I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Gaiden 1.2 patch released. Click here to download!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: YoSniper's Fangame Contest 2015 *RESULTS*  (Read 26420 times)

YoSniper

• Code blooded. Check it and see.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
YoSniper's Fangame Contest 2015 *RESULTS*
« on: December 05, 2014, 10:37:23 pm »

THE RESULTS ARE IN! I WILL BE POSTING LINKS TO THE RESULTS VIDEOS AS I UPLOAD THEM:

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORLC3R-q4fo
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILAo9McazeE
Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc-4TkSKylg
Part 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zStZDRZwC-U
Part 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OywdaIFId_M

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, it's official! YoSniper's Fangame Contest 2015 has kicked off!

No pre-registration is required this time around; just submit an entry if you want to participate.

RULES:

OVERALL DESIGN:
1) Any engine is acceptable (even no engine at all)
2) Games must have at a minimum ONE complete area and ONE boss, although more is usually better.
3) Games must be Windows 8 friendly. Abrupt crashes are BAD!!!

RESTRICTIVE:

4) A "God mode" option must be included in the game. This ensures that all judges will be able to play through each game in its entirety.

5) A README file must be included with your game submission. This will just explain in obvious terms how all of the rules are followed, how God mode can be activated, and any other important details.

INNOVATIVE:

6) At least two distinct gimmicks must be employed, NOT including the following:
- Double-jump restores
- Switching lasers
- Gravity switching
- Invisible/fake blocks
- Increased/decreased speed
- Increased/decreased gravity

7) Include at least one collectible item that serves some purpose (not just for the sake of being collected.)

ENTERTAINMENT:

8) Include a reference to either Primal Rage, Killer Instinct, or Mortal Kombat somewhere.

9) The randomly chosen word is "misogamy." Reference this word somehow somewhere in your game.

DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION IS JULY 1, 2015

PRIZES THIS YEAR ARE DEPENDENT UPON THE NUMBER OF QUALIFYING ENTRIES, SO THE MORE THE MERRIER!

GOOD LUCK TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATE. I WILL BE LOOKING FOR JUDGES AS THE DEADLINE APPROACHES.

PARTICIPANTS:
1. ValDenStudios - CONFIRMED
2. pieceofcheese87 - CONFIRMED
3. TheGamerGuy500 - CONFIRMED
4. zeapawak - CONFIRMED
5. WetWookie - CONFIRMED
6. RandomFangamer - CONFIRMED
7. HAEGOE - CONFIRMED
8. ChrisTheGuySlayer2002 - CONFIRMED
9. klazen108 - CONFIRMED
10. ShutUpNerd - CONFIRMED
11. spriter - CONFIRMED
12. Mr Wonderful - CONFIRMED
13. Derf & Katz - CONFIRMED

JUDGES:
1. YoSniper - VOTED
2. Jmab - VOTED
3. Raganoxer - VOTED
4. Kilgour22 - VOTED
5. Klaty - VOTED
6. Nat - VOTED
7. Paragus - VOTED
8. natedog2007 - VOTED
9. Starz0r - VOTED
10. Musto0063 - VOTED
11. cdmans - VOTED

The prize is a maximum value of 25.00 USD. The winner can redeem this in the form of Steam games, raw cash, or whatever means they wish. They can even waive the whole thing if they want (although that would probably piss off all of the other participants.)

All submitted games are here (except for PSIFT, by Derf's and Katz's request.)
http://www.mediafire.com/?0u72y6sym29385o
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 10:01:02 pm by YoSniper »
I don't traverse the forums as much anymore. Follow me on Twitter if you want to keep tabs on me!

Twitter: @YoSniperGames
Twitch: yosniper

Streams happen whenever I feel like it.

cheesymcgee87

• View Profile
Re: YoSniper's Fangame Contest 2015 *PRELIMINARY*
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 11:22:43 pm »

For the rules, i would say to get rid of the no mario rule, and the no jump refresher rule. Jump refreshers are an interesting gimmick and there's no reason to ban them just because a lot of fangames use them.

As for entertainment rules, I didn't like the ones from the last contest because they were dumb and everyone just kinda threw them in. You need to allow more flexibility other than "use this sound effect"
like for example "make a dinosaur themed level" and "include a puzzle". Although i'm not 100% against the stupid rules as long as they can be somewhat funny.

YoSniper

• View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 11:45:14 pm »

For the rules, i would say to get rid of the no mario rule, and the no jump refresher rule. Jump refreshers are an interesting gimmick and there's no reason to ban them just because a lot of fangames use them.

