I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Chat button has been eaten. Click here to join in the idling fun!

Author Topic: Another question I ask YOU, guys (not code related)  (Read 1857 times)

Benxamix2

• INACTIVE
    • View Profile
Another question I ask YOU, guys (not code related)
« on: January 27, 2012, 11:56:23 am »

Max. Instances: 1000 (configurable, this should be exactly the same as RAM MBs)

If the game detects an higher amount of active instances than that, it auto-shuts down to prevent a PC crash due to extreme use of RAM and/or CPU (happened to me before :S)
Ofc you can disable many instances via setting the graphic effects to ultra-low or low, but the game can still fuck up your PC even using that config.

This option can be used to know if you meet the MINIMAL requirements to play the game with your video configuration, and also kill the process to stop memory + cpu use (if it's using all the resources then you won't be able to terminate it yourself).
Using high graphic effects, with no blood particles, I've reached a 570 active instances peak...

Shall I implemment this system?
Just tell me what do you think.

core

• pls come back
    • View Profile
Re: Another question I ask YOU, guys (not code related)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 12:13:49 pm »

I'm not into stuff like this, but an option is always welcome imo.
Join the official IWBTF discord server!
Quote from: Yb
That was fucking obnoxious

[redacted]

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 05:14:23 pm »

Max. Instances: 1000 (configurable, this should be exactly the same as RAM MBs)
The number for 1GB of RAM in MB would be 1024 not 1000. Anyway, I think adding this system would be great but not needed at all. If you look at games like Super Meat Boy, stuff like lag and the game crashing could be fixed by just turning down the screen resolution. This system seems pointless, I haven't played a game yet that has crashed my PC because I didn't have enough RAM. (Other than playing Sprial Knights because I turned the Priority to high on Task Manager) So no, adding this system just seems like it would be a waste of time. Or if you want you can just add a option to disable some particle effects or just effects in general, if you really want to.

Benxamix2

• INACTIVE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 07:57:56 pm »

The number for 1GB of RAM in MB would be 1024 not 1000.

I already knew it...
I know about the "2" power (2 4 8 16 32 64 128 256 512 1024 2048 4096 etc etc) and the byte infrastructure.

Anyway, I think adding this system would be great but not needed at all. If you look at games like Super Meat Boy, stuff like lag and the game crashing could be fixed by just turning down the screen resolution. This system seems pointless, I haven't played a game yet that has crashed my PC because I didn't have enough RAM. (Other than playing Sprial Knights because I turned the Priority to high on Task Manager) So no, adding this system just seems like it would be a waste of time. Or if you want you can just add a option to disable some particle effects or just effects in general, if you really want to.

Take in account this is mainly for old computers, like a testing/debug option, not intented to be used by someone like you with a dual/quad core processor era PC.

Well, I just need another answer to be sure about implemmenting this or not...

Ellipsis

• Ellipsis
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
    • If Not Equal Limited
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 08:06:25 pm »

Sorry but I think this is a stilly idea.
By the you seem to be assuming that the user has nothing else using ram and has no swap file (this is used when you need more ram than you have) you are also assuming that each "Instance" uses up 1mb of ram. This is a huge amount more than I'd expect one to use.
People will just find it strange to have the program shutdown if that happens and I'm not sure that a non-buggy game should ever use enough ram to crash the computer anyway.

If you really want this then I'd go with just auto-lowering the graphics if the game detects large amounts of lag (it should also have a message telling the user what it has done). Although really I don't think this system is needed at all.

Benxamix2

• INACTIVE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 08:11:14 pm »

Sorry but I think this is a stilly idea.
By the you seem to be assuming that the user has nothing else using ram and has no swap file (this is used when you need more ram than you have) you are also assuming that each "Instance" uses up 1mb of ram. This is a huge amount more than I'd expect one to use.
People will just find it strange to have the program shutdown if that happens and I'm not sure that a non-buggy game should ever use enough ram to crash the computer anyway.

If you really want this then I'd go with just auto-lowering the graphics if the game detects large amounts of lag (it should also have a message telling the user what it has done). Although really I don't think this system is needed at all.

Hummm...
Thanks, that was such a great answer.
I might add an option for "Graphic Effects: Auto" in my game, what you said there is pretty badass ^^
Now I lock the topic, thanks everyone for your responses ;)

PS. Nope no auto-shutdown system.