I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Gaiden 1.2 patch released. Click here to download!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: I Wanna Usurp the Celestial Jump  (Read 8540 times)

Katz

• View Profile
Re: I Wanna Usurp the Celestial Jump
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2015, 02:52:13 pm »

Should be either way. Idk if specs are necessary but it could might as well be the engine. Not sure though
Join the official IWBTF discord server! https://discord.me/iwbtg

Kyir

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2015, 03:08:25 pm »

I really wouldn't know how to figure out what's wrong tbh. It could be GMS, it could be the fact that most of the areas are just really big rooms full of objects, it could be something completely unrelated. I'm sorry it's not working well for you.
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 04:05:43 pm »

big rooms could be an issue. how big are we talking here?

do you have any memory leaks going? like surfaces not freed, particles systems not destroyed, ds_whatevers not destroyed?

Kyir

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 05:17:44 pm »

Not that big. Each one is about three or four times bigger than what can be displayed at once, and there's nothing that would cause a memory leak.

Klaty

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2015, 01:28:46 am »

Each one is about three or four times bigger than what can be displayed at once

Huh? There's a limit on how many/big the rooms can be, even in GMS? Well that's bull. I know it's a language of its own, but I wouldn't think it's that bad. I must say I've been proven that GM is better than I thought, more than once. I think it was Distorted Travesty and Mystik Belle. But I think the dynamic effects and physics/generators still lack, though...

Anyway, back into subject;
I've recently actually gotten an error for Terraria 1.3.0.5 saying something about insufficient memory. There's a topic about fixing it, it's something caused by the minimap, I think. There's a temporary way to fix it by replacing some config file, but as my game is cracked (don't worry, I'll buy it someday), I don't seem to have it. So I'll just have to wait till I get a better PC or at least PC parts so I can build one.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz
RAM: 4GB RAM, of which ~half cached, ~half available, 60MB free (do I need to specify?)
MOBO: HP 2820h (XU1 processor)
HDD: Samsung 149GB (do I need to specify?)
No GPU.

Yeah, pretty bad. I got it at a flea market for ~115 euros.  :P

Katz

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2015, 02:29:53 am »

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz

Maybe that's why? Kinda iffy on that though, might as well be some sort of leak.
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2015, 03:07:32 am »

Each one is about three or four times bigger than what can be displayed at once

Huh? There's a limit on how many/big the rooms can be, even in GMS? Well that's bull. I know it's a language of its own, but I wouldn't think it's that bad. I must say I've been proven that GM is better than I thought, more than once. I think it was Distorted Travesty and Mystik Belle. But I think the dynamic effects and physics/generators still lack, though...
I think he just meant, 3 or 4 screens long. There's no set limit but after a certain size rooms begin to lag, though not in my experience 3/4 times.

The thing with GM is, it's surprisingly powerful. It just also has a low skill threshold which means that a lot more shitty products are made on it than most other game creation software which brings down the overall reputation of the software which is a shame. It has it's flaws by the bucketload but it is a workhorse if you know how to use it right.

Klaty

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2015, 05:43:06 am »

I think he just meant, 3 or 4 screens long. There's no set limit but after a certain size rooms begin to lag, though not in my experience 3/4 times.

Oh yeah, I figured out the problem; I put the game on fullscreen. When I put it in windowed mode, almost flawless. Although I still put it in fullscreen in parts where I have to be really precise. :P

The thing with GM is, it's surprisingly powerful. It just also has a low skill threshold which means that a lot more shitty products are made on it than most other game creation software which brings down the overall reputation of the software which is a shame. It has it's flaws by the bucketload but it is a workhorse if you know how to use it right.

I noticed that. Just that, I have a couple of projects, most are either some simple silly games, or 3D remakes, but there's this big project... as some things would seem complicated to code, I was thinking maybe I should make it from scratch. As in, C++. But that'd be too complicated... and my hat-loving friend (who also used to work on it, mainly making hats) thought I was crazy when I said it's gonna be probably GBs big. Many games are, it's not some mobile game. I like how GM allows you to rotate sprites, that always seemed interesting. But I thought the lighting effect (which there seems to only exist one) is terrible, I wanted it to be more realistic. And once I thought some kind of gaussian blur would be nice.
What I meant with the physics/generators was that, I don't really want all plants/trees/whatever to look the same. I'd like to make a generator that randomizes the size and amount of e.g. the leaves. Oh, and I'd also really like for them to react to the things the players do, like run by, do some wind spells and whatnot.

My other choice would be Construct 3 (not yet released), but there're some things I don't like about it.
Sorry for the long text. I can't seem to find the forum code where you can make a spoiler list thing, you click on the Show button and it shows what's in it.

Kyir

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2015, 09:16:01 pm »

Just for future reference, there are threads about game design around here.
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2015, 10:15:02 am »

There's no real need to be rude about it. In our defence it did start with us trying to work out why your game runs like ass.

Kyir

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2015, 06:09:23 pm »

If you think that's rudeness I have no idea what your day-to-day life is like. Are you served tea and scones by servants that kowtow if you so much as look in their general direction? Do you perhaps recline in your chair lined with fine fox furs and contemplate how to dictate your next post to one of your many secretaries, or do you stoop low enough to type it on your own, risking your soft fingertips just to chastise a peon like me? I assure you, I'm not worth your incredibly important time.

(If you still can't tell, that's rudeness.)
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2015, 06:15:22 pm »

No that's you embarrassing yourself lol.

Kyir

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2015, 06:15:26 pm »

You're right. I've seen the terrible errors of my ways. I have no idea how I could have been so unbelievably foolish.

Katz

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2015, 06:16:49 pm »

If you think that's rudeness I have no idea what your day-to-day life is like. Are you served tea and scones by servants that kowtow if you so much as look in their general direction? Do you perhaps recline in your chair lined with fine fox furs and contemplate how to dictate your next post to one of your many secretaries, or do you stoop low enough to type it on your own, risking your soft fingertips just to chastise a peon like me? I assure you, I'm not worth your incredibly important time.

You tried too hard. Good job at fucking up your own game thread, bub.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 06:18:51 pm by El Chapo »
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2015, 06:19:20 pm »

You tried too hard.
He's still trying bless him. I hope one day he manages to strike just that right balance of pointless sarcasm where it actually feels like an insult and not like he's just being an edgy teenager
Pages: 1 [2] 3