I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Gaiden 1.2 patch released. Click here to download!

Author Topic: I Wanna be the Guy: Gaiden Mac Help  (Read 8836 times)

Ma_Pignon

• View Profile
I Wanna be the Guy: Gaiden Mac Help
« on: June 22, 2013, 04:51:53 pm »

So, many people are undoubtedly aware of the fact that I Wanna be the Guy: Gaiden is not available on Mac. So I've created a walkthrough to help people use "Wineskin" to play the game on their Mac.
       1. Get a copy of Wineskin, it can be found here, as well as a manual for use http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-index.php?page=Wineskin%2C+Play+your+favorite+Windows+games+on+Mac+OS+X+without+needing+Microsoft+Windows
       2. Download I Wanna be the Guy: Gaiden on your Mac
       3. Open Wineskin, and chose an engine, preferably the most recent engine, press +, chose the engine, and then click "New Wrapper"
       4. After the wrapper is complete, right click on the icon in the Finder, and click Show Package Contents
       5. Place IWBTGG.exe in the folder labled DRIVE_C
       6. Because Wineskin is not a perfect emulator it is missing a key component to run IWBTG:G mfc42.dll you can find this around the internet but beware of viruses, I personally used http://support.casahl.com/kb/raknowledgebase.nsf/743c29533b14ab63882564ae007d738a/07d8d84ab1a2c09d8825686c007ab6d1?OpenDocument but be warned that while this worked for me it may have been attacked by malware, designed to hurt your computer.  :-\
       7. Put the .dll in the Drive_C, Windows, in the System 32 folder.
       8. Go back to the first screen and run the Winetricks app inside your wrapper
       9. Click Advanced Settings, then click brows and chose IWBTGG.exe in your Drive_C
       10. Move the entire wrapper, that you should have labeled I Wanna be the Guy: Gaiden to your desktop or Dock and click
       11. Enjoy the game  ;D
Problems:
Cannot Link to Gamejolt- no idea why, just won't work  :'(
Achievements don't show text in menu or in game - No idea why, possibly another .dll missing that I don't know about  ???
Takes a long time to reset game when hitting the retry button- Slightly annoying, but does little to ruin the game  =(
Always opens with Crash screen- Probably as a a result of how Wineskin closes the program  :-\
Please reply to the topic if you have any problems or questions.  :)

Ellipsis

• Ellipsis
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
    • If Not Equal Limited
Re: I Wanna be the Guy: Gaiden Mac Help
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 05:03:05 pm »

Thank you, I'm sure that will help some people.
Make sure you stick around on the forum a bit and feel free to post in some topics. There's lots of silly ones in "crap".
Finally:
Welcome to the forum!

Ma_Pignon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 05:07:05 pm »

Thank you very much  ;D I'll be sure to stick around a bit.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 06:16:11 pm by Ma_Pignon »

Xlator

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 12:27:50 am »

Many, many thanks for this. I suspected it would work with Wineskin, but was glad to find a guide. Works beautifully. It is to you (and Kayin of course :P) I owe the frustration and hatred I have accumulated over the last couple of hours. ;)

HOWEVER, as you rightly pointed out, downloading dlls from random websites is a :spikes: BAD :spikes: idea. Luckily, there's a little thing called winetricks that can get the dll straight from Microsoft with very little hassle!

So, in place of step 6, do the following:
1. Start your wrapper and click "Advanced".
2. Click on the "Tools" tab, and then click the top button in the middle column, labeled "Winetricks".
3. In the search bar (labeled "Search for packages") type mfc42.
4. Expand the "dlls" heading in the now filtered package list, and click the checkbox next to "mfc42". Click "Run".
5. Winetricks should now start downloading, extracting and installing the necessary MS libraries. This will take a while. When it is done, ("Winetricks Commands Finished!!"), click "Close".

You now have the necessary files in the correct place in your wrapper, virus and malware-free! Proceed from step 8 in the original guide.

I also had an issue with the controls dying on me after my second or third restart. I solved this by going to "Set Screen Options" in the "Config" tab (same place where you choose the .exe file to run), then "Use Mac Driver instead of X11" under "Other Options". (My setup is as follows: OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion, Wrapper: Wineskin 2.5.9, Engine: WS9Wine1.6-rc1x)

I'm looking into whether it is possible to get the fonts in the menu, achievements, on the level select screen etc. to render. I doubt it at this point, but I'm gonna keep trying for a bit longer. 

EDIT: Erm, yeah. That was stupidly simple. TL;DR - winetricks d3dx9_36

To get font rendering in IWBTG: Gaiden on Mac:
1. Right click (or Ctrl-click if you're still living in the one-button stone age) your wrapper, and "Show Package Contents".
2. Run the "Wineskin" app from here, choose "Advanced", then "Tools".
3. Click the button in the centre column, labeled "Winetricks".
4. Search for d3dx9_36, expand the "dlls" list and click the checkbox next to "d3dx9" (NOT directx9). Click Run.

Et voilĂ , fonts! :)

:fruit:
:kid:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 01:33:39 am by Xlator »

Ma_Pignon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 03:05:26 pm »

I am so glad you liked the guide and could add to it, I only used the website because I couldn't figure out the winetricks. Plus, many thanks for figuring out the fonts, it was bugging me that there was probably a simple solution that I just couldn't find. ;D
now back to getting killed by the spikes.  :P