I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Gaiden 1.2 patch released. Click here to download!

Author Topic: Cave Story + IWBTG (minigame)  (Read 3824 times)

Jksnxia

• I make short films too :3 Check out my youtube
    • View Profile
    • me youtube
Cave Story + IWBTG (minigame)
« on: April 13, 2013, 04:15:22 pm »

So Wolsky McKitty and I wanted to make this game with features from both Cave Story and I Wanna Be The Guy...so I did.

It originally was going to be a full game, but Wolsk hated on GM and decided we should do that in MMF2. Although I already had the engine working in GM, so I decided to continue it and just make a short, minigame of this.

I was gonna post it when I have it done, but I keep running into problems so I think I will need some more help and poop before finishing. Of course I won't constantly spam questions and little updates, but any help would be greatly appreciated :) Two major issues I have right now are slopes, which I tried implementing from the japanese engine but I didn't understand the code nor could I fit it to my engine, and saving global data, because I'm using GM's built-in save_game function (cuz I was lazy)

Alpha 1: http://www.mediafire.com/?785aybnyt3w4tqs

There is currently a "secret" - see if you can get the laser weapon
Creativity and optimisim

Jksnxia

• View Profile
    • me youtube
Re: Cave Story + IWBTG (minigame)
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 06:35:46 pm »

aw, nothing?
Creativity and optimisim

Kudo.

• The Guy
  • Shin Megami Tennis
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 09:12:19 pm »

Sorry man, this is kind of the slowest board on the forum (although maybe that's somewhat of an improvement compared to past...)

Just a first impression, but this is...mediocre, at best. Although it's hard to expect much else from something out of GM. Now let's get descriptive:

1.) Entering text events- jumping into them and "floating" while the text goes is already a bad sign- I suggest either freezing the situation completely and letting the text run, or making the player forcibly drop directly down (at the same rate as a regular drop) and starting the text after dropping to the ground. Or remove the text events altogether, I'd be ok with that too considering it really doesn't look like you have any compelling story to tell (unlike actual Cave Story).

2.) There's an area to the left of the first screen that graphically indicates you should be able to pass through- you can't. If that's purposely closed, then let the graphics depict that. If that's purposely closed AND purposely depicted as open, then I've got some bad news about level design prospects.

3.) Admitted laziness (see: gun), now that's straight up half-assed. Pointing it out only makes it worse- that's something to leave in, per say, commented code, not a message to every player.

4.) Game Over, and the Dragon. Cave Story has the generosity of easy to mesh graphics, as such, the first area itself looks fine. These two graphics, break this terribly. Alternatives could be something like a Cave Story style text box popping up saying the fabled words of defeat, or some similar approach.

Anyway, went down to get the "secret" laser just by chance- went to the room on the bottom right, wall- BAM:
for object obj_storytext3:

Error in code at line 3:
   draw_text(x,y,page[pageIndex])
                 ^
at position 16: Unknown variable page or array index out of bounds

Final flag of a typical fangame.

Ellipsis

• Ellipsis
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
    • If Not Equal Limited
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 09:25:34 pm »

It seems I was ninja'd by Kudos. :)

I felt bad for the lack of replies so I tried you game a little.
If you post screen shots in future it will entice people to play the game more.
Here's a tutorial I made on slopes in Gamemaker 4 years ago.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe_bM4Wo1BM
Although you're not using Gamemaker now anyway(?) the theory still apply. If you press right and you can't move right free then check to see if up and to the right is free. If it is move there. That is how slopes work. That said it's a fairly terrible tutorial I made.

As for the game. Well I was quite pleasantly surprised. You have nice music on the title screen and a little dog (which I think is a good touch). Although he then gets stolen!? And then you're board so you try save your dog? This plot is strange(?)...
The controls are a little strange to get used to. The jumps are spot on for Cavestory though. It took me a minute to realise you had a double jump though. Maybe mention it on the menu or something? I'm used to Cavestory having no double jump and "z" is a better jumping button for a platform game than up. All in all though, these aren't big issues and the menu was very nice really. I liked the "no save data" text which appears too.

In the first room we get a cut scene which is nice but I wish I didn't have to read it again each time I died. And you get a gun which you can't possible keep and then your friend comes and kills you on a dragon?

In the second room I get:
ERROR in
action number 1
of Draw Event
for object obj_storytext3:

Error in code at line 3:
   draw_text(x,y,page[pageIndex])
                 ^
at position 16: Unknown variable page or array index out of bounds

So that was as I got. Anyway, keep working on it (or other Fangames). I like Cavestory and it would be nice to see an IWBTG cross-over with it.
Good night.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 09:30:27 pm by Ellipsis »

Jksnxia

• View Profile
    • me youtube
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 09:26:06 pm »

Thanks. Yeah I realized the error not long ago, the next room is actually a big part of what I coded. I'll reupload it soon. What would you suggest that I use instead of the dragon and the Game Over screen then? I wanted to push the player to run back up the upper left hand corner right across from the door, and also have the element of surprise from iwbtg, so I decided to add something random.

Also I'd like to clarify that this is not a fangame, if it were I'd have posted in the Fangames! section, and the only reason I'm using Game Maker is that it was originally a project for a class and it requires Java only, and GML is similar enough to Java.

Edited: woop, got ninja'd, this was for Kudo

@Ellipsis
Thank you, haha the storyline was just something random I made up on the spot, and ah thanks for those comments. (You can talk to the dog and he barks ><) Umm, I guess I'll add an option to change controls later then. Sorry about the error message again, it was the last thing I implemented and the last thing I didn't bother to check..sigh
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 09:30:39 pm by Chainge »
Creativity and optimisim