As for entertainment rules, I didn't like the ones from the last contest because they were dumb and everyone just kinda threw them in. You need to allow more flexibility other than "use this sound effect"
like for example "make a dinosaur themed level" and "include a puzzle". Although i'm not 100% against the stupid rules as long as they can be somewhat funny.

Like I said, I won't be banning any gimmicks outright. The "make a dinosaur themed level" rule might work, but the "include a puzzle" suggestion is too vague for my taste. Please be more specific.
I don't traverse the forums as much anymore. Follow me on Twitter if you want to keep tabs on me!

Katz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 02:25:46 am »

1. >inb4 bombing raid. I'd go from early June, until late August (or a said time-span of 'free time' people could work on fangames at a regular, homely pace). Some (including myself) could be less busy during this time period and work on their projects freely; you should probably stretch your idea of four months to five or six, at most.

2. A certain limit of shit you can implement on the screen in one room. If traps/enemies are extensively there to be part of the room, by all means. Entertainment is the prime of gaming, and a limit to the creativity that could actually intrigue the player might sound like a radical idea. Just suggesting a rule that prevents very intricate jumps, like this.

(btw would gladly participate, but can't work on a fangame due to the lack of a windows computer ++ life-stressing mishaps. I guess I'll wait next year, if another contest does happen.) Found a loop-hole and will participate.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 10:17:35 pm by Katz »
Join the official IWBTF discord server! https://discord.me/iwbtg

patrickgh

• very good poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 10:38:26 am »

Brainstorming a little here.

A lot of game jams, both competitive and non-competitive, have a theme that entries should support. The theme can provide inspiration for people's designs, and at the same time it doesn't smother people because it's not a strict requirement and it's okay to shoehorn it in. The theme also brings a sense of unity to the jam; when browsing through all the finished entries it's neat to see how many different takes people had on the same theme. Themes from Ludum Dare, one of the most famous jams, and one that I've participated in a few times and ranked highly if anyone wants to chat about that, are words or phrases that are open to interpretation but not overly vague, like Connected Worlds, You only get one, Minimalism, Evolution, Escape.

So yeah, those are the benefits of jam themes. I'm not sure if directly using this style of theme would work (it might), but I really like the sense of unity described earlier. Although, maybe that exact feeling is not achievable in an IWBTG game competition; it also could be that just being IWBTG games is unity enough. In fact, I kind of feel that the restriction of being an IWBTG game is enough to inspire creativity and stuff. But I do feel there might be room for something special here, a unique IWBTG game-twist on the theme idea.

Another part of the "charm" of game jams is their short time frame. Ludum Dare is 48 hours, some are 24 hours, some are 7 days. You can try out new ideas or techniques or anything, and not have to be committed to it for a long period of time if you don't like how it turns out, since the jam is so short. It takes the pressure off (in a way, ironically), and also makes it less of a commitment lowers the barrier of entry (I'm not sure exactly but were these reasons people dropped out of the last contest?) (Also, I'm not suggesting this short of a time frame for this contest, I'm just saying the benefits it has, but actually perhaps a one-month time frame would work.) The time limit is also a constraint which inspires creative workarounds and shortcuts, in a similar vein as hardware constraints especially in older systems. Actually, hm, maybe a constraint on the size of the game executable would be interesting. Or some other constraint of a similar nature, like only 100 objects allowed on the screen at once. I bet there are some neat ideas somewhere down this train of thought.

Also, as a general thought for the contest, and I'm not sure how much of this there was last time, but having a forum thread or maybe skype group or irc channel dedicated to showing WIP screenshots and builds and chatting about the contest, asking questions, getting feedback, etc. would be good to have. I wish you and everyone the best in making this contest great.

Katz, I got a little upset over your word choice of "sloppy design" for that picture in your second point. I understand and respect your overall point in that paragraph, as well as your and others' views on needle, it's just that wording that felt a bit insulting. I know you probably didn't meant it that way.

Valkema

• Anonly Asia O_O
  • The Guy
  • What. I'm busy right now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 12:44:25 pm »

Question 2: What do you think would make a good "entertainment rule" for the contest?
Most contests like these have a general theme that they want all submissions to contain. Retro theme, spooky theme, holiday theme are all things I've seen. They also tend to work out better.

Edit: Actually Patrick covers this better.

Sephalos

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 01:13:56 pm »

Agreed with Patrick.

Lemon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 12:02:01 am »

Just suggesting a rule that prevents sloppy design, like this.

K

Katz, I got a little upset over your word choice of "sloppy design" for that picture in your second point. I understand and respect your overall point in that paragraph, as well as your and others' views on needle, it's just that wording that felt a bit insulting. I know you probably didn't meant it that way.

@_@

I dunno

YoSniper

• View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 08:53:35 pm »

FYI, I've updated the OP to include the ideas I've read so far. But please continue pitching ideas.

