I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Chat button has been eaten. Click here to join in the idling fun!

Author Topic: Dangerous Dungeons! Challenging retro platformer!  (Read 6677 times)

AdventureIslands

• View Profile
    • My online portfolio
Dangerous Dungeons! Challenging retro platformer!
« on: November 06, 2011, 06:41:24 am »

Hello there. I would like to show you my first proper and finished game, created with StencylWorks flash game engine. It has been splitting lots of people's opinions, while haters say it is too hard, there are plenty of fans who have finished and loved the game, praising the old-school feel and difficulty. I thought it would be worth to mention the game here where I think most of the players are experienced hardcore players, and I would love to hear your opinions!

Dangerous Dungeons tells us a story about Timmy, a little thief treasure hunter, who has arrived to a deep and dark dungeon, ready to face the dangers inside to claim the biggest treasure in the world. DD Has been made to look and play like old classic platformers, so it can be quite challenging. There are total of 34 different Stages, 4 of them are Boss fights and 3 are secret stages.

Controls:
Use arrow keys to move and Z to jump. (you can change this in main menu)
Activate Switches and pick up keys by simply touching them.
Press R to restart a stage if you get stuck.
Press P to pause the game. (only when you are controlling the character)
Press Esc to return to the main menu.
0 turns sounds on/off and - and + adjusts volume. (only when you are controlling the character)

Doors in the stage selection open when you reach their corresponding stage the first time in either normal gameplay or Time Attack. The game will save between stages, so you can always continue your adventure later without losing progress!

Time Attack Mode:
If you choose Time Attack from the main menu, the game skips the intro and all cutscenes, and the game begins right away from the Stage 1. In this mode, two counters appear in the top right corner, other counts how long it took you to beat the game, other counts your total deaths. The final scores will be saved on scoreboards at the end of the game. Returning to main menu or entering secret stage the normal way will terminate your time so be careful!

Secret Stages:
The game has three hidden levels that are required to be beaten for you to reach the definitely final stage. You will receive hints how to find them after you beat Stage 30. These stages are not entered from doors, but by exiting the screen from the right area.

Screenshots from the game:

« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 12:39:28 pm by AdventureIslands »

Fred-eye-inc

Re: Dangerous Dungeons! Challenging retro platformer!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 11:16:45 am »

The links don't work. It seemed pretty good apart from the two bosses I fought. The first one I died more because the play area was so small that it was hard to jump in the right places but I guess that was probably the challenge. The second one annoyed me because I kept getting to the switch to fast and while the block lande don the boss it was before the boss had stopped so I touched the boss and died, you should make it so the switch doesn't work unless the boss is in the still position.

I got to like stage 25? It's one where you have to move blocks and stand on the because there's fire beneath you, then firefox crached and when I tried to play again and it wanted me to start again so I gave up.

Valkema

• Anonly Asia O_O
  • The Guy
  • What. I'm busy right now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 12:40:35 pm »

WHAT!?!

A GAME POSTED IN OTHER GAMES!?!

THAT DOESN'T SUCK!?!

Anyways,
Beat the game. Well the 30 main levels and the 2 secret levels in grass and fire. Didn't care enough to go back through the levels to find the last one.

AdventureIslands

• View Profile
    • My online portfolio
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 12:44:55 pm »

The links don't work. It seemed pretty good apart from the two bosses I fought. The first one I died more because the play area was so small that it was hard to jump in the right places but I guess that was probably the challenge. The second one annoyed me because I kept getting to the switch to fast and while the block lande don the boss it was before the boss had stopped so I touched the boss and died, you should make it so the switch doesn't work unless the boss is in the still position.

I got to like stage 25? It's one where you have to move blocks and stand on the because there's fire beneath you, then firefox crached and when I tried to play again and it wanted me to start again so I gave up.

Darn, how did I not notice that. Well I fixed the links now.

There is a tiny switch over a huge block that is hanging from chains in the air, and there is a huge monster chasing you. I thought it's use was fairly obivious, so I didn't set any limit when you can use the switch. There is similiar thing at the end of the third boss, don't pull the valve right away when you get to it.

New doors open in stage selection every time you clear a stage, and the game autosaves after every stage. Do you mean no doors were open in stage selection when you opened the game again? Weird.

WHAT!?!

A GAME POSTED IN OTHER GAMES!?!

THAT DOESN'T SUCK!?!

Anyways,
Beat the game. Well the 30 main levels and the 2 secret levels in grass and fire. Didn't care enough to go back through the levels to find the last one.

Haha, thanks. Too bad you gave up so early, you were very close to the finale. You know you can just go through levels in stage selection and return to the main menu with Esc when you are looking for the secret stages right?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 12:50:36 pm by AdventureIslands »

Fred-eye-inc

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 12:51:04 pm »

Yeah it is obvious it's just there's like 3 seconds where the monster is under the block but will kill you if you fall down so I just thought I was doing it wrong I didn't think to wait.

I didn't notice stage select:L

AdventureIslands

• View Profile
    • My online portfolio
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 01:01:00 pm »

Hmmh I should probably make the stage selection and saving more clear, maybe I add a little "continue your progress!" text next to the stage select button that appears after you unlock your first door.

Fred-eye-inc

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 01:14:54 pm »

And I cleared the 3rd boss and I did the same thing again. Did it too quick.

This is really starting to annoy me now>_>

Interesting fact the filesize is 666kb :3

AdventureIslands

• View Profile
    • My online portfolio
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 02:50:17 pm »

Looks like I need to adjust someone's collision box.

Neko Desu

• The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 03:44:46 pm »

I played this game and lost Tia=L

Cantavanda!

• Hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 11:25:37 am »

Cool, it is rare to see a proffecional game in 'other games'
I am the real cantavanda.
All I want is peace.

I am not a troll kid anymore.
I am 14 now.

'Sup, Hero?

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 11:26:01 am »

Pretty much, yea

Ellipsis

• Ellipsis
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
    • If Not Equal Limited
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 02:25:23 pm »

As this randomly got bumped I'll say I just picked it up again and bothered to play past the tutorial.

Finished it with both endings (secret and normal).
A very nice game. Just my kind of game really.
Lovely graphics, the first area music is a little poor compared with rest and the "tutorial" thing where you introduce new game elements slowly kind of annoyed me. It was just so easy for the first bunch of levels I nearly gave up.

However I really liked the running away "bosses" (although at first it was strange to be running from something that you'd left off screen long ago.
Oh and if you pour the water down too soon it misses the lava boss and you die anyway. Also first time I watered the lava boss and I walked off into the lava on the right of me thinking I could stand on the pipe.
The final secret area was really fun although the final ending was a little unsatisfying. All in all I'm just nitpicking here. Although please remove the bug where you get stuck in a wall if you jump up it while holding right, that killed me endless times.

Velocity

• And thou! Beside me, whistling in the darkness.
    • View Profile
A
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 06:40:09 pm »

I played until the second boss, and I really enjoyed most of it. I'll start playing it again soon.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 08:17:56 pm by Evan20000 »

Sora1ash

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 06:01:40 pm »

I gotta say, this is a fun flash game. The controls are good, the gameplay itself is good. Nice job man, good game.