I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Chat button has been eaten. Click here to join in the idling fun!

Author Topic: Why so many fangames? Why not more diversity of mechanics?  (Read 8636 times)

dojo_b

• View Profile
Why so many fangames? Why not more diversity of mechanics?
« on: October 19, 2014, 09:39:13 am »

I am all for difficult platform games being made by amateurs.  However, I question the phenomenon of so many games using the basic template of IWBTG.  Especially because I find his basic movement and jumping kind of bland and not so fun (just as the Megaman character was never so fun to control). 

Why not more games that have the difficult momentum/inertia effects of Super Mario Bros 1, or the high speed and jumping abilities of Meat Boy, or etc.?

Infinite

• The Headdesk News
  • PLAY BALL!
    • View Profile
Re: Why so many fangames? Why not more diversity of mechanics?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 07:02:07 am »

Because it's easy to make and people are lazy.
I was worried you stepped on a lego and died or something
what the hell is this glorious mess?
https://www.discord.me/iwbtg

Rebag102

• Twilight Sparkle
    • View Profile
    • Twitch
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 10:20:57 am »

Because we eventually got used to it and while still liking diverseness are fine with what we have

Valkema

• Anonly Asia O_O
  • The Guy
  • What. I'm busy right now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 10:21:03 pm »

??? it's still a mystery ???

shitty name fixed

• The Jooger, in case you didn't realize
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 07:26:25 pm »

Because people suck
When will it be my time?

core

• pls come back
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 04:55:55 pm »

This is a very legitimate question that should have been asked years ago.
Join the official IWBTF discord server!
Quote from: Yb
That was fucking obnoxious

d

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 12:32:52 pm »

Because fangames don't require a lot of thought and it's completely fine to go with bullshit difficulty rather than difficulty in moderation.
d

Katz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 07:29:49 pm »

Wow. Are you Rebag? Because that profile picture is REALLY COOL, ponies or not.

Take your shit to crap

OT: Honestly, the fact of the matter is that half of the people who make said fangames tend to make them very shitty, due to coding inexperience and/or IDE inexperience, period; They prefer to use pre-made IWBTG engines to put their ideas into play. Even so, developers also tend to make their own engines, rather than use one as basis (but don't take my word for it, Kamilia 3 is run on a pre-made engine and is still good.)

Answering your second question, I do believe slide mechanics, as well as ramp mechanics were introduced in iwbtg games. Many of these mechanics improved the stale jump(s) the solid engine had, and could have even improved the physics mechanics, which is unheard of. It's all over how should you do this.
Join the official IWBTF discord server! https://discord.me/iwbtg

shitty name fixed

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 09:52:40 pm »

Apparently the concept of fangames is a huge thing in japan, which may be why there are so many godawful miku games
When will it be my time?

Swordslinger

• Fangame Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 02:49:00 pm »

Apparently the concept of fangames is a huge thing in japan, which may be why there are so many godawful miku games

How hard are you looking for Miku games? I mean yea there are a lot but they aren't the whole fangame wiki, miku games are avoidance games, and it's not just miku, SDVX, Other Vocaloids, or some other original thing like Gel. My point is that to me you're just kinda proving you love miku games with how often you bring it up, and yes, the Japanese community is a very huge one, Lovetrap was the game with the original miku and Lovetrap is a game that had a lot of influence on every community due to how many great ideas it had for bosses, hell, big kid included.

You have every right to complain and this is partly my opinion with a bit of fact, whenever I look at the fangame wiki, I don't see as much Miku as you do, but keep in mind, just because it's miku doesn't mean the fight is already down the shitter.  Like Bye the Bye because the fight has a very nice pacing with very fitting attacks I should say. What about the DP series as well, you might as well call those shit because the bosses do require you to avoid projectiles to win, despite 1 and 3 are pretty uniquely made in the boss fights. Let me give you a word of advice, Judge the boss fight, not who the boss is. Actually look at the attacks because there are some very impressive Mikus out there like Denparadigm with very well designed patterns and attacks. I hope you get all of this, if not, I don't know what to tell you, but if you're only looking for miku games to complain, you are not going to have a good time.

shitty name fixed

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 10:04:29 pm »

How hard are you looking for Miku games? I mean yea there are a lot but they aren't the whole fangame wiki, miku games are avoidance games, and it's not just miku, SDVX, Other Vocaloids, or some other original thing like Gel. My point is that to me you're just kinda proving you love miku games with how often you bring it up, and yes, the Japanese community is a very huge one, Lovetrap was the game with the original miku and Lovetrap is a game that had a lot of influence on every community due to how many great ideas it had for bosses, hell, big kid included.

