I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Chat button has been eaten. Click here to join in the idling fun!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 10 THINGS YOU SHOULD NEVER PUT IN A FANGAME, EVER! MUST VIEW!!  (Read 8887 times)

core

• pls come back
    • View Profile
Re: 10 THINGS YOU SHOULD NEVER PUT IN A FANGAME, EVER! MUST VIEW!!
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2014, 04:44:22 pm »

Geez people just get used to it and ignore it. Every once in a while someone like this comes to the forum. Give them a few months, essentially a year and they'll come to realize how not pop punk they are.
Having that said, you're being a subject of laughter and/or cringe, ArtismExpert.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 04:51:30 pm by von »
Join the official IWBTF discord server!
Quote from: Yb
That was fucking obnoxious

infern0man1

• Unrevoked
  • It's been revoked.
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2014, 04:57:03 pm »

Needle Game master race reporting.

www.youtube.com/user/infern0man1

ArtismExpert

• ♪I'm wanted,♪ ♪Dead or alive.♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2014, 05:11:46 pm »

See, @Von knows what I'm talking about.  9_9
Oh, wait... That's not what he meant...
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 05:28:53 pm by ArtismExpert »
I used to be the guy like you, but then I took a cherry to the knee.

Valkema

• Anonly Asia O_O
  • The Guy
  • What. I'm busy right now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2014, 05:29:08 pm »

Oh hey you're like me when I was 13.

Anyways don't use text that big. Your points will be more emphasized if you use nice organized formatting.
On to your points.

1. Fair point.
2. Fair point.
3. This really doesn't matter at all for the genre.
4. This also really doesn't matter. I'm not too huge on anime but you're being rather Xenophobic here.
5. Default textures are fine. This is after all a fangame. While use of creativity is always welcome it's not a requirement.
6. Again this doesn't really matter for the genre.
7. You ask for creativity then say it's bad. Fangames can be as creative as they want to be. A decent example is Battle Kid.
8. Hate the player not the game.
9. Xenophobia again.
10. While Suffer is supposed to be parody you make a fair point with the rest.

Basically Points 1, 2, and 10 are your only real points. 3, 5, 6, and 8 are just preference. 7 is just wrong while points 4 and 9 are just you being Xenophobic as fuck. Like seriously the world doesn't revolve around America.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 05:32:46 pm by Valkama »

ArtismExpert

• View Profile
@Valkama
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2014, 08:23:06 pm »

1. Thank you.
2. Thanks again.
3. Yeah, I suppose they COULD mute the volume, but I wouldn't want them to be TOO annoyed.
4. So people actually LIKE these?! THE FUCK?!
5. I at least want to have it look good on the EYES.
6. I just want to get a good feeling about what's ahead.
7. I was asking for MODERATION, and I want it to look like an actual IWBTG game.
8. I think you mean the creator, but otherwise, fair point.
9. Well, sorry for not spending years learning a language just to know what a few things say in an indie game.
10. Just to clarify, this is only a red flag if you do it UNINTENTIONALLY. Otherwise, knock yourself out. And thank you.

d

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2014, 08:50:32 pm »

1. I agree.
2. I actually haven't seen many traps in fangames lately, but nevertheless I agree.
3. Again I haven't heard a lot of Guilty Gear in fangames lately.
4. That's like saying fangames have too many NES boss fights.  There really is no reason to stop adding anime (Vocaloid actually) themed fights
5. Not really relevant to the quality of the fanagme, especially if there is an IWBTG themed level.
6. Again not relevant to quality.
7. I don't even know what to say here.
8. Hey guys, the quality of a fangame directly corresponds to how catchy the title is! Not.
9. Well, what kind of sane developer would spend years to learn a language just for an indie game with a small amount of text.  See what I mean?
10. The games you listed were created to be hard.  "I Wanna Be The Sadist"  definitely doesn't suggest difficulty.  Besides, isn't the purpose of IWBTG fangames to make the player rage at the game's difficulty?
d

Valkema

• Anonly Asia O_O
  • The Guy
  • What. I'm busy right now.
    • View Profile
Re: @Valkama
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2014, 09:32:16 pm »

3. Yeah, I suppose they COULD mute the volume, but I wouldn't want them to be TOO annoyed.
4. So people actually LIKE these?! THE FUCK?!
5. I at least want to have it look good on the EYES.
6. I just want to get a good feeling about what's ahead.
7. I was asking for MODERATION, and I want it to look like an actual IWBTG game.
9. Well, sorry for not spending years learning a language just to know what a few things say in an indie game.

