I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Gaiden 1.2 patch released. Click here to download!

Author Topic: Calling All Fangame Makers!!! Fix Your Games!!! (Windows 8 Crashes)  (Read 9008 times)

Brooks2000

• View Profile

As many of you may/may not be aware, there is frequent crashing present on  in a large number of fangames created using Game Maker when played on Windows 8.

As a fan of a number of IWBTG fangames, I am now unable to play most of the "good" fangames, and its a huge shame.
The issue as far as I am aware is caused by the way certain sound effects are used, and there is a fairly simple fix. So I am calling all fangame developers to apply this to your games.

The crashes appears to be able to be fixed by following these steps:
- Create script sound_fix, or whatever suits you
- Add the following two lines in the script
   sound_stop(argument0)
   sound_play(argument0)

- Now replace all of the sound_play functions in your game to sound_fix(YOUR SOUND HERE)
(Music doesn't matter, only the sound effects)

This link may be more informative: http://forums.mfgg.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13729

Applying this fix to the engines is just as important, as 90% of fangames will be made using this.
Simply ignoring these kind of crashes will result in all your games being completely unplayable in the future. Just because at this moment in time windows 8 is not used in the majority, it will be in the future.

As this may occur on specific sound effects I will post a few specific the instances of when I have witnessed the crashes, other windows 8 users can do the same:
I Wanna Be The Fangame - On the right path whenever the black things hit the ground.
I Wanna Be The Fangame - On the left path when the large ball crashes through the wall.
I Wanna Be Like Brisulph - Bomberman area as soon as the bombs explode.
I Wanna Be Like Brisulph - Whenever the minecraft TNT explodes.

It may be worth to keeping these kind of things in mind when looking for crashes in your own fangames.

Infact as a windows 8 user, I will play through your game for you once you have applied the fix to ensure no crashes are present.
(Keeping in mind im not the best IWBTG player in the world and will just quit if the game is pure BS)

Darkwraith Axl

• Returning with newfound humanity.
    • View Profile
Re: Calling All Fangame Makers!!! Fix Your Games!!! (Windows 8 Crashes)
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 03:21:02 pm »

> This community: Elitists pieces of shit.
> That community: Retards without a lick of taste.
Pick your poison.

Thenewgeezer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 04:17:38 pm »

this is a legit problem though for windows 8 users, and it is an easy fix. but the problem is will people care enough to fix it

YoSniper

• Code blooded. Check it and see.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 04:20:06 pm »

Well, I wasn't planning on doing anything more to IWBLB, but I suppose this will allow me to put in a few more fixes as well.
I don't traverse the forums as much anymore. Follow me on Twitter if you want to keep tabs on me!

Twitter: @YoSniperGames
Twitch: yosniper

Streams happen whenever I feel like it.

Berry Punch

• Kitty's BFF
  • 40 proof noggererer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 04:33:16 pm »

People actually using Windows 8? HAH

Windows 8 becoming a majority of operating systems? HAH HAH

Or you could run it in compatibility mode and it should work fine...
Download this [ABANDONED] shit that nobody cares about: I wanna be PHAT!

Ellipsis

• Ellipsis
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
    • If Not Equal Limited
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 04:42:23 pm »

Strange, I haven't really noticed any problems on Linux. Then again I don't play that many fangames.
I hear it might be a flaw in directX music thing?
In that case you might find it patched in one of the microsoft windows 8 updates in the next few months.

Brooks2000

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 04:44:45 pm »

Yea, tried that and it does not work.
Both running as administrator and/or in compatibility mode have the same effect, The fan games still crash.

I am not here to sell windows 8 to anyone, but its a perfectly fine operating system and is just as good as 7. Most people who hate it have never used it, there is nothing stopping it becoming the major OS over time. but hey I don't want to get off topic, that's an argument to have elsewhere.

As for IWBLB its great to hear you might try to implement a fix. tbh I was not expecting much in terms of people actually listening and fixing their games, So this is great news. Plus I love Brisulph so it would be nice to be able to play it again.

YoSniper

• Code blooded. Check it and see.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 05:38:35 pm »

Well, sometimes certain projects just have to be revisited. I just don't want to get caught in an endless loop like Boshy or something, where I'm continually releasing updates and/or patches and the game is never truly done.

But since this appears to have a lasting effect on how these games are played in the future, I should definitely release one last update. Should be done tonight, in fact. And maybe I'll be able to host it on MediaFire this time, but it's such a huge package that 4Shared might still be the only way to go.
I don't traverse the forums as much anymore. Follow me on Twitter if you want to keep tabs on me!

Twitter: @YoSniperGames
Twitch: yosniper

Streams happen whenever I feel like it.

kuchitsu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 09:23:40 am »

Would it be possible to create some sort of separate patch that would fix these problems without the need to fix the games themselves? It just seems highly unlikely that even 5% of fangame makers will bother with this. There are just too many games.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 09:28:55 am by kuchitsu »

SirRouven

• I like Touhou.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 10:05:14 am »

It just seems highly unlikely that even 5% of fangame makers will bother with this. There are just too many games.
We donĀ“t really need that fix on most existing fangames.
As long as the worth being played fangames get fixed it should be alright.

Also you can fix this issue by using an external sound engine like the Super Sound System or the FModex Sound System instead of the Gamemaker Sound System.

I also think that the people who created good fangames will fix this if they get informed about this problem because these makers normally actually care about their games.

Ellipsis

• Ellipsis
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
    • If Not Equal Limited
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 09:24:51 pm »

If we just wait it'll probably get patched? Either in direct X or in Gamemaker.
Seems kind like a bit of a waste of time for all fangame makers to implement a work-around in their games just the bug for it to be fixed in a couple of weeks?
How long has this existed for and has their been any official comments as to it being fixed?

Valkema

• Anonly Asia O_O
  • The Guy
  • What. I'm busy right now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 09:26:21 pm »

Just use a virtual machine lol.

Sephalos

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 05:01:13 am »

Ugh... I had no intention of even getting near Windows 8 and yet it still finds a way to make me hate it.
Although, I guess the real culprit here is GameMaker for being downright inefficient.

Alright this should be no problem to fix, I was going to use super sound to work with basic sound effects eventually. Better sooner than later I guess.