I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Chat button has been eaten. Click here to join in the idling fun!

Author Topic: Game doesn't respond when transitioning to other areas  (Read 844 times)

samy2003

• View Profile
Game doesn't respond when transitioning to other areas
« on: July 25, 2018, 05:11:19 pm »

Welcome everyone!

I'm new to the forums so please no disrespect. If this is the wrong place to post my topic, moderators please move it.

On to serious things: I am experiencing an annoying problem which is the inability of accessing some areas (such as the graveyard or the factory).
My game always crashes/doesn't respond when I'm trying to transition to these areas. To make things even worse: I'm not playing on Windows - my computer is running on
Linux (Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64-bit). I am running the game with Wine.

So have you ever experienced this before? Is there no solution unless someone knows about Linux? (I have the feeling that 90% of the people here only use Windows :/)

Chef Excellence®

• An Excellent® Admin
  • Administrator
  • "An Excellent® Person"
    • View Profile
Re: Game doesn't respond when transitioning to other areas
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 09:47:53 pm »

Hey Samy, welcome!

You would be correct in assuming that the majority of users would be running IWBTG on a Windows platform, and to be honest it's not the most stable program to begin with even when running it on its intended OS, Windows XP. WINE can only be so effective at running the application, but it sounds like whichever hook it uses to load a new area causes WINE to crash.

I would recommend trying out Salamander's Save Fixer if the link is still posted and edit a copy of your save file to one of the new areas to see if that works out or if it still causes WINE to crash. The only other option would be to run a VM of barebones Windows XP and run it on there, if possible.

Link to I Wanna Be The Fix
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 09:52:26 pm by Chef Excellence® »
"An Excellent® Signature" -Chef Excellence®
: An Excellent® Spoiler Pic Signature • show

samy2003

• View Profile
Re: Game doesn't respond when transitioning to other areas
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 09:15:22 am »

Thanks for your help! :) And sorry for the late reply.

I found out by "stealing" a bunch of save files from other people that I can still access the areas after the transitions. It's just the game which crashes
during the transitions. Tried using I Wanna be the Fix, didn't help that much...

Anyways, thanks for the advice!