I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Chat button has been eaten. Click here to join in the idling fun!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: So, it's coming time for me to upgrade my hardware...  (Read 2741 times)

YoSniper

• Code blooded. Check it and see.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
So, it's coming time for me to upgrade my hardware...
« on: September 11, 2015, 08:28:51 pm »

Hello forum,

I know, I rarely post in sections other than Fangames, but I figure that this is the best place for this topic.

My crappy laptop that I've had since 2010 is really holding me back from doing better things. The battery can no longer hold a sufficient charged, and keeps complaining that I need to replace it (I doubt these kinds of batteries are really being mass produced anymore) and sometimes, the thing will just overheat and shut itself down suddenly (usually when I'm in the middle of putting together a video project.)

In short, I'm looking to get a new computer; specifically, I am looking for a desktop. And I would like your recommendations based on the following criteria:

- I'm probably going to want to jump straight into Windows 10. This is probably a given, but I want to be sure.

- I bought They Bleed Pixels on Steam years ago and have never been able to play it because the graphics card in my laptop can't handle it. I want a computer with a good enough graphics card to play games like that and A Donkey Kong Country Tribute Game.

- Certain people want me to start streaming again. I would need recommendations on the best kind of software to use for that.

- I'm kind of sick of using Camtasia to edit my videos together. The transitions are never really good. I'd like to know if there is some good screen recording software out there (preferably freeware) that can capture system audio as well as audio from my mic. I'm also open to learning about better video editing programs (kind of don't want to go with Windows Movie Maker.)

- Overall, I want to spend less than $1000, but if I absolutely have to, I'll exceed it a little bit.

Any help is appreicated. I'll make sure to bookmark this thread so I can come back to it regularly.

Thanks!
I don't traverse the forums as much anymore. Follow me on Twitter if you want to keep tabs on me!

Twitter: @YoSniperGames
Twitch: yosniper

Streams happen whenever I feel like it.

Fatih

• Lunar Member
  • CATHARSISΔEPIDEMIC
    • View Profile
    • Mountain of Fatih
Re: So, it's coming time for me to upgrade my hardware...
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 11:10:20 pm »

W10: Better than W8, might as well go for it.

Streaming: OBS is very easy, practical and free to use. I recommend.

Recording: Bandicam does exactly what you want. Free version adds watermark on top and only lets you record 10 mins at a time, but it is cheap iirc.

Editing: Sony Vegas Pro? Probably expensive but not sure if thats what is ok for you
https://discord.me/iwbtg
My site, WIP
discord.io/mofatih for my own

shitty name fixed

• The Jooger, in case you didn't realize
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 12:45:19 am »

Sites like PCPartPicker make it really easy to get things like graphics cards. And yes, I dont mind windows 10
When will it be my time?

YoSniper

• View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 11:17:59 am »

Thanks guys. I appreciate any help I can get.

As for screen recording and editing, I'll look into Bandicam, but I'd like to know more options before I go with it. Really, the main problem I have with Camtasia at the moment is that transitions are shit (the videos don't overlap; it just takes a still image of the last frame of the first clip and the first frame of the last clip and transitions between those two before continuing.)

I'd like to avoid watermarks if possible. I mean, if I have to invest a little money into recording software, I'll do it, but NOT if it's a subscription based license system, where I would have to renew every year or something like that.

Please, keep suggestions coming. Thank you.
I don't traverse the forums as much anymore. Follow me on Twitter if you want to keep tabs on me!

Fatih

• Lunar Member
  • CATHARSISΔEPIDEMIC
    • View Profile
    • Mountain of Fatih
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 12:10:19 pm »

Well shit I thought it was cheap. It's 40 bucks USD and 50 CAD. But i know for sure it is forever and not yearly. I recommend you try out the trial first because it has every setting there would be on the full version other than watermark and 10 min limit.
My site, WIP

LOLGAMMER

• aka lolgamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 12:14:02 pm »

As for screen recording and editing, I'll look into Bandicam, but I'd like to know more options before I go with it. Really, the main problem I have with Camtasia at the moment is that transitions are shit (the videos don't overlap; it just takes a still image of the last frame of the first clip and the first frame of the last clip and transitions between those two before continuing.)

