I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Gaiden 1.2 patch released. Click here to download!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Sivak inspired me.  (Read 6025 times)

BryanM

• View Profile
Re: Sivak inspired me.
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2010, 04:03:36 pm »

I liked that room in the first game where you had to ninja backstab a crap load of knights.

The language you choose to study doesn't really matter that much with 2d games. C#, Visual Basic 6, Delphi... production speed and ease of use is all that kind of matters. Any of them will let you do nice things like generate random spaceships at runtime:

What really kind of matters after basic language proficiency, is whether to go with DirectX7, 8, 9 or OpenGL.

The typical newbie advice: "Make some simple projects like a text based hack and slash RPG / Pong / Breakout / Tetris first before even trying a large project." etc etc

Personally, I kind of want to make a "more Zelda than Zelda" game for the NES some day down the line. With a few races and classes, multiple types of weapons, etc. We all get sick perverse thoughts like this from time to time.

giuocob

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2010, 04:06:03 pm »

Wait, you made an algorithm to randomly generate those?

You are AWESOME.

BryanM

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2010, 04:24:21 pm »

It's uh, a drunk walking pixel method. A pic taken earlier on while I was making it shows it a bit more clearly:

And I stole the idea from a man called Dave. Lot'sa cool ideas out there to thieve away..

giuocob

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2010, 04:53:41 pm »

That's pretty neat. I've always wanted to know more about random generation. I'm glad that 'Dave' explained how his worked, but yours is a lot higher resolution that 12x12.

I might have to look up this 'drunk walking pixel method'.

Ellipsis

• Ellipsis
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
    • If Not Equal Limited
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2010, 05:14:49 pm »

Sarah, I wouldn't suggest trying to make a nes game first, Instead I agree with the majority that C++ is a better bet, I've reasontly started learning it, and I can assure you that it's quite similar to gamemaker. Where as assembly, is nothing similar. Also C++ would have more future uses than nes assembly although you will proberly learn more about how computer hardware works learning assembly. Also if you learn C++ it will be par for the course, as you'll be the 3rd C++ coder on the forums ^^. Whatever you choose to make the game in I really like your game idea, sounds epic win.

Sarah

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2010, 11:13:25 pm »

Okay, so after thinking this through, I've decided that, once I can earn enough money to do so, I'll take a college course on C coding to try and learn how to figure this stuff out. That, and I would like to make some other useful small programs.

Don't expect this game anytime soon; however feel free to post ideas and/or sprites if you want. I've already got a story in mind; no suggestions needed there. :P

In the meantime, just tell me I fail, look up stuff on the internet randomly, do whatever. :P
It's okay, we've all been literally retarded at some point in our lives.

Storyyeller

• The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2010, 11:55:52 pm »

If all you want to do is make games, college isn't really necessary.

I've been teaching myself C++ for the last year, and I've already made some pretty cool games (if I do say so myself). Obviously, if you want to be a professional, you should probably go to college, but it's not like you can't start programming now.

Although if this is your first time programming, I'd recommend doing something easier then C++. I've heard that Python is really great for beginners. It's certainly a lot faster to learn.
Pages: 1 [2]