In regards to 3 and 5. These actually aren't the problems at hand from my experience with these games. The problems is there is no reason for why levels are put together the way they are. The use tracks without a purpose. Music is put in the games in awkward ways that don't fit. Sprites are just used because they need sprites, they don't take the time to lay them out to look nice with the level at hand.

6. This is whatever. It shows a lack of effort to change minor things but really this is much more of a nitpick than anything.

7. Unfortunately for you these are games made by fans that represent their experience with the game they are a fan of, not yours. Not all of them remember fondly what you remember, some liked this and others liked that. They went and changed what they didn't like and thus broke away from the original in some way. There isn't a solid mold for these games to fill.

4 and 9. Anime is a cultural thing in Japan and much more prominent among their gaming community. You see Japan is very different from America. They also don't all speak English. In fact neither does most of the world. They have to deal with games always being in English that they want to play. Yes it's unfortunate for you that a game is not in your native language but that doesn't mean the developer of the game must accommodate you.

Kafkaesque

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2014, 09:40:38 pm »

Point 4 is certainly xenophobia but I would argue that point 9 is more ethnocentric than xenophobic. I will say ArtismExpert, though, the things you're saying regarding cultural differences between the Western countries most of us come from and Asian countries is borderline offensive.

This is a complete disaster of a thread: obnoxious formatting, derogatory language, sweeping generalisations, opinion as fact, nonsensical logic and most of all the participation and encouragement of shitposting on a serious board. ArtismExpert, your points are either common sense or wrong (or at the very least entirely subjective). Shinytyphlosion (?) + Anon pretty much covered ever point I had to make but as per usual I felt this needed my opinion as well. (That was sarcasm).
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 04:52:08 pm by Lionel Schlemms »

ArtismExpert

• View Profile
@Valkama
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2014, 04:16:59 pm »

3 & 5. Honestly, I need the game to look good. Otherwise, there will be NOTHING to counteract the rage that ensues and I'll just uninstall the game.
4 & 9. As I said before,
All the more reason why Japan is absolutely bananas.
6. Okay, before I get to my rebuttal, I didn't know wtf "nitpick" meant at first so I had to look it up on dictionary.com. So I guess you made me look stupid on one aspect. And now that I know what it means, I can tell you that that was more than just "a carping, petty criticism." If I can't get a good feeling of what's ahead, how am I supposed to not believe that this fangame, like 99% of them are, is going to be garbage?
7. Good point, but my perspective of a fangame isn't "a representation of their experience with the game they are a fan of", it's "taking a game you like and making it better, but still making it look like a fangame and not an original game"

Kafkaesque

@ArtismExpert
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2014, 04:46:46 pm »

Just quoting your ethnocentric, borderline racist thinking doesn't do anything to answer Valkama's point.

The problem here Artism is that all of this is just opinion yet you're trying to pass it off like the ten commandments. The fact that so many people are refuting your points should illustrate to you that the topic of what is good in a fangame is subjective. The problem is how awfully entitled you're sounding; a fangame developer's product is a representation of their desires and artistic vision, they are not catering to you and why should they when no one else here shares your tastes. If you honestly believe that 99% of fangames are garbage, and are willing to dismiss them just for having a name you are too immature to ignore, then why do you bother playing them at all? Instead of trying to make fangames conform to your tastes, why don't you actively try to find indie games that do cater to your tastes? Why don't you make your own perfect fangames? People don't owe you anything, just like they don't owe you their time invested in learning new languages, just like they don't owe you the butchering of their own artistic vision, just like they don't owe you fangame engines.

The bottom line is, no one cares about your opinion. People aren't replying because they care about your view of a perfect fangame, they're replying because of how obnoxiously you're presenting yourself and your views. A better use of this thread would have been to discuss personal taste in fangames and to work out trends in people's responses instead of trying hopelessly to monopolize the fangame creating process. By now this thread is worthless circlejerk of people trying to illustrate to you just how entitled and arrogant you're being and you refuting (and/or ignoring) them when they do so.

ArtismExpert

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2014, 07:28:26 pm »

All right! This thread is now a Very Hot Topic! ;D
...But apparently not in a good way.  =(
Pages: 1 [2]