I'd like to avoid watermarks if possible. I mean, if I have to invest a little money into recording software, I'll do it, but NOT if it's a subscription based license system, where I would have to renew every year or something like that.

I'd just find a crack online imo.  Unless you legitimately want to pay for a recording softwares, I don't think there is any reason to waste money for that.

Fatih

• Lunar Member
  • CATHARSISΔEPIDEMIC
    • View Profile
    • Mountain of Fatih
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 12:19:35 pm »

:^) join da club
My site, WIP

YoSniper

• View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 12:37:44 pm »

I'd just find a crack online imo.  Unless you legitimately want to pay for a recording softwares, I don't think there is any reason to waste money for that.

As long as it doesn't get interpreted as a virus, that might be what I wind up doing. I intend to keep Game Maker 8 Pro in the same manner (although I will continue to use Studio for other projects.)

[redacted]

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 07:54:52 am »

I made a build for you, it will pretty much do all the things your asking. (I don't know if you wanted an Optical Drive and or if you already had your OS Disk and Key with you still)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($175.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($70.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team Elite 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($35.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($83.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($46.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card  ($309.99 @ B&H)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.98 @ Mac Mall)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($97.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $981.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-18 07:46 EDT-0400

This is of course if you are willing to build it yourself, otherwise if your not, come talk to me on Skype and I can work something out.

YoSniper

• View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2015, 05:03:45 pm »

I made a build for you, it will pretty much do all the things your asking. (I don't know if you wanted an Optical Drive and or if you already had your OS Disk and Key with you still)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($175.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($70.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team Elite 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($35.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($83.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($46.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card  ($309.99 @ B&H)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.98 @ Mac Mall)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($97.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $981.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-18 07:46 EDT-0400

This is of course if you are willing to build it yourself, otherwise if your not, come talk to me on Skype and I can work something out.
Thank you, Starz0r!
I don't see a problem with building the computer. My wife is well versed in such a task; she's built at least one before.

Pokota

• The Guy
  • Om! Nom! Nom!
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube!
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2015, 07:41:20 am »

W10: Better than W8, might as well go for it.

Streaming: OBS is very easy, practical and free to use. I recommend.

Recording: Bandicam does exactly what you want. Free version adds watermark on top and only lets you record 10 mins at a time, but it is cheap iirc.

Editing: Sony Vegas Pro? Probably expensive but not sure if thats what is ok for you
OBS can record; it has an option for saving the video stream and you can even record without streaming.
I use VSDC for my editing, but it's not the most... understandable program at times.

YoSniper

• View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2015, 09:57:31 am »

All right, well I've made the move and spent the money on Newegg. I felt it was a better idea to get everything from one place at one time rather than try to save $50 or so.

Let's hope this build comes together as planned. Thank you all for your help and support.

YoSniper

• View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2015, 12:42:01 pm »

So I finally got help and we have assembled the PC. Only concern I have is that we're having trouble getting the case fans to run.

Any suggestions?

[redacted]

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2015, 07:49:16 am »

So I finally got help and we have assembled the PC. Only concern I have is that we're having trouble getting the case fans to run.

Any suggestions?

If you are having a problem you can try contacting me on Skype and I can try to help to best of ability, troubleshooting PC problems CAN be a difficult job.

shitty name fixed

• The Jooger, in case you didn't realize
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2015, 11:39:26 am »

I would recommend Sony Vegas Pro. I will admit I pirated it, but I feel somewhat justified as I bought both the standard edition and the platinum edition legitimately. And those were pretty much rhe exact same thing.

It's not quite as good as Final Cut, but infinitely better than something like Movie Maker. It has a wide range of both audio and visual effects.

The only thing I don't really like about it is that it's hard to simply "slow footage down" or "speed footage up". You can stretch video out, or shrink it, but the audio stays at the same pitch. And you can pitch shift audio, but the video remains the same. You have to do both, and getting the audio pitch shift to correspond to how much the video was stretched or shrunken is complicated.

Back in like 2008 when I first started using vegas, I had been making youtube poops in movie maker, and I completely lost my touch when I transitioned over to vegas. But I doubt this should be a concern in 2015.
When will it be my time?
Pages: [1] 2