I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Chat button has been eaten. Click here to join in the idling fun!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: "Best" Boss  (Read 16029 times)

IammeoramI

• I like peanuts... allot.
    • View Profile
Re: "Best" Boss
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2007, 11:24:13 pm »

Tyson; so far being he was the most movable boss.

JohnAnon

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2007, 01:35:56 am »

Most fun: Dracula
Most epic: Mecha Birdo
Most WTF YOU CAN'T DO A FATAL KO IN A STREET FIGHTER GAME: Giant Zangief

Kayin

• Well.. They're more like giant cherries...
  • Administrator
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2007, 05:32:45 am »

Thats what the kid gets for not having any stars.

David

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2007, 11:23:35 pm »

I thought the way Tyson just appeared through the sky was absolutely classic.

finale

• Mind over matter. Personified.
    • View Profile
    • my work number
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2007, 03:21:43 am »

Tyson's appearance was awesome. Although I haven't played against any but CC and Tyson, I've seen all but Dracula online(I suck that way, yes) And I do love em all. Zangief seems really static, though, and Mother Brain's lack of surprises was a bit of a letdown. Oh man, I hope Drac has an unfair second form, and it would be cool if it started by trying to telefrag you...

Tristan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2007, 03:29:23 am »

I liked Mecha Birdo.  The music is just totally bacon.  I luff it.

Xylon Lionheart

• Maieusiophilia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2007, 01:12:06 pm »

Tyson's appearance was awesome. Although I haven't played against any but CC and Tyson, I've seen all but Dracula online(I suck that way, yes) And I do love em all. Zangief seems really static, though, and Mother Brain's lack of surprises was a bit of a letdown. Oh man, I hope Drac has an unfair second form, and it would be cool if it started by trying to telefrag you...

My guess is that the first way you'll die against Dracula will make you laugh and cry.

finale

• View Profile
    • my work number
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2007, 11:14:39 pm »

I heard of that one already, but I was just fondly remembering dying oh-so-many times to drac in Super CV IV, not due to his attacks, but because he'd appear on top of me.

watkins

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2007, 12:15:41 am »

Though this comment is only tangentially related to the topic, I found Dracula to be the worst boss (besides Zangief, perhaps, whose brokeness makes him a mere inconvenience).

The joy of most of the game is being presented with challenges that, at first glance, seem maddeningly difficult; and then, after some persistent trial and error, finding apparent impossibilities to be reliably conquerable.  With Dracula, however, victory seemed to depend more on waiting for Dracula to use the right attacks to allow you to destroy him.  While I'm sure that devoted players that gather here have little problem dealing with any attack thrown at them, most players will find that some attacks are much more likely to kill them than others.  If you play Dracula enough times, he will eventually use enough of his useless attacks in a row to allow you to dispatch him in relative safety.

Because there's so much luck involved, it feels like much less of an accomplishment to beat Dracula.  (Which is ironic, since he's much harder than Tyson, Clown Copter, Birdo, or Zangief.)

Xylon Lionheart

• Maieusiophilia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2007, 02:42:53 pm »

Though this comment is only tangentially related to the topic, I found Dracula to be the worst boss (besides Zangief, perhaps, whose brokeness makes him a mere inconvenience).

The joy of most of the game is being presented with challenges that, at first glance, seem maddeningly difficult; and then, after some persistent trial and error, finding apparent impossibilities to be reliably conquerable.  With Dracula, however, victory seemed to depend more on waiting for Dracula to use the right attacks to allow you to destroy him.  While I'm sure that devoted players that gather here have little problem dealing with any attack thrown at them, most players will find that some attacks are much more likely to kill them than others.  If you play Dracula enough times, he will eventually use enough of his useless attacks in a row to allow you to dispatch him in relative safety.

Because there's so much luck involved, it feels like much less of an accomplishment to beat Dracula.  (Which is ironic, since he's much harder than Tyson, Clown Copter, Birdo, or Zangief.)

Yes, it is possible to get very lucky in terms of Dracula.  However the chances of you getting worthless attacks the entire time are relatively slim, not to mention the homing blobs of death add even more challenge to the second part of the fight.  If you can only beat Dracula by getting lucky, then shame on you for not learning how to adapt.  You probably wasted a lot more time waiting for an opportune battle than it would take to just learn how to dodge the hard attacks.  I personally love the Dracula fight for the very reason you hate it: you have no idea what to expect each time.  Out of all the bosses that you fight, Dracula is the one that you need to be paying attention to the most.  Heaven forbid you can't adapt a clear-cut strategy like in most of the other fights.

