I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Chat button has been eaten. Click here to join in the idling fun!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: LEAGUE OF LEGENDS  (Read 11434 times)

Silver

• Herd Leader
  • The Guy
  • Inifinty - so far away yet around us at all times.
    • View Profile
    • DarkLiteEntertainment
Re: LEAGUE OF LEGENDS
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2014, 12:51:22 am »

Indeed. My summoner name is Endstep. Which can actually be seen in the OP.

TEACH ME MASTER
WHAT DO YOU WANT TO KNOW?

All. How to not be bad, I guess. I can't even top, like, at all, and I can only play like 7 champs.
Because pickles.

Venser

• Gloved Modulator
  • Godmin
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2014, 01:03:00 am »

How many champions you know how to play doesn't matter all that much if all you're interested in is getting better. There's quite a few players in Challenger or Diamond 1 that only know how to play one or two champions competently  - and humorously enough, those "one trick ponies" are actually highly sought after in Korea because they often turn out to be extraordinary players with a bit of coaching.

Sure, it helps to have a broad champion pool, but you don't need one. I've played a grand total of three different champions in my last 20 ranked games (Eve, Ryze, Thresh) and done quite well for myself.

But I suppose that's a bit of digression. The best way to get better at the game is by playing with the mindset that losing is entirely on you, and you could always have carried harder. This makes it so that there are no excuses for losing. Realistically, that's not always true (particularly in higher elo), but if you want to improve then placing blame on anyone but yourself does nothing for you. Every mistake you make is critical, and you can't do anything about your team's mistakes anyway.

One thing that really helped a couple guys I know get a lot better was every time they died, they'd use /note to make a quick summary of why they died. After the game, they'd go over their own mistakes and write them down in the note file (the /note thing writes the message into a text file somewhere in the League folder, I don't know where), and then read those notes over before other games and during champ select. Recognizing your mistakes like that can really help cut down on the number you make (especially if you keep making the same types of mistakes).

Personally, I found that having people watch me playing was pretty helpful to getting better, since I was constantly trying to explain what was happening and why things were happening that way, which really helped me avoid things like overextending (I would actually be noting where their jungler was and so on to explain relative lane positions). I noticed after they left one time (this was at school where I'm the best player on campus so watching me is a thing people do) that I didn't actually need them to be there to be constantly explaining myself, and even though it feels kind of weird just talking to an empty room, I feel like I played better while doing it and definitely improved faster.
Ybbald: I read that as "deadly venser"
Ybbald: and I was like
Ybbald: "when is venser NOT deadly?"

Arkhanno: We'll have to out-source to the US. I know of a great doctor with lifeguard training that can do anything with a 90% success rate

Evan20k: Sherlock Holmes didn't have 5 arms and 6 penises and lifeguard training

Silver

• Herd Leader
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
    • DarkLiteEntertainment
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2014, 01:06:57 am »

I feel that not knowing champs makes things incredibly difficult considering how obsessed everyone seems to be with team composition. I have a difficult time keeping team comp in mind and not knowing the enemy champs and how they play has often led to me dying.

My issue is that sometimes I die and I don't know what I did wrong. A lot of the time it is my fault but sometimes I have no idea what I should have done differently
Because pickles.

Venser

• Gloved Modulator
  • Godmin
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2014, 01:15:43 am »

Don't worry about team composition. If your team is displeased with your choice, well, that's unfortunate but you can always mute them and move on. Team comp really only matters at higher elo (I would say plat and up), and even then it is definitely inferior to having a solid understanding of your champion.

If you really have to worry about the comp, just pick up champions that work fine in all comps like Ziggs, Thresh, Orianna, Morgana, Lee Sin, Elise, Irelia, etc. But trust me, the comp really doesn't matter.

My issue is that sometimes I die and I don't know what I did wrong. A lot of the time it is my fault but sometimes I have no idea what I should have done differently
Hm. An interesting problem. Maybe you could record your games and rewatch them to see what went wrong and what went right? I did that for a while and it seemed to help. It's somewhat time-consuming, though. I guess knowing why you died is something that comes with a lot of games played.

Either way, if you die the same way twice, you should definitely be trying something different. Even if you don't know exactly why you died, you could still note something down like "died to flash panth gank trying to finish off malz" or something like that. Then next time you noted "died to flash panth gank while just farming" or whatever, you'd realize you have to ward against Pantheon in midlane especially when his flash is up.

The extrapolation might be a little difficult, but understanding your mistakes is the key to fixing them.

Arkhanno: We'll have to out-source to the US. I know of a great doctor with lifeguard training that can do anything with a 90% success rate

Evan20k: Sherlock Holmes didn't have 5 arms and 6 penises and lifeguard training

Silver

• Herd Leader
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
    • DarkLiteEntertainment
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2014, 01:22:49 am »

My main is Ziggs so that works just fine. Although I play none of those other champs haha.