Sephalos

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 09:15:33 pm »

Hmm I think the idea was to reduce the time frame rather than increase it. I personally have no interest in spending 6 months over a contest game.

Katz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 09:48:47 pm »

I just suggested it for a beneficial time-span whereas people can make the fan game at their own pace. It's more of a (time < quality) suggestion tbh, but just simply a suggestion.

Didn't mean to offend anyone with the post over that needle design example. I personally thought that fell in an intricate jump rule, but maybe I misworded that a tad. Haven't played that many needle games myself, so my opinion may be biased in others' point of view. No insults intended. Again, apologies
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 09:50:29 pm by Katz »
Join the official IWBTF discord server! https://discord.me/iwbtg

YoSniper

• View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 09:55:17 pm »

Just to address the whole needle game/object limitation suggestions, I'm going to reveal this much.

I intend to allow designers to make the levels as difficult and intricate as they want. They can use rooms full of spikes on top of spikes on top of cherries if they so desire (it won't earn them any brownie points with me personally, but I won't bar it outright.)

On the flip side of that freedom, I will require all games submitted to have a God mode option for us judges. That way, if nothing else, we will be guaranteed that we can all see the entirety of the game. We won't have to give anyone the benefit of the doubt on whether rules were or were not followed like last year, and this will eliminate the ambiguity of some of the rules.

Rules will be black and white, either you followed it or you didn't, and the only way games will get disqualified is if someone didn't read all of the rules (and there won't be that many,) or just outright ignored them.

cheesymcgee87

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 10:28:40 pm »

That seems like a fair rule. I myself wouldn't make a needle game but godmode would help for parts that are unbalanced/too hard for the testers. (like that randomly generating block thing in my last game)

patrickgh

• very good poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2014, 04:01:34 am »

I apologize for my strange comment about needles or something earlier, I was very tired and I regret saying it.

Just to address the whole needle game/object limitation suggestions

The "object limitations" suggestion was a purely technical "no more than X objects visible onscreen" restriction, not a difficulty / design guideline. Sorry for the confusion. An example of this is GBJam where games are required to have the same resolution as the game boy and only use a 4-color palette. I'm thinking now that this kind of restriction wouldn't be so good.

I agree with the god mode suggestion. Entries to jams or contests like these should have accessibility in mind, since they're meant to be played by everyone following the event, and you don't want to alienate too many people. Another idea would be to have more explicit difficulty / design guidelines (like Katz's intricate jumps / needle rule) for accesibility's sake; I think some might work but there's a definite danger of these being too stifling. This also might be a non-issue.

I think that having a theme, or some otherwise unifying mechanic, would bring the most benefit to the contest. Something that makes it feel special and like it has a purpose. I think this'll also draw more people to the event. Theoretically, if the contest placed extreme focus on feedback and critique of entries (possibly if entrants review all other entries, in addition to generous quality judges), I think people would enter to get feedback on their stuff, and it would make the experience less generic and more meaningful and unique.

An example of a unique take on a jam is Experiment 12. 12 indie devs each made games in 72 hours, telephone style: they looked at the games the previous people made, made their part, then passed it on to the next one in line. They managed to make a nice narrative and environment, and jumping between the devs' styles was neat. This idea as-is is not well suited for a contest, and I suspect it would only work if all participants are skilled enough, but I think this radical, unique style of idea would work well for us. Dream big! I know I would love to participate in something like Experiment 12. Also, sorry my posts are so wordy; I'm trying.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 04:04:27 am by patrickgh »

Lemon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2014, 11:48:19 am »

I just suggested it for a beneficial time-span whereas people can make the fan game at their own pace. It's more of a (time < quality) suggestion tbh, but just simply a suggestion.

Didn't mean to offend anyone with the post over that needle design example. I personally thought that fell in an intricate jump rule, but maybe I misworded that a tad. Haven't played that many needle games myself, so my opinion may be biased in others' point of view. No insults intended. Again, apologies

If that's a reply to my post, i wasn't offended or anything, just confused by the particular nature of the picture(was unsure if it was only aimed at that part, but somehow the rest for fine, for example) XD
I mean, personally I totally can see how it would be like that for people.
Needle certainly isn't some super special thing, and even the best needle ever made couldn't rival something with much more depth, like i wanna see the moon or i wanna be the galaxy.
I guess technically needle probably is sloppy design, or at-least whats in that picture, because of the ridiculous barrier to entry with no real curve....or something...this isn't the place for this kind of talk, not one I really want to go into.

As for the contest, I'm interested to see which direction it goes, probably wont enter this time though because I derped around a lot and dropped out last time, also will be moving, which is the bigger reason.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 11:50:22 am by Lemon »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9