I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Gaiden 1.2 patch released. Click here to download!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 87

Author Topic: Running Count of People that Have Become The Guy  (Read 340657 times)

Kayin

• Well.. They're more like giant cherries...
  • Administrator
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
Re: Running Count of People that Have Become The Guy
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2007, 06:32:20 pm »

holy crap your not serious are you

MetaSeraphim

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2007, 07:37:26 pm »

holy crap your not serious are you

I'm very serious, it wasn't non-stop playing tho, I did have to take breaks for eatting, sleeping, etc, etc, etc.

I'm still not sure how exactly how I did it, all I know is it costed me my sanity, and maybe my soul.

BTW, great game you made, I can't wait to see what the finished version of it is like. Any idea when it will be released?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 08:02:51 pm by MetaSeraphim »

Kayin

• Administrator
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2007, 07:49:41 pm »

No clue. It won't just be a released 'HEY GUYS FULL VERSION' deal as much as it will be just general slow polishing and additions.

Also holy shit thats amazing. Did the ending generate a save file? I haven't even considered what would happen.

MetaSeraphim

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2007, 08:02:24 pm »

No clue. It won't just be a released 'HEY GUYS FULL VERSION' deal as much as it will be just general slow polishing and additions.

Also holy shit thats amazing. Did the ending generate a save file? I haven't even considered what would happen.

Nope, after the ending I looked to see if anything changed and there was nothing but a blank file, the game just ended like it always does.

Anubis

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2007, 12:34:25 am »

Kayin, methinks you should code something into the ending in Impossible mode to display the feat.

Fragmaster01

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2007, 01:41:00 pm »

I became The Guy! on medium... Everyone knows that's the best difficulty for it! I mean, that ribbon is the true marking of The Guy!
But yeh, I'm taking a long break from IWBTG, as it definately owned me greatly. I'm afraid to consider doing it again on hard, or even worse, veryhard/impossible.

Knight

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2007, 11:26:26 pm »

I became the Guy a few days ago. hooray for Christmas break and some time to actually play the game after the new content was released and finals were over.

With the exception of the glitches on the final boss (spinning machine guns, etc), it's one of the best boss fights I've seen. I didn't like the glass killing you when it breaks. haha. good stuff, though.

Wyatt

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2007, 06:42:50 pm »

I've finally become the guy: after countless attempts to slay former the guy, I booted up the exe today and killed him first try. Actually, I died right after I'd gotten the last shot in on him, but the game apparently still considers that a victory.

Game beaten on hard mode 'cause medium is for wusses (I never even tried playing it), and very hard is overly sadistic (What's the big idea not leaving in the save point next to the active missile after Mecha Birdo? I think it's impressive enough of a feat to get past two anulled save points, leaving a boss at the end, without dying; forcing the player to do a random timing challenge that's almost impossible to succeed at without repeating it is just unnecessary).

I can safely say that I haven't gotten this much enjoyment out of a game since Cave Story. Level design was brilliant; I didn't think I could ever die so much at the same stuff over and over without flipping out. Good job, Kayin, at programming a great game, and good luck for any that you decide to make in the future.

Jish

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2007, 07:08:26 pm »

I have become The Guy on Hard Mode, and I'm working on Very Hard now. I have the first six bosses beaten, and have recorded all of it so I can put it up on youtube.

While I'm on the subject, I think Very Hard needs some reworking. The stretch from the Ghosts n Goblins segment to Birdo's red orb thing is ridiculously hard, yet nothing else has posed THAT much of a challenge.

If you're taking suggestions, I think you should put the save point before Birdo back in, but keep the one in the missile room afterwards out. And there are a few other save points that could be removed for added challenge without making it too terrible. For example...

- The screen with the little pond you have to jump into after the Tyson fight
- Room of Divine Transport
- The cloud screen (the second one on the upper path)
- The "oh sweet god" room with all the spikes and the slowly moving platform (this one is debatable, but there is a save in the room immediately afterwards that SHOULD stay, so...)
- The screen after the really long disappearing blocks segment (which leads to the Palace warp)

There might be a couple in the Palace that are up for criticism, but I haven't gotten there yet.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 07:12:03 pm by Jish »

Kayin

• Administrator
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2007, 07:35:10 pm »

I like most of these suggestions and I think I'll use em.

MetaSeraphim

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2007, 02:10:58 am »

I was thinking of something like a save point at the very end ( after the apple XD) I would try to beat it again, the only reason I beat it the first time was from 10% of my gaming skill and 110% luck, there were so many MANY many times when I came so close to dying and the only thing that saved me was dumb luck. XD

MetaSeraphim

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2007, 03:41:42 am »

But you know I wondered then and still wondering now why didn't it make a save file like it does on normal games?

Oops, sorry about the double post, I didn't see the edit button.

Wyatt

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2007, 03:00:22 pm »

I'm going to support most of Jish's suggestions, even though they seem to be going in anyways. I thought the same thing for each one of those save points I reached.

I'm going to have to disagree, however, with putting in the save before birdo, AND with leaving out the one after. Beating Birdo after all the stuff before it gave me an insanely large sense of accomplishment, and honestly, it's not even really that hard. But the save afterwards should still be there, because it's just irritating to have to get through a luck-based challenge when failing means having to go spend a while to get back.

Kayin

• Administrator
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2007, 03:28:31 pm »

Maybe I should just standardize the hard saves to be like.. pretty much just before each boss?

Wyatt

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2008, 11:55:17 pm »

If saves were only before each boss, it would be hard enough to warrant a whole new difficulty mode (which actually wouldn't be a bad idea). The saves are placed pretty well as they are, they just need minor tweaking. Jish has already covered everything pretty well, so all that really needs to happen is for them to be implemented.

- The cloud screen (the second one on the upper path)

Isn't this one already removed?

- The "oh sweet god" room with all the spikes and the slowly moving platform (this one is debatable, but there is a save in the room immediately afterwards that SHOULD stay, so...)

This one should be implemented regardless of whether or not you take the suggestion I'm about to make. That suggestion is to remove the save at the bottom of the tower, and put the one in the middle of the tower back in.

- The screen after the really long disappearing blocks segment (which leads to the Palace warp)

I'm guessing you didn't know this when you posted, but The Path to The Guy's Fortress has no saves until right before the boss. However, I do agree that those two save points before and after the block room don't both need to be there, so I propose that the one before that segment be removed.

EDIT: Woah, I didn't realize that there was an entire thread about this in the suggestions forum. In order to make this post not a complete waste, I'll mention that I became the guy again, but on Very Hard mode.

I'd also like to note that both times that I did beat the guy, I didn't get his portrait in the bottom right corner. I can't figure out why this is, but I'll note that I dodged the cherry in the end credits both times, and I died after landing the final blow on the guy one of the times.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 12:08:17 am by Wyatt »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 87