I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Chat button has been eaten. Click here to join in the idling fun!

Author Topic: IWBTG free open beta test for flash at stencyl.  (Read 4569 times)

solleader

• Hi everyone!
    • View Profile
IWBTG free open beta test for flash at stencyl.
« on: March 29, 2012, 05:46:32 pm »

Hi everyone you can try this beta test right here ---> http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/11912 (only for few days). This is an hard platform 2d game. Feel free to ask any question.

FAQ.
Q:Why this game is so hard?
R:This is a fangame of a i wanna be the guy game so is intendeed to be hard (not impossible), i'm not responsable of any ragequit! LMAO

Q:How about you?
A: i'm 21 years old, and i'm beginner game developer and this is my first creation, i have lots of experience about flash games. I made this game alone (i didn't make the arts and the musics).

Q: I'm interessed on this project, i want to report some bugs, i have some suggestions, ideas, how can i contact you?
A:You can contact me directly sending me a pm on stencyl, send a comment under the game, on my public facebook profile otherwise send me an email on solleader@hotmail.com

A special thanks to Abigayl and the tutorials that she made, also a special thanks to the friendly stencyl community.

Sora1ash

• View Profile
Re: IWBTG free open beta test for flash at stencyl.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 06:05:37 pm »

You should have some pictures, so that no one says something about it. I'll play this later on, and tell you if any bugs are there or something.

Benxamix2

• INACTIVE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 06:21:03 pm »

Horrible controls for horizontal movement. That's all what I have to say and the only reason I need to stop playing this fangame.

Berry Punch

• Kitty's BFF
  • 40 proof noggererer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 06:37:09 pm »

Step 1: Add friction.
Step 2: Add better collision detection.
Step 3: No gun?

After seeing those 3 things ON THE FIRST SCREEN, I was really discouraged. Also the fade in thing when you reset really is unnecessary and obstructs your view when you reset and just want to move immediately. That means that you have to wait for the screen to fully fade in before moving.
Download this [ABANDONED] shit that nobody cares about: I wanna be PHAT!

Ellipsis

• Ellipsis
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
    • If Not Equal Limited
sage
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 06:39:03 pm »

The game takes a really long time to load.

The fade on the title screen is a really slow and as such I didn't know anything had happened at first.

The physics are strange - you're using acceleration based movement. This means that as you hold down the right arrow key you slowly speed up as you move right. This is unlike IWBTG where if you press right you straight away start moving right with constant speed. While this is OK for some games I don't think it suits this kind of platform game at all and feels very out of place.

The tutorial has a scrolling screen, however the positioning of the game over text does not move meaning it gets left behind quickly. The game over text also has been cut out messily and doesn't look the best it could.

The tutorial turns out to be a troll, although you are called a noob for choosing it (although you are asked to play it before the main game). This is because you tell the player the wrong controls and only after they complete the "tutorial" on their own anyway. Then the tutorial ends with a floor filled with spikes and the only way to get the main game is by refreshing the page.

Each time you die the starting cut scene plays again and the text in the cut screen is displayed very slowly. This gets to be quite annoying. You can also continue with the cut scene after dying.
The game over screen is displayed behind the clouds.

The clouds also block spikes and gameplay.

You seem to abuse the wood "noob" everywhere which doesn't really add to the game experience. Especially when it's used for things you had no way of knowing. Such as that jumping or moving right at the start would kill you. This is also annoying as it delays you having to creep slowly to the right after each death.

You then had a spike which you can pass though without dying. This is quite lame as there's no way to find it other than through trial and error.

The game is prone the lagging.

If you bump your head on the ceiling you loose your double jump.

The sprites are incorrect. You use the inside of the earth where sprites should be rotated to have "flooring" on to of the earth everywhere.

The music does not loop. The game simple becomes silent after the short song ends.

I got board at this point and decided not to play further. I think this is largely because of the gameplay and the lack of fun I had playing the game rather than my lack of determination.

