I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Gaiden 1.2 patch released. Click here to download!

Author Topic: ITT: Ray diagrams (Physics)  (Read 1015 times)

Neko Desu

• The Guy
    • View Profile
ITT: Ray diagrams (Physics)
« on: February 15, 2012, 10:01:19 pm »

Is anyone here really good at drawing ray diagrams? Whenever I draw ray diagrams I always verify everything with that 1/f = 1/u + 1/v equation, but I never seem to be able to get it to work. The final position of the image in my diagram is usually always plus or minus 0.5 - 1 cm off from the actual calculated position of the image. Normally I'd let this slide but my examiners are really OCD people so I can't.

Any tips for drawing ray diagrams?

Kwiftee

• R ANGRY
  • That guy who's always ranting about stuff.
    • View Profile
    • http://no
Re: ITT: Ray diagrams (Physics)
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 10:29:41 pm »

don't draw them because the ray model is stupid and i hate it. wave particle duality all the way.

Nah, seriously, can't help with this one. Haven't touched ray diagrams since two years ago. I remember I hated them though, if that helps! :D
zyxfrlpso
Quote from: Yuletideriz
My god, if I could shit gold and I give it to you, you would still bitch because it was technically crap.
how about you GO ON IRC RIGHT NOW PLEASE

Venser

• Gloved Modulator
  • Godmin
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 10:49:21 pm »

I failed all the homeworks on vector diagrams in my Physics class in high school. 100% on the quiz, but I just didn't focus on it much in the homework. They're stupid and useless, honestly. No one has actually done things that way in 20 years.
Ybbald: I read that as "deadly venser"
Ybbald: and I was like
Ybbald: "when is venser NOT deadly?"

Arkhanno: We'll have to out-source to the US. I know of a great doctor with lifeguard training that can do anything with a 90% success rate

Evan20k: Sherlock Holmes didn't have 5 arms and 6 penises and lifeguard training

Neko Desu

• The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 09:31:08 pm »

Sometimes I'm not even that good at calculating them either.

Question: Two converging lenses each of focal length 10 cm are 4 cam apart. What is the focal length of this lens combination?