I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Gaiden 1.2 patch released. Click here to download!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Author Topic: I WANNA BE THE GUY: GAIDEN RELEASED  (Read 115127 times)

Pokota

• The Guy
  • Om! Nom! Nom!
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube!
Re: I WANNA BE THE GUY: GAIDEN RELEASED
« Reply #90 on: July 16, 2012, 05:09:01 pm »

1. On this one try (on my fourth file IF that matters) no matter how many rotten fruits I hit him with, it didn't knock him out, I hit him with EVERY rotten fruit on screen, and he didn't go down! He killed
me at some point or another.
This happened to me too. And on one try if i killed him, nothing happened then (floor did not open), i was stuck.

Also, it is possible to go like this(by grappling in the circle), i dont know if it was intentional. Grappling hook generally behaves strange sometimes :P:

Anyway, thanks for this great game! I kinda regret i beat it already(1741/7:26) :D
Ah, but using that shortcut precludes you from Nineballing the first boss.

Ellipsis

• Ellipsis
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
    • If Not Equal Limited
« Reply #91 on: July 16, 2012, 06:31:58 pm »

Got it running on Linux via wine.
Constructs error was totally useless.
However when I ran from terminal wine itself showed a useful error.
A lack of MFC42.DLL.
Install winetricks then run "winetricks d3dx9".
This will complete, now just go online and download MFC42.DLL and place it with the exe for the game.
Fixed. Now the game works perfectly on linux.
Ok, now errors:
The game has no favicon (well just the construct icon in the taskbar, this is kind of ugly).
In opening storylines shows very slowly. Far to slowly to be the rate anyone actually reads at.
At the end of the opening story it remains black for quite a long time before returning to the main menu.
Controls are never actually mentioned in game.
You use "up" to move right from trophies to options. This might be done on purpose but it's still kind of strange.
Music does not loop on save select screen. (or I think in some other bits of the menu)
Using mouse for gamejolt login makes no sense when you use the keyboard for everything else.
Can't shoot on map screen.
Falling in water makes splashes that overlap land. Falling in water on left of starting place looks like you splash at wrong point from perspective. This also happens in the first level.
When parachuting in you can still turn around, only when you release pressing a button will the player sprite snap back into the correct position. You can also shoot/charge while "get ready" is on screen and the charge appears at the bottom of the screen.
If you charge-shoot in the parachute then wait till the last bullet goes and charge again charge particles get dragged after the last bullet. The charge particles also often overtake the bullet itself.
When you jump off the parachute onto land the screen slowly shifts right in a strange way.
When you die the kid does not really get destroyed, he just goes invisible. You must make sure he freezes and gravity no longer acts. This also existed in the original IWBTG and led to almost every invincibility glitch as well as strange screen changing after death.
Also, if you're charging a bullet and die the bullet glow remains and the charge sound loops.
When you part charge but not full charge then release nothing happens at all. You should shoot a small bullet.
If you try to charge another bullet just after releasing a charged bullet you do not get charge graphics until the last bullet goes totally out of memory and is destroyed. Although I think that charging action still works. I think this is because you have only one particle system for all charge effects. You could just prevent the player from charging another bullet until the last is destroyed to work around this.
If you charge, then use a safe you'll fire but only after you leave the save will the graphics of the end of the charge bullet fire effect show.
That falling thing after the first save sometimes falls and sometimes doesn't when you try jump on it.
You can kill the first guy who throws metal blades at you (metalman?) Before he spawns (while he is in fact invisible), just charge shoot where he will spawn.
At the start you don't start until "get ready" goes away but the rest of the game you can play while "get ready" is onscreen.
On difficultys where the starting save doesn't exist I'm not sure how to reach the first platform.
ESC doesn't do anything (maybe it should pause/quit/go to menu)
No pause.
If you grapple hook when in a save and then press up you'll get dragged out the save but still save and be frozen while the save continues.
Sometimes metalman double shoots when you first meet him. Sometimes only once.
I can't graple-hook up when I start in parachute or most of the time I can't but sometimes I can. I'm not that sure why.
If you graple-hook onto something above you while standing on the ground you go through the floor a bit.
After death it's silent but you can still hear metalman shooting bullets at your corpse over and over.
After the 2nd save if you graple-hook onto that falling thing as it goes of screen it kind of looks like it moves sideways.
I jumped off the falling thing and graple-hooked onto the bridge and swung there. The metalman guys talked along then fell through the bridge onto me. I died leaving just the graple-hook swinging backwards and forwards forever. The camera still follows it.

