I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Gaiden 1.2 patch released. Click here to download!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Rain Hell  (Read 20123 times)

Dagnarok

• Neutral Good Moderator
  • Administrator
  • The Guy
  • Commander of the USP Talon
    • View Profile
Re: Rain Hell
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 10:07:47 pm »

Love the new patterns.  Too bad is runs HORRIBLY SLOW now!!  The 1st one runs fine though. :-\
Quote from: Tilyami
Shuu is like the monkey's paw if the monkey's paw was a partridge.

Yart

• Meow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2008, 10:26:41 pm »

Yeah. Lag doesn't count. Otherwise you'd end up like I did once I had it:

It's pretty much confirmed as cheating. At that point I actually gave up and purposely hit a bullet.

Just a question for everyone: During gameplay, do you see the timer in the background, or is it too dark or not there on your screens? I noticed that it wasn't present on another computer I tried it on, and I also noticed that the computer I coded the game on has a brighter than normal monitor. If you guys can't see it, you're missing out on a neatish feature that I'll get right on to fix right away by brightening it up a bit.

I'm glad Cat likes it. :)

:EDIT:It might not need this but it might make the game sound better. The name of the game should be "Raining Hell" lol
Eh. I like small names. Short and sweet. The game was originally going to be coded for DOS (where the filenames and directories only accept 8 letters) but I just wanted to dodge stuff now so I coded it in Game Maker, keeping the same name. I do like the ring "Raining Hell" has though. I'll consider it.

I would so love to have the game recoded in C++ though. I find even on a fast computer it can run pretty slow, which is pretty pathetic. Talk about crappy bloat. Guess Game Maker just ain't the tool to use for a bullet-hell.

ANYWAYS! Useful information!
Strategy Guide for Pattern 1!!
...and maybe a bit of Pattern 2...

For Pattern 1, ignore the slow shots! Try your hardest to focus your eyes on the fast ones. You'll know which ones I'm talking about when you stare in the center of the screen, or if you have a big screen, 1/3rds up the screen. The fast ones will leave a blurry trail and look like an entity of their own on another plain or dimension. The slow shots will rarely kill you if you do this (providing you keep track of where you are on the screen at the corner of your eye) and you'll see openings between the fast shots.

You'll notice a lot of gaps. Gun for them! NEVER fit through or around clumps of bullets that look like this:

(Diagram is of faster bullets. Don't worry too much about slower ones being like these)
Look for areas with a lot of space for error!

Avoid small clumps of bullets like the plague!

It may not look intimidating, but they are the most deadly obstacle you can encounter which result in the most losses!

Finally...
Hold Shift!!
I can't stress this enough! You will dodge a LOT better if you move slower! Let go if you absolutely NEED to go around a situation stated above! You run into bullets accidentally a lot easier if you let go!

That's all I have for Pattern 1.

For Pattern 2, immediately work your way up the screen to about 1/8th from the top. The rain starts off slower giving you time to react and move out of the way. The splash from below will not reach you.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: @korangaR .tL: :/ I'm sorry. I can't make it run any faster unfortunately. The game is retardedly simple yet it needs a super computer to get the most enjoyment out of it.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 10:31:02 pm by Yart »

desktopdoodlz

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2008, 10:34:30 pm »

lol, i found a way to code it in flash!
the newgrounds forum has a new thread that tells how to turn gamemaker games into online flash games!!!!
but since i dont use game maker, i dont understand the coding...

Yart

• Meow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2008, 10:36:45 pm »

Interesting!!

Mind giving me the link? I just so happen to have Flash... but I can't code in Flash... oh... poop...

Eh! I can give it a try on a later date I suppose. Though Flash is pretty bad as far as bloat and performance goes. I fear that it'll run even slower than it does now! (I've seen Flash slow down at some pretty pathetic things, like 10 objects on a small window on my machine that can play Oblivion with no problem)

Dagnarok

• Neutral Good Moderator
  • Administrator
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2008, 10:38:45 pm »

lulz.  The first one runs okay, so I can attempt a pattern 1 and 2 high score. :P

My strategy for pattern 1 is to stay at the bottom of the screen and the reverse in pattern 2.  Why?  Cause that's where you find the most gaps. :)

And no I cannot see a timer anywhere.  I'm going to assume it's in all versions. :P

desktopdoodlz

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2008, 10:39:46 pm »

ill try and find the link for you yart... tee hee, i love that name... sounds like fart

EDIT!: i found a link, its not the one i saw on newgrounds, but it sounds like itll work
good luck with it!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 10:42:40 pm by Lt. Desktopdoodlz »

Dagnarok

• Neutral Good Moderator
  • Administrator
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2008, 10:45:47 pm »

THIS IS SPARTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Oh son-of-a-gun!!  What would happen if the game said that right at the start? :o

Yart

• Meow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2008, 10:47:30 pm »

@korangaR .tL: Aw crap. Take a screenshot of in game (without dying) and go into MS-Paint. Fill the screen with white with the fill tool and you'll see it. That's what's supposed to be visible. I'll fix that in the next release. (The next release I want there to be at least 16 patterns. I don't guarantee it though)

@Lt. Desktopdoodlz: Thanks! I'll see what I can do. Though there's some stuff I want to iron out first. I want to at least wait until the next release before turning it into a Flash game.

@Sparta comment: It would become the most epic game ever known to mankind. :O SquareSoft, eat your heart out!

desktopdoodlz

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2008, 10:53:19 pm »

lol, no problem...
this is RAIN HEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yart

• Meow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2008, 10:56:27 pm »

I think I just pooped from laughter.

If you can record me a decent sound sample of you yelling that, I might consider putting it in the game. Seriously.

desktopdoodlz

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2008, 10:58:36 pm »

lol, ill try and get it tommorow

Yart

• Meow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2008, 11:02:46 pm »

Aight!

Hah!
"Tonight, we dine in Rain Hell!"

I could add them in as a secret or something. Maybe if you make a .txt file in the same directory and write "SPARTA!!" in it it'll activate the sound samples. :P

desktopdoodlz

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2008, 11:04:50 pm »

ok, i just shat my pants laughing, ok, ill use my camera and then just rip the audio from it

Dagnarok

• Neutral Good Moderator
  • Administrator
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2008, 11:12:01 pm »

Huzzah!  I found the timer! :D  It's in red for all to see (lol 8x magnification). :)  Now to find out if I can see it without Paint. :P

EDIT!!

It's seriously hard to see it with all the bullets there. >_<  Nonetheless, I did see the timer.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 11:13:35 pm by korangaR .tL »

desktopdoodlz

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2008, 11:23:00 pm »

ok, ive gotten about 30 lines edited with the word 'rain hell', if you guys have any more please post em, im gonna send yart about 300 voice samples by tomorow :P
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6