I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Gaiden 1.2 patch released. Click here to download!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: For all you Youtube Partners  (Read 21427 times)

Kayin

• Well.. They're more like giant cherries...
  • Administrator
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
For all you Youtube Partners
« on: June 06, 2012, 01:46:23 pm »

I, the creator of I Wanna Be The Guy, give full permission for people to upload and monetize videos of them playing on any service. You can also include IWBTG material in any books, publication or whatever.

I also give full permission (Because I still get this question for some reason) to make fangames. I request any fangame to have an appropriately fangamey name (so no IWBTG2 like that slapdick on Yoyo Games).

I've recently revised my merchandise policies. The general rule is still true: Don't sell merchandise without asking. I might ask for a cut, I might not (I probably won't. I haven't yet). That said, most for-profit fan work is small scale things -- stuff on etsy, prints and stuff at conventions, whatever. While those things are technically illegal, I don't expect more concern from anyone than Naruto. So while I would still prefer to be informed (and to see your work for my own enjoyment), if your work is event based or limited run and you make it clear you're selling fanwork, I probably don't care.

So as a guideline, while I would prefer to always be notified, unless you expect to make more than a thousand dollars off something, I don't care. Not that this policy has any real legal enforceability, but I won't be mad and think you're a jerk or anything and won't yell at you if I find out.

I don't want to hinder fanwork, I just want to protect my self from people who might say, print a whole bunch of shirts on a big website and go "WELL YOU SAID EVERYTHING IS COOL SO WE DIDN'T BOTHER TELLING YOU". If you're reading this, wondering if you should sell something, you're probably not that kind of person and I'll probably be honored.

That should include MOST situations I've been asked about. So now I can put this up and you can still email me anyways. :P
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 02:42:13 pm by Kayin »

Valkama

• Anonly Asia O_O
  • The Guy
  • What. I'm busy right now.
    • View Profile
Re: For all you Youtube Partners
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 02:09:03 pm »

oh hey now I can monetize my speed run videos :D

Edit: Apparently I can't cause youtube thinks OnGameNet owns the rights to IWBTG
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 02:45:00 pm by Valkama »

Kayin

• Administrator
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 05:01:54 pm »

oh hey now I can monetize my speed run videos :D

Edit: Apparently I can't cause youtube thinks OnGameNet owns the rights to IWBTG

WHAT

Give me the relevant information and I'll try and take care of it. That --annoys-- me.

Valkama

• Anonly Asia O_O
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 05:22:57 pm »

Well basically I tried to Monetize my video and youtube said my video matched third party copyrights. It said the visuals of the video were owned by this youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TVOngamenet and then on 2 other of the videos it said the audio and visuals were owned by them. From a couple of friend I know they say OnGameNet has flagged their IWBTG Fangame videos with copyright claims although they disputed it and they never heard from OnGameNet again so I have currently filed a dispute of the claim.

Kayin

• Administrator
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 07:02:41 pm »

Can I get a link to the offending video? I wanna use that as part of my dispute.

Valkama

• Anonly Asia O_O
  • The Guy
    • View Profile

Kinata

• What, we're supposed to play games for FUN?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 09:18:08 pm »

But since you don't own the music in your own game, wouldn't people have to get audio permission from the original composers (good luck with that)? I still don't really understand how this works...
Disclaimer:

This author is not responsible for any headaches, frustration, blindness, high blood pressure, or suicides resulting from this post.

Read at your own risk.

Kayin

• Administrator
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 12:29:31 am »

Thats up to them to object and they have every right to do so. But youtube doesn't seem to care generally.

Pokota

• The Guy
  • Om! Nom! Nom!
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube!
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 12:42:50 am »

Did the actual channel owner file a complaint, or did youtube do it's usual matching content LOLOLOL bullshit?

Kayin

• Administrator
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 01:58:19 am »

I'm guessing it's content matching. I sent a message to the company. God knows if they can even read it. I can also file with youtube but that seems weird. IWBTG infringes on a lot of content, so registering it with them feels super weird. I don't want it registered with anyone but the games I borrow content from, if the owners choose to do so.

Kayin

• Administrator
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 03:01:58 am »

Current Situation.

"We're sorry, wanna do an interview?"

We're still trying to figure out quite WHAT is going on, but they seem cooperative.

Evan20000

• Nuke 'em
  • Administrator
  • The Guy
  • Forum Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 12:29:06 am »

So wait, on what grounds did they get "copyright holder" status on Youtube? O_o

Hopefully you can get this cleared up, but from the message you got I don't think they're going to try and obstruct you too much (I hope).

Your videos could just be you in a Nazi outfit, shitting into a bucket while doing the can-can and they'd already be miles ahead of Pewdiepie.

Valkama

• Anonly Asia O_O
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 03:03:27 am »

Alright so I'm having a bit of a problem with youtube. In order for the claim to be legit they need it to be in a PDF file or an image file and you need to have your electronic signature at the end with a date. Youtube is very picky :P

MaxX

• Yes, I did best fruit, spike, and moon!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 01:40:26 pm »

I am in the process of appealing a rejection for my videos as well, then I saw Valkama's post so I'm wondering if they'll give me the same answer about the PDF.

Likely won't find out for a few days anyway. The weird thing is that they OK'd my SD video of Yang in Curse Mode, but the HD boss fights/playthroughs were all rejected.
:kid: + :fruit: = <3

MaxX

• Yes, I did best fruit, spike, and moon!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 03:17:17 pm »

Dear godofnopants,

Thanks for submitting "IWBTG:Gaiden [HD] - Stage 1-1, No Deaths" with the following claim description for revenue sharing:

"The game's creator has given written permission to record/monetize videos of his game, here: http://kayin.pyoko.org/iwbtg/forums/index.php?topic=16646.0 " For all you Youtube Partners « on: June 06, 2012, 12:59:35 pm » Quote I, the creator of I Wanna Be The Guy, give full permission for people to upload and monetize videos of them playing on any service. You can also include IWBTG material in any books, publication or whatever. I also give full permission (Because I still get this question for some reason) to make fangames. I request any fangame to have an appropriately fangamey name (so no IWBTG2 like that slapdick on Yoyo Games). I cannot paste the entire message because of the character limit."

We have reviewed your video and need more information. Please provide written documentation that you have all necessary commercial rights to make money from your content. Simply stating that you own the video content is not enough. Here are some examples:

Visuals:

Images, video games, or software visuals licensed for commercial use require a copy of a license agreement, or a link to the terms.
Original visuals from third parties require written permission from the rights owner(s) stating that you are permitted to use their content commercially. Please remember to include the video’s URL.

Audio:

Royalty-free music requires: the song title, artist name, a direct link to the track, and a link to the terms.
Music you created using software or stock music requires that you identify the program used, and its terms.
Original compositions from third parties require written permission from the rights’ owner(s) stating that you are permitted to use their content commercially. Please remember to include the video’s URL.
If you are the artist, please provide us with your name, song title, the composer/publisher, and music label.
If you would like to watch helpful tutorial videos, click here.

Please click here to submit documentation

Thank you for your cooperation.

Sincerely,

The YouTube Team
:kid: + :fruit: = <3
Pages: [1] 2