Anyway, that's all for now. I'm sleepy and only had a couple of minutes to play it. I'll play further in a bit.
You know at one point at least I wanted to be a game bug tester because my friends always commented that I always accidentally found loads of bugs in every game I played. :P
Hope that list is not to daunting or badly written.
It'd be nice if you could put the "running on Linux with wine" steps in the opening post.
Thanks. I'm going to go sleep now.
Great game so far. ^^

Winhelp

• Wow you can put text here
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 16, 2012, 06:42:33 pm »

Oh, and i just watched stream recording from EVO and i realised that my ending cutscene was kinda broken, only the left part of the castle was visible(it did not scroll to the middle,it just stayed there). Everything else was fine :P

EDIT:
also:
Ah, but using that shortcut precludes you from Nineballing the first boss.
I'm pretty sure i just used that shortcut and beat first boss.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 07:11:37 pm by Winhelp »

tijit

• IWBTG Champion
  • yatta
    • View Profile
    • tijital-games.com
« Reply #93 on: July 16, 2012, 07:03:45 pm »

I had insomnia before it was cool

liquidCorgster

• Signature Moderator
  • The Guy
  • hanged man
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 16, 2012, 07:52:24 pm »

Oh my good golly gosh.

I just now realized you can alter the angle of your grappling hook.
It took me clearing two stages (AND THOSE SAWBLADES) to realize.

TROLOLOLOLOLOL

Trust me; being able to shoot your Grapple straight is a HUGE help in several places.

It's also literally required on Stage 3.

Not really.  It's the better approach, but not really necessary.

Really? How else would you go about that? (Assuming we're talking about the falling platform here)

Dagnarok

• Neutral Good Moderator
  • Administrator
  • The Guy
  • Commander of the USP Talon
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 16, 2012, 07:58:10 pm »

Oh my good golly gosh.

TROLOLOLOLOLOL

Trust me; being able to shoot your Grapple straight is a HUGE help in several places.

Really? How else would you go about that? (Assuming we're talking about the falling platform here)

I was referring to straight FORWARD, not straight UP, but on that you're right. :P
Quote from: Tilyami
Shuu is like the monkey's paw if the monkey's paw was a partridge.

Kinata

• What, we're supposed to play games for FUN?
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 16, 2012, 08:40:46 pm »

Beat it on Medium and then Hard mode, and it's great, although 1-2 is indeed harder than both 1-1 and 1-3.
But I was wondering- Is there a link to the boss music remix anywhere? I searched but wasn't able to find one.

Regular: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28oDZTgVrOM
While Bald Bull is down: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBJ43s2sjpg
Disclaimer:

This author is not responsible for any headaches, frustration, blindness, high blood pressure, or suicides resulting from this post.

Read at your own risk.

liquidCorgster

• Signature Moderator
  • The Guy
  • hanged man
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 16, 2012, 10:32:58 pm »

Oh my good golly gosh.

TROLOLOLOLOLOL

I was referring to straight FORWARD, not straight UP, but on that you're right. :P

A miscommunication then. ;P

Dagnarok

• Neutral Good Moderator
  • Administrator
  • The Guy
  • Commander of the USP Talon
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 16, 2012, 10:34:01 pm »

Oh my good golly gosh.