You have every right to complain and this is partly my opinion with a bit of fact, whenever I look at the fangame wiki, I don't see as much Miku as you do, but keep in mind, just because it's miku doesn't mean the fight is already down the shitter.  Like Bye the Bye because the fight has a very nice pacing with very fitting attacks I should say. What about the DP series as well, you might as well call those shit because the bosses do require you to avoid projectiles to win, despite 1 and 3 are pretty uniquely made in the boss fights. Let me give you a word of advice, Judge the boss fight, not who the boss is. Actually look at the attacks because there are some very impressive Mikus out there like Denparadigm with very well designed patterns and attacks. I hope you get all of this, if not, I don't know what to tell you, but if you're only looking for miku games to complain, you are not going to have a good time.
I talk about miku games a lot?

Of all the people on this entire forum, ME?

I'm just saying it's all you fangamers seem to talk about
When will it be my time?

Katz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 10:24:25 pm »

You have every right to complain and this is partly my opinion with a bit of fact, whenever I look at the fangame wiki, I don't see as much Miku as you do, but keep in mind, just because it's miku doesn't mean the fight is already down the shitter.  Like Bye the Bye because the fight has a very nice pacing with very fitting attacks I should say. What about the DP series as well, you might as well call those shit because the bosses do require you to avoid projectiles to win, despite 1 and 3 are pretty uniquely made in the boss fights. Let me give you a word of advice, Judge the boss fight, not who the boss is. Actually look at the attacks because there are some very impressive Mikus out there like Denparadigm with very well designed patterns and attacks. I hope you get all of this, if not, I don't know what to tell you, but if you're only looking for miku games to complain, you are not going to have a good time.

Thus being a perfect example on how you guys defend these games with your lives and take absolutely no criticism. The fact that no one can give such claims towards these sets of games without them being taken as blasphemy to your entire fan-base is kind of annoying.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 10:27:29 pm by Katz »
Join the official IWBTF discord server! https://discord.me/iwbtg

Swordslinger

• Fangame Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 04:13:52 am »

First katz, relax, I can take criticism just fine, I argue a lot of points, being kind of a critic myself, giving criticism and challenging opinions is part of my job (I've done it recently on a review that was horribly inaccurate in terms of gameplay elements barley existing, you know which one). I'm not defending these games with my life, you have to get one thing straight and think about what i said, do you really think i'm the kind of guy who defends fangames with my life? Fuck no they have their flaws as well, a lot of games have been coming out a bit terrible lately, none i'm interested in anyway. I don't even think you know what kind of point your standing on because of a few lines in your sentences. However when i look at Jooger's stand point, that's all I saw was complaining about miku in most of the posts I saw on the fangame board, so I called him out, so be civil about it, because that's what i was doing, i was, key word, CHALLENGING his opinion.

As for Jooger, yes fangamers talk about miku, or I'm going to phrase this better, most fangamers talk about vocaloid on twitch tv because they love listening to it, myself included. Personal taste aside, unless a boss is usually talked about and it's a miku, it's normal, I will take a regular game for instance, it had to have one part that made you sweat and never wanted to shut up about. Being a fangamer myself, Jooger if that is the case, you don't know what the fangame community actually is, the talk isn't 24/7 miku there's other shit going on. Most of the fangame board i've seen of you, mostly complaints or something, were about miku from what I've seen. Here's the thing, i'm going to give you a link, and if you want, spin it 5-10 times, download them, play them for a few minutes or hours, and tell me how many miku fights you got with the name of the games you span, your choice i don't care if you do this.

http://www.iwannabetherandom.com/

Though the thing i found funny is that you guys took about 17 days to reply too, and I found jooger online looking around the forums a bit, so what made you come to his defense katz? I know people who actually can't take criticism and i had an incident with one of them about five-six months ago because I had a very very minor complaint about the game. true story. However jooger, you seriously have to reread your first sentence on the post on march 30th 2015, that's what gave me that impression in the first place, I mean let's face it when you look at something one way for so long you obviously love it even if you deny it, actual human nature.

I wouldn't call it a perfect example, nor a good one because i wasn't treating jooger badly, from those sentences you think i was saying, FUCK YOU JOOGER YOU ASSHOLE FANGAME HATER!!! Fuck no i'm not that inproper, if he hates fangames fine, but take them for what they actually are, same with actual games, so the example is invalid because you didn't seem to understand the context.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 04:15:57 am by Swordslinger »

shitty name fixed

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2015, 06:34:55 am »

"So many" does not necessarily imply "all"
When will it be my time?

Fatih

• The Guy
  • CATHARSISΔEPIDEMIC
    • View Profile
    • Mountain of Fatih
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 08:19:54 am »

Err....

I was gonna implement Shift to show Hitbox and punching...
https://discord.me/iwbtg
My site, WIP
discord.io/mofatih for my own