I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Chat button has been eaten. Click here to join in the idling fun!

Author Topic: IWBTG Review!  (Read 2339 times)

DrowN

• View Profile
IWBTG Review!
« on: February 21, 2016, 04:22:53 am »

I Wanna Be The Guy is a 2D platformer by independant developer Michael O’Reilly. This game is, in my honest opinion one of the hardest games of all time, and masterfully done. It makes the player feel like the 2D platformer genre is the most hardcore of all genres. IWBTG could never realistically be commercialized as it caters to a very specific type of gamer, I’m not even talking about the ones that love a good challenge, I’m talking about the cool headed gamer with way too much time, probably a massive egotist that will sink his life into something just to be able to say ‘I did that.’

This game is extremely fast paced and not the type of game you will ever complete on your first life, not necessarily because the game is insanely hard, (it is) but because there are alot of trial and error mechanics in which you find yourself dying 50 times before figuring out the exact movements you need to execute. It is a very simply designed game with only base game mechanics (double jump, shoot, run) but from this simple basis a world that could take up more than 100 hours of your time has been created.

The endless intensity of the game does not die down at any point and after you die 1,000 times to walk the length of the screen once, you are rewarded with a boss fight which then will see you through the gates of heaven a few thousand times over again. There is no tangible reward for completing sections of this game but the immense satisfaction when you first walk into a screen, die instantly, die instantly for about 20 minutes and declare it utterly impossible, and then eventually complete this monumental task. That self satisfaction is what drives players to continue, to challenge themselves.

I love the fact that this game does not give you an inch. It will not help you out, it will not make anything a tiny bit easier for you, if you leave your mouse on the screen you’re playing on, the mouse will slowly move toward your character and on impact will kill you instantly and the game will mock you. There is no lives but a sometimes extremely unforgiving save point system and absolutely everything that you touch but the ground or the floating platforms, will kill you.

I have a love-hate relationship with this game that many players don't share, when mentioning IWBTG to my friends I receive nothing but dread and frustration in their tones as they describe their experience, similar to Dark Souls and Bloodborne but as being an avid player of that genre I will safely say in comparison those games are children's games. If you feel like rising to the challenge, the ultimate test of patience, adaptability and reflexes, this game is definitely for you and I implore you to take up the challenge, if you are prone to getting frustrated easily and just want a casual game to sit back relax and play, I won’t tell you it’s not for you but I would tell you to see this review as a warning, have fun and happy gaming!

Garrettp375

• Spagargus was a dead meme. Its gone.
    • View Profile
    • My twitch!
Re: IWBTG Review!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 04:26:58 am »

The mouse thing is in I wanna be the boshy, not guy. But otherwise a great review!

LOLGAMMER

• aka lolgamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 05:49:18 pm »

Did you just compare a 2D platformer with a 3D action RPG?

TAYLOOP

• PRO
  • The Guy
  • I hate myself
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 02:09:25 pm »

this was a genuinely decent post and good review, reminded me of the uncountable hours I spent playing it and the amount of times I beat it on hard/very hard, ( if you look at my original spammy posts on this forum some of the include saying anyone who beats it on normal isn't the *guy*, but the. Lady guy) aside from the mouse thing it's a good enough review to use officially in my opinion. I never played the fan games I don't know never saw much of a a point but I could see how mechanics get confused between titles between the games being so similar. Anyways it was a good nostalgia trip back to much happier frustrating days. There may still be hope for the degenerates on this forum