I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Chat button has been eaten. Click here to join in the idling fun!

Author Topic: Sopa/PROTECT IP Act/Internet Blacklist Legislation  (Read 4338 times)

·Arturo·

• Eagles are turning people into horses
    • View Profile
Sopa/PROTECT IP Act/Internet Blacklist Legislation
« on: December 29, 2011, 06:55:37 am »

I'll modify this post some time tomorrow when I'm not about to sleep, for now I'll leave a few links and the letter I sent to my two senators and district house member.

: The letter I sent • show
I am a constituent and I urge you to reject the Internet Blacklist Bills (PROTECT IP Act in the Senate and the Stop Online Piracy Act in the House).  I am deeply concerned by the danger these bills pose to Internet security, free speech online, and innovation.  The Internet Blacklist Legislation is dangerous and short-sighted, and I urge you to join Senator Wyden and other members of Congress, such as Representatives Lofgren, Eshoo and Issa,  in opposing it.

I'm sure you've seen the above message a number of times, and while it's mostly true, I am not sure whether or not you are aware of what exactly these legislations WON'T do.  They'll block the domain names of the infringing sites, sure, but their IP addresses will still be accessible be it through custom browsers or proxy servers (Which there are a plethora of) found in secretive pockets of the internet.  The result of these bills will be reduced web traffick to sites that garner funds from advertisements (See section 103 of the bill commonly referred to as SOPA) and it appears to me personally that it could endanger webmaster's means of life.  I've heard numerous court cases settled on that, "Endangering means of life", and it seems to me that people that make a living off of ad revenue could be in danger of mistreatment. 

In the respect that I am a citizen of this country, having turned eighteen years old recently, I do not want to see my congress called a bully or any manner of names because of a simple misjudgment in legislature.  I find that for the future of not only the US, but the world, that the PROTECT IP Act and SOPA need to be halted.  If the United States begins DNS blocking (Like numerous "disliked" countries (Syria, Iran, China) globally) then it could set a standard for world web management that would make operating on the internet not just difficult, but inconvenient.

As a young man, I beg you to leave this vehicle of information, this means of communication, this pluralized marketplace of culture the way it is, and oppose the blacklist legislation violently. 

With high sincerity,
George Thomas Hamilton.

Discussion encouraged and appreciated - I'll see what you people have to say about the US's ridiculous legislation.

Actually, I'll start.  Someone explain to me the difference between burning books and removing websites with information on them, for starters.

I just imagined a huge security system with Art walking up to it. Suddenly there's a full body scan and the system simply says "Oldfaggotry confirmed." And a giant door opens and behind it is a gilded room full of gentlemanly discourse.

Steam ID: underthedome
Skype ID: arturo.timara

Pokota

• The Guy
  • Om! Nom! Nom!
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube!
Re: Sopa/PROTECT IP Act/Internet Blacklist Legislation
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 10:03:16 am »

Book burning: The information is gone forever.

Website removal: It's still on someone's hard disk somewhere.

Valkema

• Anonly Asia O_O
  • The Guy
  • What. I'm busy right now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 12:28:18 pm »

Except burning a book also doesn't lose all information if the author mass produced it.

Nono

• U Jelly?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 01:18:47 pm »

Except burning a book also doesn't lose all information if the author mass produced it.
Which is why there's no problem with burning a book, only with burning all books of a specific kind.

And SOPA doesn't remove websites, it just blocks the DNS. So instead of typing in the link, you just type the IP of a website and BAM, SOPA doesn't stop you anymore.
What can I say? I knew from the moment I saw my first trypophobic picture on /x/ that holes were not for me.
Quote from: Kayin
IWBTG Lore: Delicious Fruit are sentient. Their rage and intellect allows Delicious Fruit to be skilled hunters, especially in packs.

Venser

• Gloved Modulator
  • Godmin
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 02:28:36 pm »

And SOPA doesn't remove websites, it just blocks the DNS. So instead of typing in the link, you just type the IP of a website and BAM, SOPA doesn't stop you anymore.
If that's true, there's no reason that Chrome and Firefox (and even Internet Explorer and all those other browsers) wouldn't instantly have addons that register the IPs of websites and keep them in a file for the user...and then, if the DNS lookup fails, it tries the IP. Hell, that's not even complicated. I can't imagine this is really what they're trying to do, because if they are they fail to understand how abysmally stupid that would be.

Regardless, I haven't kept up with this very much, but I did send an email to my congressman telling him that this was one of the worst ideas I've ever heard of (this was back in its early stages). He never responded.
Ybbald: I read that as "deadly venser"
Ybbald: and I was like
Ybbald: "when is venser NOT deadly?"

Arkhanno: We'll have to out-source to the US. I know of a great doctor with lifeguard training that can do anything with a 90% success rate

Evan20k: Sherlock Holmes didn't have 5 arms and 6 penises and lifeguard training

Storyyeller

• The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 02:43:01 pm »

Yes, that's really what they're trying to do. Since when have the people creating these bills have any understanding whatsoever of how the internet works?

