I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Chat button has been eaten. Click here to join in the idling fun!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Abandoned project (I Wanna be The Gravity!)  (Read 5192 times)

SpaceH3R0

• It's happening
    • View Profile
Abandoned project (I Wanna be The Gravity!)
« on: December 03, 2015, 11:53:11 am »

This was a post for a project I abandoned and mods didn't delete
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 02:11:23 pm by SpaceH3R0 »
*Shitty signature*

cheesymcgee87

• View Profile
Re: I Wanna Be The Gravity!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 07:58:22 pm »

Not bad. The level design was fun and mostly original. I have a few suggestions if you want to get started on the right foot:

-Add a background, pure black is boring and can come off as lazy. A simple background will do. Maybe something from VVVVVV?
-Blocks could look a bit better. I recommend making an outline of the solid wall, instead of 32x32 squares everywhere. (here's an example: https://i.imgur.com/5qrM1xS.png)
-Maybe make the color of the spikes change to match the blocks?
-After you get the secret item, make it take you back to where you were instead of the beginning.
-Maybe make the flip lines play a sound effect when you touch them?

SpaceH3R0

• It's happening
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 10:43:02 am »

Not bad. The level design was fun and mostly original. I have a few suggestions if you want to get started on the right foot:

-Add a background, pure black is boring and can come off as lazy. A simple background will do. Maybe something from VVVVVV?
-Blocks could look a bit better. I recommend making an outline of the solid wall, instead of 32x32 squares everywhere. (here's an example: https://i.imgur.com/5qrM1xS.png)
-After you get the secret item, make it take you back to where you were instead of the beginning.
Thanks!

I have excuses for your suggestions:
-Background: I was going to use the background from The Lab in VVVVVV, but I didn't finish it yet. I have to figure out how to make moving backgrounds...
-Blocks: I know I could make them better, those are just provisional. This is the alpha version.
-Spikes: There's no red room because red is for the spikes.
-Secret item: I could, but I prefer it like this.
-Line suond effect: I know, but I don't have the sound yet.
Remember this is alpha 0.1!

EDIT: Did it lag?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 10:51:31 am by SpaceH3R0 »
*Shitty signature*
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 12:25:01 pm »

Minimal graphics = lazy? Really? Honestly SpaceH3R0, I think the graphics look fine and I don't think you need a background for this area. You're channeling are real ZX Spectrum look and it's working out. The style you have is reminiscent of VVVVVV but doesn't copy it which is really nice. I also don't think the walls need lines.

I personally think this would make the game go from a nicely minimal to boring, so idk why this has been suggested. The spikes should pop out, not blend in. Though maybe SpaceH3R0 you could make the spikes the opposite colour to the blocks in every room, that might be a neat little graphical flourish.

Agree with both of these, as long as the flip sound isn't annoying.

I thought this was okay, but you're about 4 years late on the whole VVVVVV fangame business so you're gonna have to really up the quality in the next few worlds to make this standout.

My points of criticism would be:

-The difficulty curve doesn't make much sense. None of the game is hard. But the second save is noticeably harder than the first and then the third is noticeably easier and the fourth noticeably harder. The overall difficulty is fine, but inside of the demo it's a bit all over the place.

-There are some pretty distasteful design choices you make: Offscreen jump into a drop? Come on. It looks like a set-piece ripped straight out of the megaman room in the engine (in fact I'm pretty sure it is, since it's in the same position as the drop in the engine) and it contributes to the uneasy difficulty.

-On the second screen you could get stuck where you weren't meant to by using the flip and then going back into the first room. I thought this was part of the secret and was then disappointed to find out how easy it was to spot the secret entrance. I would consider moving it there as it takes a bit more thinking to get to. Otherwise make sure to seal your gaps so that you can't get stuck.

-I don't understand why some gravity flippers were the VVVVVV lines and others were the stock engine arrows? Choose one or the other, don't mix them. It looks really messy especially when you can land between the arrows and give yourself a breather which wouldn't be allowed with the lines, in keeping with the pace of the level.

Listen, this wasn't a bad effort, but it was also really untidy. The main problem for me is, there's only about 5 rooms, not counting the secret. It took me less than 10 mins to beat. Why release something so unfinished, and then respond to criticism by saying "This is the alpha version." or " I know, but I don't have X yet."? No one really wants to download and play something so small anyway, let alone when even what's on show is unfinished. SpaceH3R0, finish a few areas first and then release (or just finish the whole thing, what's stopping you?) and I guarantee you'll get more buzz around this. If you put it on the wiki when it's finished it'll definitely get played by memebers of the wannabees etc. But right now this isn't worth playing for anybody because it isn't even one whole finished, polished, area.
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 01:06:16 pm »

Also, yeah the game lagged slightly on my computer on death. It's a modern (past year) laptop, but it's not geared towards gaming, just work and stuff.