That being said, my two other favorite bosses might be Birdo and Zangief (assuming you don't cheat on Zangief) because they switch it up as well.  Birdo's differences really just stems to when you beat each form and how that affects the lasers/warheads in the final two stages.  Zangief, on the other hand, does have some randomness to his first and second forms that you have to contend with if you don't cheat on him.

I have two suggestions on what to do with the bosses: 1. Make it so Zangief needs to take more shots in his first two forms.  2. To make one of Dracula's attacks not as worthless, make the falling flames land on the steps rather than the floor below.  I'd suggest making it so the swirling apple attack made the apples swirl in a way that doesn't have the same apples fly in a clear-cut line, but I'm sure that would be too hard/not possible.

Niku

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2007, 02:23:02 am »

Spoiler.

finale

• View Profile
    • my work number
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2007, 04:16:26 am »

Man, Niku, you can be such an ass sometimes. Self esteem issues?

Niku

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2007, 12:20:21 pm »

THE FORUM IS FRAUGHT WITH TRAPS

JUST LIKE THE GAME

watkins

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2007, 02:51:16 pm »

"You probably wasted a lot more time waiting for an opportune battle than it would take to just learn how to dodge the hard attacks.  I personally love the Dracula fight for the very reason you hate it: you have no idea what to expect each time.  Out of all the bosses that you fight, Dracula is the one that you need to be paying attention to the most.  Heaven forbid you can't adapt a clear-cut strategy like in most of the other fights."

I don't know where the probability calculation came from, but you're missing the point.  what I said was, "If you play Dracula enough times, he will eventually use enough of his useless attacks in a row to allow you to dispatch him in relative safety."  I didn't say anything about passively waiting for the correct sequence of attacks (whatever that would mean), or giving up when difficult attacks occur, or restarting until Dracula never uses certain attacks.  All I was saying was that Dracula's difficulty depends greatly on the sequence of attacks Dracula uses, and that easy sequences eventually occur, making it unnecessary to master Dracula the way the player must master other challenges.

Getting a favorable sequence of attacks from Dracula is something that occurs whether you're anticipating it or not, and it can happen without the player really appreciating that he/she has been cut a break.

Whether one should feel shame for not learning how to adapt is beside the point.  One doesn't have to learn to adapt to an attack sequence more difficult than the one he/she actually survives.  The hypothetical question of whether that player could have defeated a more difficult version of Dracula is irrelevant to the question of whether Dracula's widely varying difficulty is a flaw.

If defeating Dracula is a matter of personal pride, I suppose a player could continuously restart the battle until they feel that Dracula has been sufficiently difficult with them.  Most players, however, are more concerned with progressing through the game than supervising the enemy's strategy.  They will do their best to defeat Dracula every time they face him, and his difficulty will be different in each encounter.  Their eventual victories will depend on a mix of luck and skill.  I say that Dracula is the worst boss because luck plays too large a role in his battle.

Note that my objection had nothing to do with Dracula's use of different attacks; my point was not that Dracula needed to follow a particular sequence.  My objection was that Dracula's various attacks were not equally difficult to survive.  I don't agree that Dracula requires more attention than other bosses (none of his attacks are quick enough to take you by surprise), but that wasn't the basis for my complaint anyway.

Of course, I never said that I hated the Dracula.  I simply said that he was the second-to-worst boss. 

Makaris

• Worst Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Rock and ROLL. Get it? You will. Oh yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2007, 11:18:21 am »

Gotta say I agree with Watkins.  I'd like to see more of Dracula's attacks be harder to dodge.  Overall I wouldn't mind it if the overall battle was more difficult.  Only thing I'd like to see toned down would be when he throws several tracking attacks one after the other and you end up herded into the corner and he TP's right on top of you.  Feels like you got robbed.  Not a huge complaint, granted.

However, nerf the damn white bouncing ball thingies.  Those are a BITCH.  Everything could be 50% harder and I'd be okay with it if only those damn balls were more managable.  I die nearly everytime because they aren't frequent enough to learn, so it's always WTF when they come out.

I like how there is general inconsitency in what bosses people prefer.  There isn't one obvious "best" or "worst" boss.  Variety enough for everyones tastes (if you can get to them, that is).
:kid:This Signature is worth two The Guys :kid:
Pages: 1 [2] 3