I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Chat button has been eaten. Click here to join in the idling fun!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Civil Anti-spambot Vigilante Association  (Read 6279 times)

Miracle

• Guy, did you murder Rita?
    • View Profile
Re: Civil Anti-spambot Vigilante Association
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 11:17:02 am »

I'm going to point out that the ONLY person who ever contacted me about spambot removal was Infernoman.

I'm also going to point out that all the mods/admins are either in college or work now; do you really expect any of us to donate time deleting largely benign entities on a whim?
Ive personally just been hitting the report annignore button each bot I find, but Im not sure, does that alert you or just a waste of time? And no, Im not trying to say anything bad about the current admins, just that they are busy, and Miracle and I were just offering to be of assistance, if said assistance is even wanted.

FYI, I pretty much NEVER get those reported posts into my inbox.  I used too (it was rarely used back then), but if anyone's been reporting them, I haven't seen them.  Going to the spambot thread would be the better choice.  I've cleaned up anything I found; there's likely more I haven't noticed.

It's the implication that pisses me off more than anything; we're NOT available at all times to do whatever the people want.  It has never been that way, and it is NOT going to be that way anytime soon.  It neither means we won't do our job nor that we don't listen; what it DOES mean is that some things may go unanswered for a period of time that those who want them are not going to be happy with.
Do you agree with Phaneron's statement that the forums would be better with a new moderator?

Well, I don't know about you, but I'm sure getting tired of that lil' shit, shitting on the General board.

sans

• Lurks IWBTF 24/7
  • man. isn't my brother cool?
    • View Profile
    • Luigi Floating On An Egg Over A Sea
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 11:31:32 am »

Here's my two cents on the situation:

I'd say that yesterday was more of a fluke occurrence than anything, due to Kayin temporarily doing updates to the forums. As a result of him performing updates, it seems that all of the mods he had put into place got turned off. Yes, our admins and mods may not be absolutely active 100% of the time here, but if something of this magnitude happened again, there are plenty of us that are on here that can get a hold of someone to fix it. Hell, I tweeted Kayin yesterday after having noticed the spambots and he got on the case and fixed most of the issues in a half-hour.

Outside of that, there really haven't been any big things happening here that would require someone to step in and moderate. Being that I'm practically on all the time, I can back up that Rag is on if not daily than every other day, so we do have someone to take care of something if it's absolutely needed. And in the event that he isn't, there's quite a few people here that have him/others on Skype so we can PM him/them if it's absolutely needed.

I'm not sure that mandating a new admin/mod or forcing them to be more of a presence is what's needed in this case. As long as we can get a hold of one of them in some way once something big is happening, then why change the system that seems to be working?

EDIT: Seems like Kayin's anti-spambot questions got removed from the registration page, so I shot him another tweet about it.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 12:04:59 pm by MkidTrigun »
MkidTrigun is and idiot for not recognizing the fact that Venser has edited this quote.

Kayin

• Well.. They're more like giant cherries...
  • Administrator
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 04:13:06 pm »

When a leak springs on a pipe, you fix the pipe. You don't fortify the whole house against waterdamage.

This is a leak and it might take a bit for it to get locked down (though it might be locked down already) and suddenly assigning mods for that would be excessive. I'm barely around so I can't comment on whether the forums need more or less moderation, but I can say pretty safely that making mode mods because of this situation would be silly.

Berry Punch

• Kitty's BFF
  • 40 proof noggererer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2014, 05:04:57 pm »

When a leak springs on a pipe, you fix the pipe. You don't fortify the whole house against waterdamage.

This is a leak and it might take a bit for it to get locked down (though it might be locked down already) and suddenly assigning mods for that would be excessive. I'm barely around so I can't comment on whether the forums need more or less moderation, but I can say pretty safely that making mode mods because of this situation would be silly.
I get the feeling that this is the case as well. One time thing, should be done by now. If you want to fortify the rest of the forums, just make every forum board require some initial amount of posts (1, where you can get that by posting in the Introduce Yourself! topic).

Moderation amount seems fine, no need to change what isn't broken.
Download this [ABANDONED] shit that nobody cares about: I wanna be PHAT!

Dagnarok

• Neutral Good Moderator
  • Administrator
  • The Guy
  • Commander of the USP Talon
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2014, 07:49:19 pm »

Cleaned house on a few stray spambot posts.  Also, referencing this here:

Kayin updated to the latest version of SMF (1.1.19).
I don't think he's ever updated before so it was quite a surprise to me.
It's very good from a security point of view though as there were many known ways to make yourself admin before the update (although surprisingly no one ever did!).
We have a lot more spam bots now though which is strange as we still have questions and captchas on sign up.
I can only really assume that more spam bots have been made for this version and so it's really just the addition of "Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2006-2008, Simple Machines" at the bottom of the page that is triggering them. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we could stop most of them just by removing this. It's probably worth trying anyway.
If anyone wants to remove it then the part you want to edit is in /Themes/default/languages/index.english.php on line #413 and #414.
Change it from:
$forum_copyright = '<a href="http://www.simplemachines.org/" title="Simple Machines Forum" target="_blank">Powered by ' . $forum_version . '</a> |
<a href="http://www.simplemachines.org/about/copyright.php" title="Free Forum Software" target="_blank">SMF &copy; 2013, Simple Machines</a>';

to:
$forum_copyright = '<a href="http://www.simplemachines.org/" title="Simple Machines Forum" target="_blank">Powered by ' . 'SMF' . '</a> |
<a href="http://www.simplemachines.org/about/copyright.php" title="Free Forum Software" target="_blank">SMF &copy; 2013, Simple Machines</a>';

This way spambots shouldn't be able to work out what version we have. You can remove that it's SMF entirely by changing it to $forum_copyright = ''; instead but I'm not sure if this would violate their copyright. Removing the version however is not an issue (or even change it to be the same as the old version we had to really confuse people).
Quote from: Tilyami
Shuu is like the monkey's paw if the monkey's paw was a partridge.

Kayin

• Well.. They're more like giant cherries...
  • Administrator
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2014, 02:24:41 am »

I just got the anti spam questions working again so we'll probably be fine. This isn't the first upgrade, but it's ... been awhile. Anyways to the mods tracking down spammers, if there continues to be an abnormal amount of spam, let me know. Maybe I'll try that copyright change or something.

Kloud

• PRO
  • The Guy
  • I hate myself
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2014, 06:33:37 pm »

...and the peace is restored! IF I catch any spambot posts, ill just out them in the spambotthread I guess instead of hitting the report button, based on what Dag said. I just figured if help was at all needed Miracle and I were willing to help out, but everything seems under control now 8) Thank you, Dayin! All hail the king!

Ellipsis

• Ellipsis
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
    • If Not Equal Limited
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2014, 12:28:24 pm »

I'm glad to see that the spam seems to be gone again now.
Thank you Kayin.

Of course other than all these posts I'm making at the moment. Sorry about that...

LOLGAMMER

• aka lolgamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2016, 06:14:58 am »

FUCK
Pages: 1 [2]