I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Chat button has been eaten. Click here to join in the idling fun!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What the hell is this shit!?  (Read 3910 times)

Chainer

Re: What the hell is this shit!?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2010, 07:15:16 pm »

ybbald

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2010, 07:48:33 pm »

gmail is win

Venser

• Gloved Modulator
  • Godmin
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2010, 08:05:29 pm »

If Bing is a virus, then why would hotmail link me to it every time I tried to access my mail?

The problem you describe seems to be an improperly loaded hyperlink. When such a thing happens, usually the browser will replace the hyperlink it can't read with a search on your default engine - which is generally Google. However, when Bing was created, it somehow hijacked the default search engine on the three popular browsers (I'm unsure of what happened to other browsers). On Chrome, it's easy enough to reset the search engine to Google, but on FF and IE it will reset the search engine to Bing as often as it can. On FF you can set a script to redirect Bing's IP to Google's, or download an app that does it automatically, but there's no permanent fix for IE.
Ybbald: I read that as "deadly venser"
Ybbald: and I was like
Ybbald: "when is venser NOT deadly?"

Arkhanno: We'll have to out-source to the US. I know of a great doctor with lifeguard training that can do anything with a 90% success rate

Evan20k: Sherlock Holmes didn't have 5 arms and 6 penises and lifeguard training

Fidel CashFlow

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2010, 09:56:14 pm »

OP, i had the same problem.
Despy just meatspun us. I. Have. No. Words.

matlab

• IWBTF Prophet
  • The Guy
  • TO THE MATLAB
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2010, 04:24:40 am »

If Bing is a virus, then why would hotmail link me to it every time I tried to access my mail?

The problem you describe seems to be an improperly loaded hyperlink. When such a thing happens, usually the browser will replace the hyperlink it can't read with a search on your default engine - which is generally Google. However, when Bing was created, it somehow hijacked the default search engine on the three popular browsers (I'm unsure of what happened to other browsers). On Chrome, it's easy enough to reset the search engine to Google, but on FF and IE it will reset the search engine to Bing as often as it can. On FF you can set a script to redirect Bing's IP to Google's, or download an app that does it automatically, but there's no permanent fix for IE.
Wow, why does Microsoft always have to force it's shit down our throat?
Kinda like Youtube, no chance of going back...
うらめしや

Koppis

• The Guy
  • JAKE ON URPO
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2010, 06:13:42 am »

Wow, why does Microsoft always have to force it's shit down our throat?
Kinda like Youtube, no chance of going back...

I don't mind microsoft, I just don't want them stuffing it down my throat all the time.
lol

ybbald

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2010, 07:17:08 am »

microsoft = bing?

liquidCorgster

• Signature Moderator
  • The Guy
  • hanged man
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2010, 07:53:06 am »

Bing is by Microsoft.

Ellipsis

• Ellipsis
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
    • If Not Equal Limited
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2010, 08:24:47 am »

Firefox, dosn't use bing. It's google to start with and you can just change it back to google in two clicks anyway. Unless I'm missing something?

ybbald

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2010, 09:15:37 am »

oh no wonder it sucks

Salamander

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2010, 10:18:41 am »

but there's no permanent fix for IE.
There's no good fix, but you can perform some quick and dirty hacks.

Located in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc
is a file called "hosts", open it with wordpad or notepad and add the following line after the line "127.0.0.1 localhost":
72.14.213.99 www.bing.com
Now the next time anything tries to access bing, it will be redirected to google (72.14.213.99 is google's IP address at the time of this post).

Additionally, you can completely block any website by adding "127.0.0.1 <website address here>" to the file.

Note: this method affects all browsers.
<Kayin> You know, I always said necroing is okay, but the other admins ignore me. :(

Venser

• Gloved Modulator
  • Godmin
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2010, 11:54:03 am »

Ah, the articles I was reading on it was saying that the IP redirect method was easy to do on FF but didn't say anything about IE.
Ybbald: I read that as "deadly venser"
Ybbald: and I was like
Ybbald: "when is venser NOT deadly?"

Arkhanno: We'll have to out-source to the US. I know of a great doctor with lifeguard training that can do anything with a 90% success rate

Evan20k: Sherlock Holmes didn't have 5 arms and 6 penises and lifeguard training
Pages: 1 [2]