I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Gaiden 1.2 patch released. Click here to download!

Author Topic: since when were you the one in control?  (Read 935 times)

Neko Desu

• The Guy
    • View Profile
since when were you the one in control?
« on: January 23, 2016, 12:21:54 am »

'Sup?

This term, I work a full time job assisting a data structures course at my university and managing the TAs. Teaching tutorials is rewarding, but marking assignments is not. I'd make more money working an internship at an actual company, but I actually don't know how to live alone in a city without any friends with me. The thought of doing that post graduation fills me with anxiety (but I'm definitely not going to live at home, as I don't get along with my parents too well). Also, I dislike the silicon valley bandwagon.

In the student suite that I live, I play smash 4 with roommates every night. Cloud is OP but fun to use, and I've been maining Dark Pit as well. Other than that, I write trashy Undertale fanfiction, and I'm planning to develop a 2D narrative platformer in Unity. Hopefully, I can release something indie on Steam before I graduate and become a corporate slave.

Kloud

• PRO
  • The Guy
  • I hate myself
    • View Profile
Re: since when were you the one in control?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 05:49:25 am »

Dude, marking is so fun. Do you be Old Testament God or New Testament God? Either way, things of great importance to people who mean nothing to you are in your largely arbitrary hands. (Unless you have to mark by a scheme then gross).

I also worry about living alone without support networks. Life is just a series of forcing yourself to reach small deadlines between larger milestones; and platonic relations are usually what comprise those deadlines. Without the carrot on a stick of a get-together here and a smash game there etc life becomes about waiting months or years for the end of uni/college, the start of a new job, the next promotion etc - and how do you delay gratification so long as to motivate yourself to keep on hanging-on when the next pit stop is that far away?

The fanfiction might be trashy (not read it, just quoting you) but it's not the quality of the prose that matters it's the fact that it's giving you another small deadline on the journey where you can distract yourself. Good luck on the game btw, I know you have something good in you.

Neko Desu

• The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 01:37:18 am »

Thanks!

shitty name fixed

• The Jooger, in case you didn't realize
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 12:09:07 am »

Very well said, Tay. I'm inspired
When will it be my time?