I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Chat button has been eaten. Click here to join in the idling fun!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Kraidgief frustrates like no other?  (Read 8157 times)

Rash

• View Profile
Kraidgief frustrates like no other?
« on: January 26, 2008, 02:38:33 pm »

Hey guys. I'm new to this board (having come from another board which had a thread about IWBTG), but have been playing the very challenging I Wanna Be the Guy for some time now.

I've beaten four bosses in this game thus far. Mike Tyson, Mecha Birdo, Clown Copter,  and Dracula. The most challenging of these is easily Dracula, but not even he frustrated me like my next opponent, Kraidgief.

It's like, this game has thrown some SICK challenges at me. But, I've always been able to get past them. I even had more trouble with the up-and-down moving spikes before Mecha Birdo and the spike ceiling after Clown Copter than the "big spike room" that's beside the building (before the drones and the fan-room).

However, for some reason Kraidgief has been like a plague. I don't know how to beat him.

First of all, I found a way to defeat his initial onslaught WITHOUT EVEN MAKING HIM RISE UP, but when he comes back to life there's actually no way to beat him. The top half of the screen is still blocked off and he doesn't even send enough Blankas for me to reach his hidden head anyway.

However, avoiding making him do this glitch, and actually getting him to rise up and clear the ceiling, I begin to do standard attacks. Shooting at the eyes to make him back off. Waiting until he gets into "Blanka-shooting" mode and then attacking. But then I always either get killed by his flame attack or I hit that "shoot only one bullet at a time" problem, which renders me nearly useless against the big green guy.

First, if there's any tips that some of you could give me, that's great. But, most importantly I just want to state that I find Kraidgief to be the most frustrating boss so far in this game, which is really surprising considering everything else IWBTG tends to throw at me.
A Very Neat Monster

SmashFiles

• Your not a true gamer, until you beat IWBTG
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Account
Re: Kraidgief frustrates like no other?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 02:49:36 pm »

If you want the easy way out, than do the one thing that makes him not go up, kill him, once catches on fire, run. run to the other side. The other way (the no noobish way) you just have to hope that you dont get the one bullet thing. You can dodge his fire by...
If your up at the top than jump down at the right time, than go up again.
If your at the bottem your doomed.
Hope that helped.
[size=135]Look down your shirt, if you get a boner, than you know your fat.[/size]
On a completely different note, it appears that I'm banned in 27 countries.

dsk

• Lawful Evil Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • The Guy
  • Like a phoenix
    • View Profile
    • Youtube videos!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 02:50:32 pm »

First of all, I found a way to defeat his initial onslaught WITHOUT EVEN MAKING HIM RISE UP, but when he comes back to life there's actually no way to beat him. The top half of the screen is still blocked off and he doesn't even send enough Blankas for me to reach his hidden head anyway.
Run like hell when he goes down. You get the token, he rises back, you win, everybody's happy.

Rash

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 03:07:19 pm »

Hehehe. Is this how all you guys got passed him? :)

Anyway, thanks for the tip. I just beat him. On top of that, soon after I intuitively discovered how to get to the Mother Brain path (which I had no clue about before). Man, it's pretty satisfying when you discover something new like that, especially when before the method to get there was previously overlooked. I think IWBTG does a good job of providing a sense of discovery like this.
A Very Neat Monster

dsk

• Lawful Evil Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • The Guy
  • Like a phoenix
    • View Profile
    • Youtube videos!
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 04:29:08 pm »

I didn't, but most of the people did. It happens often. Happened to Cloud during his playthrough.

Rash

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 05:19:46 pm »

It was nice to finally get by Kraidgief that way. However, doesn't it seem like something that could and should be fixed? In my opinion, the boss is pretty nice, but isn't as well designed as some of the others. With a few fixes (especially to the "one shot only" problem) it could probably be one of the better ones and people wouldn't have to use the easy way out.

Exploits like standing between the spikes in the post-Clown Copter room are nice because they're both natural and difficult. However, Kraidgief in my opinion just has some design issues and is the only boss (or even part of the game) that seemed questionably constructed. Maybe it's something to think about for the future?
A Very Neat Monster

dsk

• Lawful Evil Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • The Guy
  • Like a phoenix
    • View Profile
    • Youtube videos!
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 05:25:07 pm »

Kraidgief is the only FOOBAR'd boss that renders it almost unplayable. Mecha Birdo has it's share of bugs, but they don't affect gameplay. The Guy has that spinning bullets bug, but that's something that is easily fixed by R, but Kraidgief is just... silly. In my first attempts, he would TPD me almost intansteneously(SP?).

SmashFiles

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Account
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 05:29:45 pm »

Kraidgief is the only FOOBAR'd boss that renders it almost unplayable. Mecha Birdo has it's share of bugs, but they don't affect gameplay. The Guy has that spinning bullets bug, but that's something that is easily fixed by R, but Kraidgief is just... silly. In my first attempts, he would TPD me almost intansteneously(SP?).
you SAY mecha birdo doesnt have anyglitches that affect gameplay, but he does.
If you get him to go into his 2nd stage right after he shot a missle, he'll shoot another and you'll atomaticly fall through the 3 platforms on the missle your standing on.
But yeah, good job on beating him.
[size=135]Look down your shirt, if you get a boner, than you know your fat.[/size]

dsk

• Lawful Evil Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • The Guy
  • Like a phoenix
    • View Profile
    • Youtube videos!
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 06:45:16 pm »

But it requires almost pixel perfect timing (deliver the last shot just as it shoots), and doesn't happen easily. The Kraid bug happens to the great majority of people who play.

Rash

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 07:05:24 pm »

I experienced no issues with Mecha Birdo. In fact, it's probably my favorite boss.
A Very Neat Monster

dsk

• Lawful Evil Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • The Guy
  • Like a phoenix
    • View Profile
    • Youtube videos!
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 07:44:56 pm »

Mine too.

SmashFiles

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Account
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 08:07:27 pm »

GAH! I dont know you people!

Boris_Lord_of_the_Acorns

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 01:28:31 am »

I thought that the Kraidgief "glitch" was supposed to be homage to how you could quick kill Kraid in super metroid.  It happened to me more times than his normal animation when i rapid-fired at him from underneath the ledge.

After kraidgief, I saw that i had moved into the most hellish stage of them all and killed myself, wanting to kill kraidgief again before moving on into hell. >_>

still can't kill MB. -_-

Rash

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 02:16:56 am »

Yeah, MB is tough. I still haven't formed the perfect strategy for taking her out.
A Very Neat Monster

SmashFiles

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Account
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2008, 11:04:21 am »

A strategy for MB is when you get to her, jump to the platform with her on it, start shooting her. Youll have time to jump twice, a turret shoots, you jump and shoot again, than go back to the pillar right next to you, none of the O's should hit you there, but you have to be on the far right of the pillar. once the O shooter things shoot O's again, go back to the MB, and repeat, this should work. Hope I Helped  ;D
Pages: [1] 2