I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Chat button has been eaten. Click here to join in the idling fun!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Notable examples of boss/enemy design  (Read 21670 times)

dsk

• Lawful Evil Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • The Guy
  • Like a phoenix
    • View Profile
    • Youtube videos!
Re: Notable examples of boss/enemy design
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2008, 10:42:28 am »

If he thinks a game sucks, you can't go trolling around trying to change his. Unless he's really weak-minded, he won't.

Also, opinions are like anuses.

Each one to his own.

Volteccer_Jack

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2008, 11:09:32 pm »

I'm curious to hear what folks think of the boss design in the ever-contentious Mega Man Zero series.

I love the Zero bosses. I'd argue that they're, generally speaking, the best Mega Man bosses ever. In particular, the 4 Guardians in Zero1(in Zero2, they changed for the worse, and Phantom was gone). I like how they flinch when hit, like you. It makes it feel more like a real fight, and less like you-versus-giant-thing.

I personally liked some of the attacks bosses would get if you had an S-rank-

This was awesome too. My favorite was Phantom's. He'd start teleporting to random points on the screen, pausing between teleports to throw kunai at you. He'd continue for a long while, unless you forced him to end it by hitting him 3 times; the catch is, he was invisible the whole time. So basically, each time he threw a pair of kunai, you had just over 1 second to get over there and hit him before he teleported again.

Here's one: Yunalesca, from FFX. Her first form would counterattack everything; physical attacks with blindness, spells with silence, you know. But that was just to soften you up for the real boss. Her second form only has 3 attacks: Hellbiter, Regen, and Cura. Hellbiter inflicts Zombie on your party, and the other two are healing spells. Since healing spells actually hurt Zombies, you can do the math there. So obviously, you want to cure Zombie as soon as possible. But when you defeat her second form, she casts Megadeath, which instantly kills your entire party...except for Zombies. Her third form continues to use Hellbiter, and on your Zombies, the more powerful Curaga, which can kill party members with lower HP in a single hit. And now she periodically uses Megadeath. The end result is that you have to maintain a balance of party members, both Zombie and non-Zombie, so that no one attack can kill everyone.

Dagnarok

• Neutral Good Moderator
  • Administrator
  • The Guy
  • Commander of the USP Talon
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2008, 11:34:54 pm »

Here's one: Yunalesca, from FFX. Her first form would counterattack everything; physical attacks with blindness, spells with silence, you know. But that was just to soften you up for the real boss. Her second form only has 3 attacks: Hellbiter, Regen, and Cura. Hellbiter inflicts Zombie on your party, and the other two are healing spells. Since healing spells actually hurt Zombies, you can do the math there. So obviously, you want to cure Zombie as soon as possible. But when you defeat her second form, she casts Megadeath, which instantly kills your entire party...except for Zombies. Her third form continues to use Hellbiter, and on your Zombies, the more powerful Curaga, which can kill party members with lower HP in a single hit. And now she periodically uses Megadeath. The end result is that you have to maintain a balance of party members, both Zombie and non-Zombie, so that no one attack can kill everyone.

Now there's a fine example of boss work. :D
Quote from: Tilyami
Shuu is like the monkey's paw if the monkey's paw was a partridge.

dsk

• Lawful Evil Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • The Guy
  • Like a phoenix
    • View Profile
    • Youtube videos!
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2008, 11:41:16 pm »

I'm scared to play FFX now.

e^x

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2008, 02:56:32 am »

I'm scared to play FFX now.
Nothing outside of the Monster Arena specific enemies is too difficult.

Saiai

• Watch out for traps!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2008, 09:21:48 am »

Wait, THAT'S what she did?
I could vaguely recall that that boss was strategic in nature, but I couldn't remember anything specific. How the heck did I beat it x_x
Even worse her strategy is actually thematic to this game... Final Fantasy may have lots of people complaining about one thing or another but they've evolved a lot gameplay-wise over time... x_x

finale

• Mind over matter. Personified.
    • View Profile
    • my work number
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2008, 03:52:32 pm »

I wasn't a huge fan of that Yunalesca battle- while the whole death-undeath thing was new, it was also an extension of the problem I had with most of the FFs up to XII- everything seems to, how shall I put it- have 9999999 everything everywhere? It's like, hey, add another couple digits to that stat and we're set.

Phantom- ohh, I loved how Phantom would explode and actually KILL you. Phantom wins, partially by being the most hardcore of the guardians, and partially for dying to avoid the whole Magic Transformer Vehicle Form crud they pulled in Zero 2. hmm, now that I think of it, I guess 2 was pretty weak in a lot of ways.

