I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Gaiden 1.2 patch released. Click here to download!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21

Author Topic: YoSniper's Fangame Contest 2014 *RESULTS*  (Read 72623 times)

Darkwraith Axl

• Returning with newfound humanity.
    • View Profile
Re: YoSniper's Fangame Contest *IT'S ON!!!*
« Reply #105 on: March 10, 2014, 05:01:27 pm »

I wish I was here earlier to get into the shitstorm, but it seems its already over.

But to address any concerns, judges will have to justify their picks for 1st - 5th place with reasoning, which I don't see anyone having an issue with. For example, I won't accept someone's vote for a certain character merely because that person is their friend. I expect all of my judges to list pros and cons for each game based on their own opinions.

Somehow I don't really expect a judge to give a friendship vote. And somehow, I actually think well-known gamemakers will have it tougher because of the expectations.
> This community: Elitists pieces of shit.
> That community: Retards without a lick of taste.
Pick your poison.

Valkema

• Anonly Asia O_O
  • The Guy
  • What. I'm busy right now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 10, 2014, 07:57:13 pm »

Yes, because I really want someone who is either A.) Inexperienced at fangames or B.) Not produced any quality content to judge the quality of these fangames that are being made. Makes little to no sense, but YoSniper opened the judges' panel up to anyone, so this is the reason why certain judges (see: All of them) are not incredibly experienced or well-known when it comes to playing OR creating fangames. It's not just a matter of "make a good fangame, you can be a judge." I'm fairly certain that there's a few individuals that are very experienced that have not actually produced content (or rarely produce content) that have good enough taste in fangames to really judge fairly.

All in all, it's great that he's hosting the contest and everyone is getting a chance to make some fangames - it really livens up the community. But the way in which these judges were picked is poor, that's that. Everyone is jumping on the tiny bits of this argument that don't really make much sense, only arguing the tiny bit of "you don't NEED to make a fangame to be a judge." Its clear that judges need should have in-depth knowledge and experience.
I understand Yosniper has basically ended the argument. This however is a response to someone with an incredibly ill informed opinion about something.

I can personally guarantee to you that making a good game is harder than deciding whether or not a game is good. I can also personally guarantee to you that I could explain in fine detail how the games made by the people who YOU think are qualified to judge this contest are(in my opinion) trash. I am going to tell you straight up, this is a FANGAME contest. The game that these creators are FANS of is IWBTG. If they have PLAYED IWBTG then they are QUALIFIED to judge a contest of it's FANGAMES! If someone reveals that they haven't played IWBTG they you are right they aren't credible enough to judge this contest but considering we are on a forum for IWBTG I'd say that's unlikely.

Now quit acting like you are some high and mighty fangame connoisseur because it just makes you look like a pretentious dumbass.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 08:04:16 pm by Valkama »

Fangame_Critic

• He's the hero IWBTG deserves, not the one it needs
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 10, 2014, 09:33:58 pm »

Yes, because I really want someone who is either A.) Inexperienced at fangames or B.) Not produced any quality content to judge the quality of these fangames that are being made. Makes little to no sense, but YoSniper opened the judges' panel up to anyone, so this is the reason why certain judges (see: All of them) are not incredibly experienced or well-known when it comes to playing OR creating fangames. It's not just a matter of "make a good fangame, you can be a judge." I'm fairly certain that there's a few individuals that are very experienced that have not actually produced content (or rarely produce content) that have good enough taste in fangames to really judge fairly.

All in all, it's great that he's hosting the contest and everyone is getting a chance to make some fangames - it really livens up the community. But the way in which these judges were picked is poor, that's that. Everyone is jumping on the tiny bits of this argument that don't really make much sense, only arguing the tiny bit of "you don't NEED to make a fangame to be a judge." Its clear that judges need should have in-depth knowledge and experience.
I understand Yosniper has basically ended the argument. This however is a response to someone with an incredibly ill informed opinion about something.

I can personally guarantee to you that making a good game is harder than deciding whether or not a game is good. I can also personally guarantee to you that I could explain in fine detail how the games made by the people who YOU think are qualified to judge this contest are(in my opinion) trash. I am going to tell you straight up, this is a FANGAME contest. The game that these creators are FANS of is IWBTG. If they have PLAYED IWBTG then they are QUALIFIED to judge a contest of it's FANGAMES! If someone reveals that they haven't played IWBTG they you are right they aren't credible enough to judge this contest but considering we are on a forum for IWBTG I'd say that's unlikely.