TROLOLOLOLOLOL

A miscommunication then. ;P

Happens, man.

Kinda wished I remembered to Grapple straight when handling the first boss area; would've simplified things. <_<
Quote from: Tilyami
Shuu is like the monkey's paw if the monkey's paw was a partridge.

Ellipsis

• Ellipsis
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
    • If Not Equal Limited
« Reply #99 on: July 17, 2012, 09:20:38 am »

: bugs with small spoilers of first level • show

Hold up in a save and it saves, keep holding and the save music spams and sounds terrible.
The metal man paratroopers seem to incorrectly fall through the ground a lot. Also when they die they go under the top of the water then re appear under it. It messes up the perspective.
You can't stand on those orbs you grapple-hook off?
In hindsight maybe you meant for the grapple-hook to keep swinging after death?
The metalman paratroopers sometimes airdrop on your spawn, sometimes don't.
Sometimes a metalman paratrooper lands on top layers, sometimes he parachutes straight through it.
You can kill the guy that spawns those metal floaty things just after the 3rd save from across the screen so he stops spawning more. Not sure if you meant for this to be possible.
The metalman paratroopers never shoot(?)
The floor just after falls and does the same thing as the troopers when it goes through the water. They should go *under* the see.
The troopers normally just walk into the water. But sometimes they will actually turn around when they reach the edge?
You can't hook onto the underside above the falling ground?
The achievements for number of deaths should be related to the total number over all saves. Not the number on one save. You might have already done this though. I'm not totally sure.
On the furthest right hand side of the map it looks like the sea kind of ends early. The wave effects. Might have been done on purpose.
The guy in the window who shoots are you is totally happy to shoot backwards at you (the other way to the way his gun points).
At the end of barrrals part on top layer the music fades every time you jump. Very strange.
I don't like how lost of the time the hook will go through the red flooring but sometime like the bridge or just before Donkey Kong monkey the hook will attach to the same type of red blocks.
Above Donkey Kong if you jump left you can see paratroopers spawn out of nothing, they may even spawn on top of you.

Now I'm stuck.
: here • show

I have no idea where to go.
Great game so far though.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 09:22:35 am by Ellipsis »

liquidCorgster

• Signature Moderator
  • The Guy
  • hanged man
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 17, 2012, 09:35:45 am »

Ellipsis, the barrels.

Ellipsis

• Ellipsis
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
    • If Not Equal Limited
« Reply #101 on: July 17, 2012, 12:09:28 pm »

OMG, you can grab them. That's just plain awesome.
Erm. There's a safespot just to the left of him where you can grab the barrels and throw them at him.
I beat the level! Yay. The next level unlocked and I walked to it after it did but was killed by the falling green thing.
Then I pressed right straight away and moved to the second level before the path had unlocked showing it. And now the second level is marked as complete and I can go to the third already?
I'm not sure, are they meant to unlock together? (1-2 and 1-3)
Yeah, I'm getting the feeling I'm just being a twat reporting all these bugs. I think I'll stop, sorry guys. I don't look for them on purpose. I just find them >.>.
Thanks for the hint Liquid I wouldn't have got it otherwise.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 12:11:08 pm by Ellipsis »

Pokota

• The Guy
  • Om! Nom! Nom!
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube!
« Reply #102 on: July 17, 2012, 04:53:34 pm »

Wow, that's some serious Nineballing potential there. I'll have to see if I can get to that position reliably (it probably beats camping in the space underneath DK)

liquidCorgster

• Signature Moderator
  • The Guy
  • hanged man
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 17, 2012, 05:02:22 pm »

I figured it was subtle enough. ;)

KappaRyu

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 17, 2012, 06:48:41 pm »

holy crap i'm afraid to continue (and not just because of SAWBLADES)

and @Ellipsis: about the opening cutscene, that's how fast the Castlevania 3 intro cutscene was.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 06:52:16 pm by KappaRyu »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12