Neko Desu

• The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 04:27:33 pm »

Does this affect Canadian websites?

Also, Noah Antwiler (The Spoony One) also sent a letter arguing against the SOPA. This was the response, if you're interested:

Dear Mr. Antwiler:

Thank you for contacting me regarding Internet anti-piracy legislation, specifically the PROTECT IP Act and the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA). I appreciate hearing your views about these important pieces of legislation.

As you know, online piracy is a major issue facing the American economy as more and more digital creations, such as music, movies, software, and books, are moved online. The Internet, which has delivered so many benefits to our economy, has unfortunately also allowed bad actors to steal and sell these stolen works. It is estimated that our economy loses more than $58 billion annually as a result of online piracy. As part of an effort to fight back against these losses, Congress has introduced two bills, the PROTECT IP Act in the Senate and SOPA in the House of Representatives, respectively.

These bills are designed to help the government more effectively utilize legal tools that are already at our disposal to fight against online piracy and protect American intellectual property. If enacted, the legislation would allow the Department of Justice to notify a website owner that the government intends to pursue a court order for alleged illegal activities. Next, the court would have to determine whether the website has a significant use other than the selling of counterfeited goods. These basic protections are designed to provide due process protections to ensure legitimate websites are not at risk for inadvertent violations.

The PROTECT IP Act was passed out of the Senate Committee on the Judiciary and SOPA has been referred to the House Committee on the Judiciary on October 26, 2011. Please rest assured that should these bills come to the Senate floor, I will keep your views in mind. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts on this important topic. Please feel free to contact me regarding this issue, or any other in the future.

Sincerely,
John McCain

·Arturo·

• Eagles are turning people into horses
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 04:34:01 pm »

If you guys weren't aware I kind of notated that domain name blocking =/= site blocking in my letter.  And yeah, I was more interested in seeing if even a single person thought that censorship on the web was a good thing.

Also, it affects all websites.  All of them.  Because look at it this way: Without US Web traffic (And yes, they'll censor sites from US web traffic even if they're hosted outside the US (You can censor what isn't yours to begin with now) in another country) most of those sites will lose so much ad revenue they'll shut down/be disinclined to update any more.  Ridiculous, right?

Until you realize that the US, as much of a laughingstock as it's become, has set major worldwide precedents in the past (Slavery is bad guys) and could do it again by censoring the web.  Imagine if the world picked up web censorship as a standard.
I just imagined a huge security system with Art walking up to it. Suddenly there's a full body scan and the system simply says "Oldfaggotry confirmed." And a giant door opens and behind it is a gilded room full of gentlemanly discourse.

Steam ID: underthedome
Skype ID: arturo.timara

Koppis

• The Guy
  • JAKE ON URPO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 06:25:17 pm »

I don't can't believe this thread got a response like this.

SOPA and PIPA will destroy youtube, reddit, and all the sites with user-generated content. The internet's base protocols will be hurt.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 07:28:36 pm by Koppis »
lol

Lt. Ragnarok

• DEAD END
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 06:49:28 pm »

I don't believe this thread got a response like this.

SOPA and PIPA will destroy youtube, reddit, and all the sites with user-generated content. The internet's base protocols will be hurt.

It will likely be enforced selectively if "they" want to keep it; dicking over the popular fun things will likely generate ill will towards whoever downs the sites.
On another note, I've heard that should this get through, anyone is fully capable of temporarily turning off a government site that allows people to post.
<SilentLoner>: Fuck you

Koppis

• The Guy
  • JAKE ON URPO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 07:29:39 pm »

Yes, any corporation would have the right to shut down a site that "infringed their copyright".
lol

Kwiftee

• R ANGRY
  • That guy who's always ranting about stuff.
    • View Profile
    • http://no
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 08:29:34 pm »

I have no idea if this got brought up on the forums or not, but a while back Universal claimed copyright on a piece of media they didn't actually own, and youtube took it down.

Apparently, SOPA would allow this. It's ridiculous.
(Although I am getting my info for this from reddit, and they're not exactly perfectly unbiased about SOPA)
zyxfrlpso
Quote from: Yuletideriz
My god, if I could shit gold and I give it to you, you would still bitch because it was technically crap.
how about you GO ON IRC RIGHT NOW PLEASE

Koppis

• The Guy
  • JAKE ON URPO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 10:09:51 pm »

http://www.destructoid.com/ea-nintendo-sony-reduce-sopa-support-by-50--218742.phtml

Apparently large corporations have noticed you get bad press from supporting SOPA. I hope they also notice that just hiding the support won't make it better.
lol

LOLGAMMER

• aka lolgamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2016, 06:28:20 am »

FUCK