I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Chat button has been eaten. Click here to join in the idling fun!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What browser add-ons do you use?  (Read 2714 times)

Ellipsis

• Ellipsis
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
    • If Not Equal Limited
What browser add-ons do you use?
« on: May 05, 2012, 10:39:01 am »

So I was just thinking of switching just to chromium again but realised I really can't live without my add-ons.
So I was just wondering, what add-ons do you use?
Add-block plus is an obvious one but there's some other strange ones I use.
Could people list which ones they use and why.
: add-ons • show

: details • show
I had more but I've tried to cut down a little. I'd open to suggestions of more though of course. (Sadly a few older ones are incompatible with the newer Firefoxs, there's a useful add-on that still lets you use old "incompatible" add-ons but I've never got around to reinstalling it.)
Add-block plus is an obvious one as it's just so great at blocking ads.
Add-block plus pop-up blocker is just a really good pop-up blocker to get any that normal blockers could miss.
Back is close just means that if I open a new tab accidently by clicking a link and then try to go "back" not realising I'm in a new tab now it will just close the tab returning me as you'd expect.
Cookie manager lets me easily edit and more importantly backup/remove cookies. Sometimes it can be useful for cheating at games testing my website.
Download manager lets you customise that little "pop-up download window" I have it customised to not popup at all. I hate that window, if I want to see my downloads I'll choose tools > downloads and it will open in it's own tab.
Drag button gives me a little button for my task bar to let me drag the window, this along with my other button add-ons mean that I can get rid of the whole top bar on my Firefox and still have the "- [] X" buttons in the top right as well as a drag button. It's a bit of a hack.
Export cookies I admittedly rarely use. It's so that I can export my cookies in a standard format for use in things like my scripts. Instead of having my script login to a website I can just log in and tick "remember me" in Firefox and then export the cookies so my script is already logged in as me.
Firebug is a great tool for debugging my websites although the new Firefox has an amazing built in debugger so I could almost remove the add-on.
Foxyproxy is so that I can appear to be from the USA or whatever. Also the pirate bay is now blocked in the UK so it's helpful for that too.
Greesemonkey lets me install little scripts to change how websites act. I've got a host more scripts installed with that. Notably my script to make this forum a bit nicer.
Hackbar lets me test exploits and check my website can't be easily hacked. It also could be used for other things... To be honest I don't use it that much.
HTTPS everywhere - This is great, it means that if it can it will default to using the secure version of any websites. This means that connections to anything from the pirate bay to Google can't be recorded by anyone.
Keyconfig - This lets me change a few more of the Firefox hot keys that would be tricky to change without it.
Lazarus - to restore form data just in case it gets blanked - I hate it when that happens.
More toolbar icons - as mentioned above.
Newtab url - So that I can control the page my new tabs open to.
Nuke anything - if there's something that bugs me that add-block plus misses then I can use this to nuke it.
KDE options - this works with my Firefox theme, it just lets me customise my theme.
Rainbow - to easily change how one of my websites look. Also to change the background on sites to a colour that makes reading large amounts of text easier.
Tamper data - just in case I want to screw with/look at the data being sent by Firefox to a website.
Even more toolbar buttons - just in case.
Web developer - lets me easily disable things like javascript/css/images/cookies. And see how my websites work without them.
Xmarks - this syncs my bookmarks etc. with an online server so if I'm away from home or my harddrive breaks I can just install Xmarks to get my normal Firefox back.

I'd recommend everyone get Add-block plus, Add-block plus pop-up blocker and HTTPS everywhere as well as Xmarks or some way to sync their Firefox online. The download manager is also really nice to have a tab for downloads instead of a pop-up window.

I wrote this in a rush so it might be a little nonsensical in parts.
Now go tell me about your add-ons!

Benxamix2

• INACTIVE
    • View Profile
Re: What browser add-ons do you use?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 03:07:13 pm »

Adblock Plus and that's it because I never spent any more time looking for addons.
In fact, this one addon is the reason why I use Firefox instead of Chrome.

Nono

• U Jelly?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 03:15:41 pm »

You realize Chrome has adblock plus too right?

I have that, and some bulk downloading addon. Never bothered looking for more.
Oh, and Ponify.
What can I say? I knew from the moment I saw my first trypophobic picture on /x/ that holes were not for me.
Quote from: Kayin
IWBTG Lore: Delicious Fruit are sentient. Their rage and intellect allows Delicious Fruit to be skilled hunters, especially in packs.

Venser

• Gloved Modulator
  • Godmin
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 03:38:46 pm »

Ybbald: I read that as "deadly venser"
Ybbald: and I was like
Ybbald: "when is venser NOT deadly?"

Arkhanno: We'll have to out-source to the US. I know of a great doctor with lifeguard training that can do anything with a 90% success rate

Evan20k: Sherlock Holmes didn't have 5 arms and 6 penises and lifeguard training

OLDGREG

• Resident troll
    • View Profile
    • Silent Loner's fan Site!
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 05:01:24 pm »

Rarest Pepe

• IT BEGINS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 10:09:52 pm »

Adblock. That's pretty much it

Benxamix2

• INACTIVE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 08:53:29 am »

Yes, but that one sucked hard when I used it. Dropped it quickly and switched back to Firefox.

Venser

• Gloved Modulator
  • Godmin
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 03:46:05 pm »

Yes, but that one sucked hard when I used it. Dropped it quickly and switched back to Firefox.
It's...almost exactly the same thing. I'm guessing you probably installed one of the lesser-used Chrome adblockers if it sucked...the most popular one, which you can see I'm using in my screenshot, does everything you could ever ask from an adblocker.
Ybbald: I read that as "deadly venser"
Ybbald: and I was like
Ybbald: "when is venser NOT deadly?"

Arkhanno: We'll have to out-source to the US. I know of a great doctor with lifeguard training that can do anything with a 90% success rate

Evan20k: Sherlock Holmes didn't have 5 arms and 6 penises and lifeguard training

Benxamix2

• INACTIVE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 05:18:36 pm »

No, in fact I wrote "ad block for google chrome" at the search bar and this popped up: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom

I used that one and it just sucked.
I mean, Chrome is supposed to go faster than Firefox (and with ad blocker it "should be" even faster, avoiding those damn Flash thingies and stuff), but it didn't seem to be my situation.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 05:20:55 pm by Benxamix2 »

Koppis

• The Guy
  • JAKE ON URPO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 12:33:47 pm »

You should become a reviewer. "I tried this product, and it just sucked"
lol

SilentLoner

• Master of Time and Space
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 06:18:12 pm »

Fred-eye-inc

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 06:25:43 pm »

sans

• Lurks IWBTF 24/7
  • man. isn't my brother cool?
    • View Profile
    • Luigi Floating On An Egg Over A Sea
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 06:32:23 pm »

I used to use Browser add-ons, but then I attempted to make a horrible joke about bodily injuries involving a bow after getting my new laptop, I just didn't feel like re-installing everything. To be honest, there were only a handful that I remember using, but none that were essential to my browsing experience. Hell, I don't even use Adblock. The only important thing I care about is if it can deliver the website I want to visit relatively fast and everything works correctly.
MkidTrigun is and idiot for not recognizing the fact that Venser has edited this quote.

SilentLoner

• Master of Time and Space
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 06:33:13 pm »

Yeah, I used to have a couple more on my old laptop, but I haven't been arsed enough to find them and download them again.

'Sup, Hero?

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 08:09:37 pm »

Pages: [1] 2