I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Chat button has been eaten. Click here to join in the idling fun!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: I love Game Design  (Read 18380 times)

Kayin

• Well.. They're more like giant cherries...
  • Administrator
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
Re: I love Game Design
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2007, 10:07:02 pm »

Yeah it's a bit old. I agree witht he need for a frame. The bounce was intentional but more than I wanted. It was.. one pixal. i'll probably use a bigger size when I make a game with it so I'll detail it a bit more and make the bounce more subtle.

Best way to learn spriting is to look at how other people make things and emulate it. This came after looking at Castlevania sprites.

finale

• Mind over matter. Personified.
    • View Profile
    • my work number
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2007, 12:43:18 am »

Eugh, jiggling breasts aside, that is pretty darn impressive.

GC

• Nintendo Hard supporter
    • View Profile
    • GC's deviantART account.
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2007, 10:24:34 am »

I'm a minimalist when it comes to artwork. I go by the theory that all the fancy eye-candy doesn't mean a damn thing if your game sucks. 

However, if I feel that something is awesome enough that it warrants a smoother animation, I'll do it.

Yes, this is my lame attempt at using "soft" outlines instead of all-black outlines.  For some reason I prefer the non-black outlines.

As for the coding, I want to have a programming language that's within the scope of my ability and provides optimal performance (ie. minimal slowdown) for the compiled program.  If that means having to go through 6 years of coding hell then so it shall be.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 02:47:26 pm by GC »

flagg-

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2007, 06:13:41 pm »

euhhh

I have zero game design skills but I do have the know-how to make games. Its kind of backwards and has resulted in my starting innumerable projects and finishing very few :(

A megaman short, ~really old~
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/35711

Flash cavestory tribute I made for a friend working on a Cavestory comic.
http://www.f-ram.net/cavestory/e/

Makaris

• Worst Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Rock and ROLL. Get it? You will. Oh yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2007, 06:50:49 pm »

I have great game design skills that I have been honing since I was nine.

Talking pen and paper here though.  Table top.  Fuck your computras
:kid:This Signature is worth two The Guys :kid:

A Wheaten Buying

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2007, 08:14:48 am »

I made an awful game on Game Maker... and a slightly better one. That's it.

Robert the small

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2007, 03:10:04 am »

I'm working on a character in the Mugen Fighting game Engine (before you go OMG ITS UNBALANCED, only certain characters are), but beyond that, I only have ideas for games.

And I can't code anything but MUGEN script....  Nor sprite.

Kayin

• Administrator
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2007, 02:55:11 pm »

Mugen is unbalanced for the sheer fact that it's not designed with any over all balance standard, nor in respect to all other characters.

But its fun. :O

finale

• View Profile
    • my work number
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2007, 10:16:37 pm »

My favorite MUGEN char is Psycho Shredder. The guy/guys who make that may not care about fairness, but it's clear that they really know what they're doing.

Robert the small

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2007, 02:34:11 am »

My favorite MUGEN char is Psycho Shredder. The guy/guys who make that may not care about fairness, but it's clear that they really know what they're doing.
Well, he kinda doesn't but...   Its more of a "Coding test" the guy put out, to make it so that you can beat him while making your own code.   Of course, the guy puts up stupid riddles and stuff...

Also, Kayin, Full games counter that fact.  While most full games suck, a few WIP full games, like Darkstalkers Year of Hell, and CvS: Collision Course, are looking very nice.

finale

• View Profile
    • my work number
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2007, 08:58:06 pm »

Yeah, the riddles are dumb egotism, but the different thinge he's come up with are all interesting, not just upping stats and ignoring damage.

Deadearth

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2007, 01:58:28 am »

Game design is something that always escapes me I think.

I can come up with an idea for a game and start working on it, but when it comes to those really COOL things that make a game fun, I always fall short.

Recently, I've taken Kayins advice he gave me on starting on a simpler platformer game, something along the lines of Donkey Kong Country.

If anyone ever played the game "Jumpman", thats the type of game I'm going to be making. A simple "Collect all the Thingers to get to the next stage" game.

We'll see how far I get this time.

Kayin

• Administrator
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2007, 02:18:17 am »

Donkey Kong Country is a great example on how less is more. Part of the reason I'm worried about Project Etta is I'm working with a lot. so I have to make sure it all fits together well.

On the plus side, metroidvanias are a proven formula.

LaBlueSKuld

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2007, 09:03:29 pm »

I've always thought about a ton of games I'd love to someday be able to create, but my inability to manage learning a code cripples my progress. :(

I'd love to design a Metroidvania game with Skuld from AMG... Leave me alone, she's been my favorite fictional character for about ten years, now. Anyhoo, I'd love to have lots of incredibly challenging rooms with the "HAHA" traps that IWBTG presents and offers, but allow a few different ways of working around it. Sorta like a Rubik's Cube, where the end goal is shared, but many methods and paths to reaching it, where each method and path requires a different method and path to continue down that method and path.

ThingFish

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2008, 06:30:26 pm »

I'm considering learning DarkBasic or DarkGDK (free) to do up some 2D games.  Mainly because I'm sick of sci-fi gothic industrial complex shooters and after playing IWBTG and Bunny Must Die, it seems people still love scrollers.
Pages: 1 [2] 3