And yeah, I feel I should fix the problems I can see easily first, then move on to the random shiz that ends up killing me.
Because pickles.

Venser

• Gloved Modulator
  • Godmin
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2014, 01:28:36 am »

There are plenty of generalist champions that go well in all (or most) compositions. The ones I named are just the ones I thought of off the top of my head that are popular choices right now - there are many others. I suppose there aren't that many options for toplane or adc that fit those requirements, but other than that every position has plenty.

Fixing the mistakes you understand first definitely makes sense, though. Once you do that you'll be better - hopefully enough better that you'll be able to understand more of your mistakes!

null

• pls come back
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2014, 08:19:45 am »

One thing that really helped a couple guys I know get a lot better was every time they died, they'd use /note to make a quick summary of why they died. After the game, they'd go over their own mistakes and write them down in the note file (the /note thing writes the message into a text file somewhere in the League folder, I don't know where), and then read those notes over before other games and during champ select.
Wow I totally forgot about the /note thing. For some reason I thought they removed it patches and patches ago.
Thanks for reminding me, I'm definitely going to start using it.

Anyway, I'm loving the new Nidalee. She's arguably much more fun than the original.
Before the rework you just throw random spears from a safe distance and whenever someone gets near you, you're almost guaranteed to escape with Pounce spam/running through bushes.
With the rework however, you'll be shapeshifting all the time, taking risks to get close to assassinate a squishy unfortunate once you mark them as hunted. Although the values may be a bit too high at the moment as I was able to pretty much kill, well, pretty much everything I see. But that could just be me leaping at everyone without even thinking that I'll die soon after. That's how I roll normals, I guess, heh.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 09:06:04 am by null »
Join the official IWBTF discord server! https://discord.me/iwbtg
Quote from: Yb
That was fucking obnoxious

Currently working on an android game inspired by IWBTG.

Venser

• Gloved Modulator
  • Godmin
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2014, 11:30:19 pm »

New nid is pretty fun. Her numbers right now do seem a tad ridiculous but at the same time there are still matchups you can't win, and the matchup is everything since her teamfight is mediocre at best. Old nid was super lame to play against, at least new nid isn't ridiculously oppressive like the spear-chucking machine from hell.

I haven't gotten enough games in on her to really see what's going on, but that's mostly because I'm not that interested in playing top more in normals since it's like 70% of what I play in ranked.

If you want to see me get smashed in ranked by RobertxLee (a pro league player), here's the vod from Robert's stream:

http://www.twitch.tv/robertxlee/b/545348422?t=83m30s

I'm the Thresh.

null

• pls come back
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2014, 08:42:44 pm »

That was an interesting watch. Wish I could improve on my supporting skills as that's my weakest role.

Anyway I like the new match history thing. I had a really interesting game a minute ago, just look at this.
The team gold graph makes me laugh so hard.

Venser

• Gloved Modulator
  • Godmin
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2014, 10:20:24 pm »

I have a similar game from ranked a couple days ago (here). The 8k gold comebacks are kind of absurd, but they can happen...even in Diamond, as my game shows.

Learning how to support isn't too difficult. It's mostly a matter of laning and vision control, lacking most of the mechanical needs of the other roles. Learning how to peel effectively is useful too, but if you can learn support laning phases well and have your vision control down, you'll be pretty set.

EDIT: Here is a good example of why you should ban Kassadin. Notice that we have no smite, because both Fiddle and Thresh thought they were support. Instead, our smiteless man-thresh-beast jungled (with relic shield at level 1) and just went to lanes and relic'd stuff during or after ganks. He donated buffs to me very early, putting himself incredibly far behind but one behind jungler is worth having a Kassadin very far ahead. I crushed the game.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 02:37:46 pm by Venser »

null

• pls come back
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2014, 08:16:31 pm »

The comebacks should be a bit weaker since the last patch due to the lowered gold gain for stopping streaks. I guess games like those will still happen, although a bit less.

The biggest problem with me and supporting is it's uniqueness. It's a vastly different role from all other roles. I made a big mistake of pushing it aside, never ever wanting to support because I always thought it's dull, boring and not fun. So now, after having more than ~3500 total games played, only picking a support when I was forced to, it's a bit difficult to get into it, now that I really want to and need to. When I support, I often forget that I'm supporting. I brainfart and straight dive into a 1v1 with an enemy adc, I often just randomly start farming minions, and most importantly I fail to keep warding during the late game.

Anyway Kassadin is still strong. Hell, any champion in right hands is strong (remember the pre-rework Eve? There was still a small chunk of playerbase who enjoyed playing her and were successful, myself included).
Before the rework he was close to 90% ban rate in draft - they've made him playable now, and honestly, I like the changes. He can still interrupt channels which is a pretty cool utility, much less toxic than a low cooldown silence but still pretty useful if used correctly.
The smiteless-man-thresh-beast jungler sure is impressive.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 10:48:26 pm by null »

Venser

• Gloved Modulator
  • Godmin
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2014, 12:56:05 am »

Having played a couple of Kassadin games on the new patch, my opinion is that he's still broken. His laning phase is a little worse (you can't max W against melees like you could before thanks to the cooldown changes) and his lategame is a little worse thanks to the slow nerf, but he's still the riftwalking god that he has been for years.