Now quit acting like you are some high and mighty fangame connoisseur because it just makes you look like a pretentious dumbass.

Your argument is so bad, it hurt to read. In fact, I had to take a break halfway through before I got to the end of your post. Let's break this apart piece by piece, shall we?

"I can personally guarantee to you that making a good game is harder than deciding whether or not a game is good."

I never said anything of the sort, and yes of course making a good game is much harder than deciding whether or not its good. That's common sense, bud.

"I can also personally guarantee to you that I could explain in fine detail how the games made by the people who YOU think are qualified to judge this contest are(in my opinion) trash."

Really now? Sephalos and Cheese are trash? Please, inform me more. I must be a complete dunce for recognizing talent in a terrible fangame community.

"I am going to tell you straight up, this is a FANGAME contest. The game that these creators are FANS of is IWBTG."

Congrats, you can read.

"If they have PLAYED IWBTG then they are QUALIFIED to judge a contest of it's FANGAMES!"

Using this logic, if I really like eating pizza, then I can be a judge for a pizza contest that offers a large cash prize? No. I can become a critic or reviewer, but not a judge. A judge is qualified. Just because you experienced an event doesn't make you qualified to judge it. I can swim in a pool and then judge synchronized swimming? No.

"If someone reveals that they haven't played IWBTG they you are right they aren't credible enough to judge this contest but considering we are on a forum for IWBTG I'd say that's unlikely."

If ANYONE on that panel hasn't played IWBTG, I'd be shocked as well. But this isn't about IWBTG, its about the various fangames that surround it. These fangames are so different from the original game its amazing. But playing IWBTG, as stated, should not qualify you AT ALL for judging others' games. This does NOT imply that you need to create a "good" fangame to be qualified - you could simply be a well-respected and/or experienced IWBTG fangame player.

"Now quit acting like you are some high and mighty fangame connoisseur because it just makes you look like a pretentious dumbass."

Yes, because that's the best way to really let the forums know that you argued some well thought-out points is to insult the other side of the argument with some really terrible insults. You gave your argument little thought and went directly on the attack. Grow up. I'm glad you can "personally guarantee" me all sorts of things. Now personally guarantee me that you won't post on these forums, to avoid the terrible quality of your posts.
Micdrop.

infern0man1

• Unrevoked
  • It's been revoked.
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #108 on: March 10, 2014, 09:58:27 pm »

Omg shut up about this. We all have our opinions about things. There isnt a point in arguing over it. Yes, some of the judges (including me) haven't really made a decent fangame. It doesnt take away from the fact that we are still able to judge. And it is Yosniper's contest, he can do whatever the hell he wants with it.

So please. It's alright to judge the way we do things. Just leave them be, and let them do what they want.

Valkema

• Anonly Asia O_O
  • The Guy
  • What. I'm busy right now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 10, 2014, 10:26:09 pm »

Edit: Fuck it I've been here long enough to know where this goes. I'm just going to stop derailing here.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 11:04:45 pm by Valkama »

Darkwraith Axl

• Returning with newfound humanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 11, 2014, 04:19:51 am »

Edit: Fuck it I've been here long enough to know where this goes. I'm just going to stop derailing here.

It was a good post tho. Sadly I didn't save it.
> This community: Elitists pieces of shit.
> That community: Retards without a lick of taste.
Pick your poison.

AlextheTroller

• Live streaming like a BOSS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 11, 2014, 10:48:43 am »

Omg shut up about this. We all have our opinions about things. There isnt a point in arguing over it. Yes, some of the judges (including me) haven't really made a decent fangame. It doesnt take away from the fact that we are still able to judge. And it is Yosniper's contest, he can do whatever the hell he wants with it.

So please. It's alright to judge the way we do things. Just leave them be, and let them do what they want.

Agreed.. it dosent matter if the player didnt make a game he cant be on the contest, if someone experienced and knows what a fangame is then there's a reason to be a judge so pls.. dont fight for this shite!  9_9
Share some HYPE over here --> http://www.twitch.tv/alexthetroller

Evan20000

• Nuke 'em
  • Administrator
  • The Guy
  • Forum Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 11, 2014, 04:05:07 pm »

I'm ending this now. If civil conversation is not possible, infractions will be handed out if this persists beyond this post.

Your videos could just be you in a Nazi outfit, shitting into a bucket while doing the can-can and they'd already be miles ahead of Pewdiepie.

