I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Chat button has been eaten. Click here to join in the idling fun!

Author Topic: I think I have a new favorite game  (Read 2953 times)

personaomega

• View Profile
I think I have a new favorite game
« on: January 24, 2008, 12:34:17 am »

Hi. I'm pretty new to these forums, and only found out about this game recently. But since I've found it, I've fallen in love with it.

I've always been a fan of video games, my first system being an intellivision 2, and only getting more as time went on. As such, though I don't get every reference in this game, I do get a lot of them. I do love most of them, but that's not really the reason that I want to give praise here.

Something in the realm of 2 years ago (my memory's somewhat fuzzy on this), I found a game that intrigued me. It was called Cave Story. This game was amazing to me for quite a few reasons. For one, the level of detail put into the work. For two, the secrets I would eventually uncover, and thirdly, and this one is important, the love of the craft of video games that I discovered behind it. To Pixel, the creator of Cave Story, it was a work of love.

How does this relate to I wanna be the guy? Well, it's quite simple, really. For a long time, Cave Story has been among my favorite games, and ones that have, from a gaming perspective, touched me very deeply. I respect anyone who has a true love for their craft. And I see a lot of the same signs in this game. I see an incredible amount of time and effort put into this game, all of it lovingly.

I wanna be the guy, from the perspective of someone who finds game design principals intriguing, is one of the most amazing pieces of work I've ever seen. The difficulty level is astoundingly high, but Kayin has done something that very few people are capable of. He's created a game that is not only hard, but fair. Yes, there are moments where you die for no reason. But they're placed in the game sparingly, and once you know where they're placed, they're avoidable. There is no such thing as a kill through sheer unluckiness (save for during the dracula fight, which is partially randomized).

Provided you go into this game with the right mindset, and have just a little bit of patience, it's almost a guarantee that if you like the platforming genre, this game will be appealing. It is one of the most fantastically designed games I've ever come across, and I find it hard to stress this enough.

The right mindset, by the way, is simply that it's okay to die. That perfection is all that's accepted, but you have as many tries as you need. You only as many lives as you want to do this thing, but only one hit in each of them. Though spike pits are a horrible design flaw in many games, in this game, there's no expectation of something not killing you in one hit. Spike pits are important to the game design. This is something that few if any other games have accomplished with any real merit.

Similarly, though you do kill people somewhat randomly, you're very careful about it. Frequency increases closer to save points, everything is avoidable, the random deaths are all truly unique and often hilarious. The game is as fun to play as it is to watch another play. The many many youtube videos with people playing through with commentary, deaths un-edited, is a testament to this.

I may put up critique at some point, but for now, I just wanted to give you my thanks, Kayin. The game you have created will likely stay in my memory forever, and I thank you for the love you've put into it.

Dagnarok

• Neutral Good Moderator
  • Administrator
  • The Guy
  • Commander of the USP Talon
    • View Profile
Re: I think I have a new favorite game
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 12:38:02 am »

Amen, my friend. :)
Quote from: Tilyami
Shuu is like the monkey's paw if the monkey's paw was a partridge.

Getsuga999tenshou

• I WANNA BE THE GUY....BUT I SUCK AT THIS GAME!!
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt page
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 01:19:00 am »

Good Luck on your quest to be the guy! :fruit: :kid:

personaomega

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 02:15:30 am »

Good Luck on your quest to be the guy! :fruit: :kid:

Actually, I already am! I've beaten it on hard mode. I'm working on very hard mode now. I'm past the first 6 bosses, and on the cart ride to the fortress of the guy.

Ghost

• Not known as "that guy".
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 02:22:42 am »

I think you took the words right out of my mouth.

You're pretty good. I just started Very Hard today. I'm only on the Castlevania segment, though. Still happy that I even managed to get past GnG.

personaomega

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 03:49:04 am »

I think you took the words right out of my mouth.

You're pretty good. I just started Very Hard today. I'm only on the Castlevania segment, though. Still happy that I even managed to get past GnG.

Thank you! :blush: Hah... ya. God, that has got to be the largest section to go without save points. On the bright side, I got pretty good at those initial spikes. At first, I had to count down from 3 to get the timing right. Then, after a while, I was just able to jump on through. Practice makes perfect.. or at least as close as one can get. What I hated the most though? Was having to beat birdo twice because I missed the initial jump in the room after the boss battle.

Sometime after I got past that, and was on my way to Dracula, I switched over to the new testing version, and am keeping backups of my saves, just in case. I'm expecting to have to go through the entire cart ride to the guy without a single save point. If I'm lucky, I'll get one before the dragon devil.