On Lucian, I certainly think he's a lot more fun, but I'm not sure if he's really that great anymore. 500 is really short for botlane and I felt like I was fighting an uphill battle in every trade. In actual 2v2 or 3v3 brawls he's very strong, but his laning phase is significantly worse than it was. I could see him going top or mid (in some matchups) in the future with these changes, but I'm no expert on carries so it's possible I'm missing something.

The rest of the changes seem pretty minor overall, although Alistar seems like he's actually a legitimate support in more matchups than just Leona now. Ardent Censer is still shit, and I'm skeptical of Essence Reaver even after the changes.

On supporting, I would say that in days past, supporting was very boring - once they eliminated the roaming support strat from being viable (which was understandable, considering how lame it is to play against), the support was just a wardbot with some responsibility for laning in the first ten minutes. That was it. After fifteen minutes, you could just pack up and write a script to buy wards, place them in the correct places, and peel for your carry. Season 3 improved things a small amount early on but then League of Assassins became the meta and supports were the prey of choice.

Season 4 really made support a legitimately interesting role, since you have money to spend and you're a real member of your team even in the lategame.

When I support, I often forget that I'm supporting. I brainfart and straight dive into a 1v1 with an enemy adc, I often just randomly start farming minions, and most importantly I fail to keep warding during the late game.

Well, with the right support, you can 1v1 the enemy carry...Annie and Zyra stand out here. These problems are, on the whole, pretty easy to fix and not big by any stretch of the imagination.

null

• pls come back
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2014, 08:41:59 pm »

Kassadin's kit is broken. Until they completely overhaul his kit, he'll be broken. If they tune the values down, he'll be weak, if they increase the values, he'll be super stronk. At the moment, we could say that he's the most balanced he could be.

On the topic of Lucian...

Essence Reaver in overall is a interesting item, although I'm not sure why it's in the game. As far as I remember, the "infinite sustain" problem was quite toxic back in the day. It was the reason they left Udyr weak during the first few seasons, his turtle stance used to recover mana and health on hit. They couldn't buff his other stances until they removed that. They couldn't buff Soraka while she had the self-mana-restore. So basically Riot's giving everyone a self-mana-restore-item. I'm a bit confused by that choice but whatever.

Supporting, hell yeah it was boring. I did a bit of supporting when Season 4 came out, it was much more interesting, although I was still not digging it. I just need to learn it from scratch. I mean, mechanically speaking, I'm alright. I can land hooks, grabs, snares, time (spell)shields and baitheals and all that fancy stuff with no problem, I'm just completely lost after the 20 minute mark. I often have no idea what to do next, where to go and who to help.
In a few days I'm gonna start playing supports only and see if I can improve.

Anyway, doom bots. It finally went live and man is it fun. I really like the unfairness of it. Although I don't like it when people rage and leave the game, which may or may not have happened to me twice in a row eh. But that's to be expected I guess.
gg easy

Venser

• Gloved Modulator
  • Godmin
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2014, 01:30:19 am »

Kassadin's kit is broken. Until they completely overhaul his kit, he'll be broken. If they tune the values down, he'll be weak, if they increase the values, he'll be super stronk. At the moment, we could say that he's the most balanced he could be.
I don't think that's necessarily true; I think the problem is that his kit combines strong burst with Riftwalk. If they increased the damage on the W passive and decreased his overall ratios that he could apply instantly, he would be significantly more reasonable. The problem is that combining burst and massive mobility (and also the large cc on Force Pulse) is too hard to deal with.

The "infinite sustain" issue is only a problem without items; even before Essence Reaver, you could have lifesteal for infinite sustain. Some champions don't need to use mana to lane and lifesteal is enough for them to stay out forever (Riven, spellvamp Kennen, Yasuo, etc.); why shouldn't mana-intensive champions have an item that allows them to do similarly (with an appropriate drop in item efficiency)?

Either way, none of the sustain meta champions are effective users of Essence Reaver anyways. Irelia, Vlad, Olaf, Kennen, Sona, Jax, Cho'Gath, Malphite, etc.; you're not going to find one of the champions of those days effectively using the item because of its horrid inefficiency (and odd combination of stats). It's clearly an item designed for AD casters and caster adcs, who weren't a part of the meta those days (other than Riven, for a short time, but she lacks mana anyway).

Doom bots is pretty cool, I haven't had the issue of people leaving. It's definitely a mode that gets old very fast, but it is fun while it lasts.

Silver

• Herd Leader
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
    • DarkLiteEntertainment
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2014, 04:53:59 am »

So I've now gone from Silver V to Bronze III. I hate everything.
Because pickles.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4