD game.

Anyway, your game is good, but try to just improve some few things.

I don´t see what is wrong with the title
I recommended he change the name because a cool name will make someone actually want to play the game. Think about it. If you just happened upon a game called "I Wanna Be Myself," would the title make you want to play it? Especially considering you are yourself already, why bother facing any gauntlets? The name dissuades people from playing a game that is actually promising.

Suggestions for names:

I Wanna Master Myself (combination of "I Wanna Be Myself" and "I Wanna be The Master" xD)
I Wanna Save my Friends (as the story said)

Fred-eye-inc

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 11:22:24 am »

You could always try a name without the prefix "I wanna be the".

Might add a new spin on things.

Storyyeller

• The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 11:22:28 am »

I Wanna Master Myself just sounds wrong.

^That too. It's a tired cliche by this point, and making your game name shorter saves typing anyway.

Fred-eye-inc

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 11:27:05 am »

I Wanna Master Myself just sounds wrong.
My exact thoughts. Although I thought if I brought it up people would think I'm dirty minded xD
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16