Kitty

• What a furry.
  • Administrator
  • The Guy
  • ねこみみん is happy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2008, 05:30:20 pm »

Now there's a fine example of boss work. :D
I liked the boss directly before her as well. The move-around-the-platforms-or-attack thing was interesting. I like it at first, but then I lost like 10 times and it got annoying =<
So adorable! <333
Quote from: Zuks
Quote from: Cat
I think it's raining.
Are you sure there isn't just some weird sky leak above your head?

Tamatou

• From Austria with Love!
    • View Profile
    • TheBLBShow on YT
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2014, 10:25:34 pm »

The Jupiter King form Metal Slug 3
I love that attack where he pulls out a giant rocket from his chest and holds it in front of him. Then he shoots laser beams from his eyes forcing you to stand directly under the rocket. AND THE HE DROPS IT!! Really hard to avoid but i like it.
I Wanna Go Home... thats the name of the game I wanna make

See also TheBLBShow:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_JPkDRFZ2kPQobtbHGuVuw

Uncle Ochipi

• hello
    • View Profile
    • my twich channel
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2014, 09:06:43 pm »

Im the only guy that thing on Giygas from earthbound/mother 1?

Seben

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2014, 09:09:28 pm »

Im the only guy that thing on Giygas from earthbound/mother 1?

Well, the strategy to win against him got me mad after my three attempts.
I had to level up every character from lvl 70 or less to 90 before realizing it was fairly easy.
But it wasn't obvious.
I mean, really.
At all.
Damn.

It's not notable in an aspect of "hey this boss is awesome", but more like... Shocking. Kinda what OP said about that -seemingly- invincible boss in FFXII.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 09:11:06 pm by Seben »
RAPPERS, RAPPERS!
WHAT YOU GONNA DO?
WHAT YOU GONNA DO,
WHEN THEY COME FOR YOU?

Nono

• U Jelly?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2014, 07:14:42 am »

If I remember correctly you get told how to beat him with singing in Mother 1. So how you beat him in Earthbound is a reference to that, but since a lot of people didn't play Mother 1 it might be pretty shit if they don't actually explain that you should just pray a lot.
What can I say? I knew from the moment I saw my first trypophobic picture on /x/ that holes were not for me.
Quote from: Kayin
IWBTG Lore: Delicious Fruit are sentient. Their rage and intellect allows Delicious Fruit to be skilled hunters, especially in packs.

Seben

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2014, 02:53:37 pm »

If I remember correctly you get told how to beat him with singing in Mother 1. So how you beat him in Earthbound is a reference to that, but since a lot of people didn't play Mother 1 it might be pretty shit if they don't actually explain that you should just pray a lot.

Yeah, I'm in the trashbin with all of those people too, I've got to play Mother at some time in my life :/
RAPPERS, RAPPERS!
WHAT YOU GONNA DO?
WHAT YOU GONNA DO,
WHEN THEY COME FOR YOU?

Tamatou

• From Austria with Love!
    • View Profile
    • TheBLBShow on YT
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2014, 11:17:45 pm »

Another Boss that I found really awesome was Scorch from Spyro 3.
That fact that one of his attacks is summoning Buzz (that first Boss) always amazed me. I remember when one of my friends told me about that. I didn't believe him. But it is true.
This is something I've never seen in a platformer before.
I Wanna Go Home... thats the name of the game I wanna make

See also TheBLBShow:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_JPkDRFZ2kPQobtbHGuVuw

ArtismExpert

• ♪I'm wanted,♪ ♪Dead or alive.♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2014, 05:26:59 pm »

Good examples
Ryu - I Wanna Be The Boshy
Elite Four & Champion Lance - Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver
Giant Bowser (TLB) - New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Hisstocrat - Super Mario 3D World
Dracula (wow, my spell-check recognized that?) - I Wanna Be The Guy
Exor - I Wanna Kill The Guy
Everything except Meta Ridley - Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Bad examples
Everything else - New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Motley Bossblob - Super Mario 3D World
Sonic, Cheetahmen - I Wanna Be The Boshy (I'M LOOKING AT YOU, SOLGRYN. YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU'VE DONE. I HOPE.)
Big Kid - I Wanna Be The LoveTrap
Every Hatsune Miku boss fight ever - Thousands of IWBTG fangames (YES, THOUSANDS.)
I used to be the guy like you, but then I took a cherry to the knee.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4