YoSniper

• Code blooded. Check it and see.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #113 on: March 21, 2014, 04:27:56 pm »

Hey all contestants!

I encourage all of you to post progress reports on your games every now and again. I want you all to get as much feedback as you can during these three months (one of which is almost over.)

I am happy to host this contest, and I hope you all are having fun making your games!
I don't traverse the forums as much anymore. Follow me on Twitter if you want to keep tabs on me!

Twitter: @YoSniperGames
Twitch: yosniper

Streams happen whenever I feel like it.

renhoex

• View Profile

subfusc_moose

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 26, 2014, 05:16:10 pm »

To be honest, I think the biggest concern is that some of the judges aren't skilled enough to beat the games they are given to judge. How much time are they given to play all 20 games? Is the game being too hard for someone a bad thing? Is a judge even eligible to judge, if (s)he can't beat the game? I bet some of the judges aren't even aware of the thousands of fangames out there, only the ones posted on this forum, of which most are fairly easy. I hope I'm wrong with all this, but seriously, it would be a bummer if a game gets minus points for being harder than your average fangame. After all, these games are meant to be hard, but enjoyable at the same time.

I hope you make the judges write at least a short review of each game, and a larger one for the top 3 or so. At least that much should be expected for everyone to be able to do.

In the end, this is your contest and you keep it the way you want it to be. The amount of negative feedback given by the die hard guy fans is understandable, but after all, this isn't a "professional" contest even though there is money involved. I think this will end up being a good lesson showing what shouldn't have been done and what could be improved in the future. Maybe the next contest(s) will end up pleasing the vast majority of guy game fans.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 05:18:24 pm by subfusc_moose »

YoSniper

• View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #116 on: March 26, 2014, 05:38:51 pm »

To be honest, I think the biggest concern is that some of the judges aren't skilled enough to beat the games they are given to judge. How much time are they given to play all 20 games? Is the game being too hard for someone a bad thing? Is a judge even eligible to judge, if (s)he can't beat the game? I bet some of the judges aren't even aware of the thousands of fangames out there, only the ones posted on this forum, of which most are fairly easy. I hope I'm wrong with all this, but seriously, it would be a bummer if a game gets minus points for being harder than your average fangame. After all, these games are meant to be hard, but enjoyable at the same time.

I hope you make the judges write at least a short review of each game, and a larger one for the top 3 or so. At least that much should be expected for everyone to be able to do.

In the end, this is your contest and you keep it the way you want it to be. The amount of negative feedback given by the die hard guy fans is understandable, but after all, this isn't a "professional" contest even though there is money involved. I think this will end up being a good lesson showing what shouldn't have been done and what could be improved in the future. Maybe the next contest(s) will end up pleasing the vast majority of guy game fans.
The deadline for submission is June 1st, but the time for all of the judges to play and rate all of the games after that date may take as long as another month. While I would like all of the judges to be done within a few weeks, I don't want to rush it so much that people simply give up on games without giving them a fair chance.

I have set up a wiki for all judges to congregate, so we can all voice our concerns if we think we don't have enough time, for example. We will also be discussing the games at length there, so there should at least be a general consensus for any given game (i.e. differing opinions shouldn't be too drastically different for any particular game.)

And yes, depending on how well this contest goes, I will host future contests. Rules will evolve, and the panel of judges will change.
I don't traverse the forums as much anymore. Follow me on Twitter if you want to keep tabs on me!

Kellion

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 29, 2014, 09:22:57 am »

FUN, is coming :)

I wanna be the Boss Hunter 0.2.2 underway

Criticism... Please  ;D

Thread: http://kayin.pyoko.org/iwbtg/forums/index.php?topic=18501.0

Storyyeller

• The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 31, 2014, 11:58:47 am »

Hey all contestants!

I encourage all of you to post progress reports on your games every now and again. I want you all to get as much feedback as you can during these three months (one of which is almost over.)

Progress? I've started thinking about the design for my game.

Edit: Wait, you have to register in advance to compete? So much for that.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 12:02:08 pm by Storyyeller »

YoSniper

• View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #119 on: March 31, 2014, 12:25:19 pm »

Hey all contestants!

Progress? I've started thinking about the design for my game.

Edit: Wait, you have to register in advance to compete? So much for that.
Yeah, that's how I did it this year. If this contest goes well, I won't require pre-registration in the future.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21