Please improve the game and test it thoroughly making sure it is now fun before posting an updated version of this game.

IidoTheFox

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/themorphingfennecfox
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 07:00:28 pm »

stopped on the first screen. the controls are massively delayed, making navigating through spikes absolutely no fun at all, and almost impossible.

This is the biggest problem and must be fixed ASAP.
http://www.youtube.com/user/themorphingfennecfox
Come by if you wanna see me suffer playing fangames!
Avatar by Xmatic-Zane on DeviantART.

solleader

• Hi everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 09:48:17 pm »

well thanks a lots for yours feedback. Actualy lag it's an issue, it didn't lagged when i tried on flash, anyway if u right click on the flash window of the game at set on 10mb the space it wil decrease a bit.
No gun at the moment yeah, i wanted to let the player get it after a while anyway not in this beta (i need to found a code that allow to let only 4-5 bullet at a time per screen before)

A special thanks to sage,

well i'm not using an acceleration based movement but just an istant moving force like the classical iwbtg, but the lag will let that to look like that (or maybe i setted so much friction to the player, well ill do some tests).

thanks about the game over screen (i didn't thought about it since the game levels are based on a single sqaure-scene except the tutorial).

Noo!  :-[ the tutorial isn't a troll! the floor filled with spike doesn't kill u, and u can complete it as a normal. This tutorial is just hironical and it's needed only to submerge the player on the logic of the game ;) (you can see the controls in the main screen!).

Clouds are intendeed to disturb the player preventing him to see anything (just to make some more challenge) but i think that those are making the game this so lagging so if i remove them i'm almost sure that the lagging issue will disappear  infact on the fourth screen (where the clouds are not present is more smooth, still with some lag but smooth ;D ).

Other things are on the list to be fixed!

lidothefox indeed! 
:kid: <3

solleader

• Hi everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 10:46:21 pm »

I've made some quick fix about the lag issue and the movement friction and i solved the fade out system when you reload the scene, how is now?

Benxamix2

• INACTIVE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 08:07:25 am »

Still hate the horizontal control.

When I stop pressing left or right the player should just stop moving instantly. But it decreases its speed instead of instant stop.

Also in midair I cannot stop moving the player horizontally.

Try to fix the collision system so when I touch the ground, player doesn't stop walking by half a second.

solleader

• Hi everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 03:01:34 pm »

Thanks everyone, Benxamix as u wish! Controls should be fixed now, no more sliding! I also fixed the collision system so you cant get struck on walls, also i removed some  :spikes: in the scenes so you can reach futher (where there is more fun :D ) without frustation!  Let me know how is going now :)

Sora1ash

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 05:54:05 pm »

Well the music is okay, but why does it seem like the controls lag for a sec before he jumps and stuff? The physics are kinda wierd. Is this going to be a flash Iwbtg fangame? I do like the idea of how it is kinda like an arcade game. My main complain is that you can't do a double jump if you fall off a cliff. Like you have to do the first jump before you can even do the second jump, kinda wierd. The spikes don't look that bad, could use a bit of work, but not to bad. The lava is okay, needs a bit of work. The kid is also kinda weird, like the jumping, because it has no sound effect. But other then that, it is an okay fangame. I hope this fangame does get worked on a bit more. Keep up the good work Solleader.

Berry Punch

• Kitty's BFF
  • 40 proof noggererer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 07:04:17 pm »

Physics are still weird (sliding after stopping), collision detection still needs work (you can bounce off corners by holding the jump button and flying spikes have a hitbox that is larger than the object itself) and SPIKES. GOD DAMN. You put spikes in LAVA. ONE KILLER IS ENOUGH.
Better, but still needs work.
Download this [ABANDONED] shit that nobody cares about: I wanna be PHAT!

Benxamix2

• INACTIVE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 07:23:32 pm »

-Sliding while changing direction.
-Don't use invisible or fake spikes, those things are very annoying.