I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Chat button has been eaten. Click here to join in the idling fun!

Author Topic: new poost  (Read 883 times)

core

• pls come back
    • View Profile
new poost
« on: December 23, 2015, 05:49:50 pm »

hey hello i'm doing good at college so far
first year first semester. out of 13 tests so far, i've done really good on 10, alright on 2 and failed one(but that one isn't important so i'm gud)
I really do like this college/uni/whatever the fuck the right terminology is (idk sorry), the professors are chill, people are alright (not the best but is ok) and i don't have any real complaints actually

how are you people doing so far in your education endeavors? do you like your school/uni/college?
and for you oldies, how's work? do you like your work place and stuff
Join the official IWBTF discord server!
Quote from: Yb
That was fucking obnoxious

shitty name fixed

• The Jooger, in case you didn't realize
    • View Profile
Re: new poost
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 06:43:19 pm »

About to apply to a college, thinking of Computer Science as a major but have no idea what I want to do for a minor
When will it be my time?

Neko Desu

• The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 06:51:12 pm »

About to apply to a college, thinking of Computer Science as a major but have no idea what I want to do for a minor

CS is definitely a worthwhile major. I'm in 3rd year Bachelor of Math/CS, and I've enjoyed most of my courses so far. There are lots of different topics in CS, and an undergraduate degree will expose you to most of them (compilers, networks, AI, graphics, operating systems, etc)

But nobody cares about what you choose as your minor.

shitty name fixed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 01:34:32 am »

I'm thinking something in both STEM and Liberal Arts will be a good idea to make me as versatile as possible.
When will it be my time?

Valkema

• Anonly Asia O_O
  • The Guy
  • What. I'm busy right now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 02:58:03 am »

Minors exist to show that you did something else and nothing more. You can get a minor in literally anything and it would look the same. I go to an engineering school so we tend to make fun of CS students being the only popular non engineering major on campus. I have to take several CS courses for my major so I'll probably end up getting a minor in it but CS ain't to bad of an option in all honesty.

Neko Desu

• The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 03:18:06 am »

I'm thinking something in both STEM and Liberal Arts will be a good idea to make me as versatile as possible.

If you want to have well-rounded knowledge, a minor is exactly what you want to avoid. It's better to take a wide variety of courses that suit your interests. Furthermore, it's hard to predict which subjects you'll even enjoy in university. I took economics in first year, hated it, and never took it again (then I took a bunch of japanese courses).

Also, dispel yourself of the illusion that employers care about which courses you take in university. If you're applying to internships, create side projects and link to them on your resume (alternatively, ride the git bandwagon).

shitty name fixed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 09:29:45 pm »

(alternatively, ride the git bandwagon).

uggh, I really, REALLY don't want to do this. But I should probably start
When will it be my time?