SpaceH3R0

• It's happening
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 01:10:04 pm »

-There are some pretty distasteful design choices you make: Offscreen jump into a drop? Come on. It looks like a set-piece ripped straight out of the megaman room in the engine (in fact I'm pretty sure it is, since it's in the same position as the drop in the engine) and it contributes to the uneasy difficulty.
I didn't use any default rooms. I created them from the beggining. Also, I'll be adding names to the rooms and the off-screen fall room is called "Think Fast".
-On the second screen you could get stuck where you weren't meant to by using the flip and then going back into the first room. I thought this was part of the secret and was then disappointed to find out how easy it was to spot the secret entrance. I would consider moving it there as it takes a bit more thinking to get to. Otherwise make sure to seal your gaps so that you can't get stuck.
Well, about the secret, it was supposed to be hard more than to be secret, but I'll guess I could move it to make it more secret.
-I don't understand why some gravity flippers were the VVVVVV lines and others were the stock engine arrows? Choose one or the other, don't mix them. It looks really messy especially when you can land between the arrows and give yourself a breather which wouldn't be allowed with the lines, in keeping with the pace of the level.
As the lines are supposed to go between spikes, there are some parts in which I couldn't place them, so I used arrows. Also, I made the new texture for the arrows myself. But I guess I'll use lines only.
Listen, this wasn't a bad effort, but it was also really untidy. The main problem for me is, there's only about 5 rooms, not counting the secret. It took me less than 10 mins to beat.
What you played is half the 1st stage, it will be longer in the future.

I'm uploading alpha versions for people interested in the game and it's progress. If you aren't, then wait for the official 1.0 release or just don't play it.
*Shitty signature*
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 01:49:37 pm »

Yeah okay, but why don't you assemble a team of beta testers instead of making a thread pop up in everyone's unread posts category when only a few people will care about it? It's exactly the same as me uploading/updating a thread every day with my progress through life, and then saying to people who find the thread(s) boring "Well, just wait until something interesting happens and until then ignore it".

Again, you're using the excuse of "well it's not finished/that part isn't done yet" to justify things that are wrong with the game. The only comments you're going to get on an unfinished game are:

a). Criticism
b). Complaints that you should have posted a finished/more substantial game

And if you're deflecting half of the criticsm because of arbitrary reasons then what's the point?

LOLGAMMER

• aka lolgamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 06:04:42 pm »

I like it so far. VVVVVV stages in fangames almost never dissappoints and your game is no exception.  Level design is mostl great. There are a few annoying jumps but they're forgivable, and the graphics are okay. I would change that pitch black background to something else. Besides all that I'm looking forward for more.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 04:06:17 pm by Clockwork XXIV »

cheesymcgee87

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 08:36:55 pm »

Stage 2 Miniboss - Boshy
Stage 2 Boss - Solgryn

I highly suggest you do something else.
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 09:56:01 pm »

Stage 2 Miniboss - Boshy
Stage 2 Boss - Solgryn

Keygrin

• Worst gamer ever
    • View Profile
    • Keygrin
Fangame Bosses
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2015, 10:28:39 pm »

I'd rather leave Solgryn alone, too. It was funny at first, but it's gotten old now.

SpaceH3R0

• It's happening
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2015, 11:25:22 am »

I'd rather leave Solgryn alone, too. It was funny at first, but it's gotten old now.
Stage 2 Miniboss - Boshy
Stage 2 Boss - Solgryn

Thanks for the suggestions, but I really wanna make the Solgryn and Boshy bossfights
*Shitty signature*

LOLGAMMER

• aka lolgamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2015, 07:59:57 am »

Solgryn and Boshy are both overused and forgettable. Do that Sansgryn fight instead; looks amazing.

SpaceH3R0

• It's happening
    • View Profile
Re: I Wanna Be The Gravity Alpha!
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2015, 01:15:35 pm »

Solgryn and Boshy are both overused and forgettable. Do that Sansgryn fight instead; looks amazing.
I was thinking of making "Underboshy" as a fangame, so I'll keep it for that. I had another byotiful idea:
Stage 2 Miniboss - Boshy
Stage 2 Boss - ToonGryn
I'll keep Boshy, but you'll find out what "ToonGryn" is... ;P
*Shitty signature*

Kyir

• View Profile
Re: I Wanna Be The Gravity Alpha!
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2015, 04:21:04 pm »

I was thinking of making "Underboshy" as a fangame, so I'll keep it for that.

I would really recommend NOT doing that. Ever.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 04:30:39 pm by Kyir »
Pages: [1] 2