I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Chat button has been eaten. Click here to join in the idling fun!

Author Topic: Silencing Gun  (Read 1037 times)

Neko Desu

• The Guy
    • View Profile

Kwiftee

• R ANGRY
  • That guy who's always ranting about stuff.
    • View Profile
    • http://no
Re: Silencing Gun
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 06:51:30 am »

if only it could be used over the internet.
...Oh wait that'd just be the ignore button. FORGET I SAID ANYTHING

Also weird I was just reading about this in a cracked article.

Anyway, it's a neat idea; I can't wrap my head around how it works, cause the article gave me the impression that it's some kind of psychological manipulation thing.
zyxfrlpso
Quote from: Yuletideriz
My god, if I could shit gold and I give it to you, you would still bitch because it was technically crap.
how about you GO ON IRC RIGHT NOW PLEASE

Evan20000

• Nuke 'em
  • Administrator
  • The Guy
  • Forum Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 10:38:25 am »

That's actually a neat idea, but wouldn't it lose effectiveness against a mob of people? I don't see police using something like that to suppress free speech, although the concern is quite valid.

Your videos could just be you in a Nazi outfit, shitting into a bucket while doing the can-can and they'd already be miles ahead of Pewdiepie.

Ellipsis

• Ellipsis
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
    • If Not Equal Limited
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 11:52:07 am »

As far as I can tell it just plays what you say after a delay.
Like you know, you call up a help center in India and you hear an echo back of everything you say just after you say it.
It's really, reallly irritating and I totally hate it, but I wouldn't say this is all that new? It won't actually prevent people from talking, simple make it hard for them to concentrate on what they are saying. Also surely everyone else near by can also hear the echo?
I'm not sure how well it'd would work on a crowd, however I can't see why it wouldn't work, provided it could be loud enough to be effective to everyone and could pick them up on the microphone. However I still don't think it would stop angry yelling as I'm guessing it's effect probably isn't that strong.

I think you can try this yourself. Open up Audacity, go to Edit > Preferences > Playback. Now tick software buffer and set audio to buffer to say, 200ms. Haven't actually tried this as I don't have a working microphone but it should work.
Or just ring a friend on Skype and have him place his microphone near his speaker (make sure that you wear headphones though or you'll just get feedback).