I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Chat button has been eaten. Click here to join in the idling fun!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Praise for the most frustrating game in the world  (Read 9166 times)

Bittersoul

• View Profile
Re: Praise for the most frustrating game in the world
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2007, 06:41:34 pm »

Something someone said in an LP of a hard-type puzzle-centric SMW hack is making me think, though.
Certain games get less like something you play and become more like memorization, repitition, and practice... While that kind of thing is challenging, and certainly part of IWBTG... It's not really playing a game, it's more like work. =/ While I can enjoy myself with certain parts of IWBTG, there were others (like the air-manuvering you had to do to get to Mother Brain) that were just pure frustration for me. x.x I didn't succeed by practice, it was almost all luck. =/

Seconded.  Though in all fairness I don't see IWBTG as a 'game' in all the normal senses.  I think the entire point is to overcome the absolutely ferocious odds, to have luck on your side, and to do things over, and over, and over again merely to say you did them.  I don't recall who said it, but someone involved with the project said, "The only way the game beats you is if you give up."  That's what IWBTG is for me.  A quirky yet entertaining test of my skill and patience.  There were times I was absolutely furious at the game as I played it.  But now that I've proven to myself I can do it, it's nothing but rewarding.

So I can forgive IWBTG for the bits where merely luck got me through.  At least SOMETHING got me through.
Pages: 1 [2]