I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Gaiden 1.2 patch released. Click here to download!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: "Working on a game" or (The quest for the ball)  (Read 5323 times)

Dr.Razer

• Derp Dhurr Dirp Dugh Fergh
    • View Profile
"Working on a game" or (The quest for the ball)
« on: April 09, 2010, 02:48:23 pm »

(Warning: My english sucks)
I know, i know.. Almost everyone here is making games on MMF2 or GayMaker, so why should anyone care about yet another guy who wants to make a game.
Well, that's true, but first I have a story to tell you.

About 2  years ago I was making an IWBTG fan game, some time later I told to myself "Screw that, the world doesn't need another IWBTG clone, I'm going to get serious and make my own original game from 0". I did almost nothing in 10 months (college,HW,duties, and most importantly because I'm a lazy bastard)  1 year ago some dumb shit stole my computer and I had to wait 3 months until I got a new laptop, I had to start all over again. Wen I was making some real progress, school strikes back, so i had to wait until xmas holidays, but oh oh, no time for MMF2 because I had to learn some PHP, Java and MySQL first, so I did almost nothing related to MMF2 on holidays.

I said to myself, enough is enough, I'm sick of this motherfucking snakes on this motherfucking plane If I don't finish a game by the beginning of 2011, I must do something that hurts.

Next step,  I make a bet with one of my best friends "If I don't make a game, (at least a shitty one that takes 1 hour to finish)  by Jan 01 2011" I WILL CUT MY LEFT BALL OFF!".. But if I do, you buy me a 6 dollar burger. (DEAL)

Piece of cake right? Well, fucking no!, because college Is bugging me now like never before, and it's not even something related to my career, only filler bullshit. Also I'm part of a team working in a somewhat srs competition. A project with interviews, programing, designing, and some more srs bullshit, and it is not videogame related.

To make things worse I've been chosen "Zhe expositor" by my teammates, Are they fucking srs? I have Stage fright you dumbshits! But lets forget about stage fright for now, being the expositor means I will have to work the double on the goddamn project. So BS college+ Project + being the zhe expositor + being lazy + shit that happens = no fucking time which equals no fucking left ball by 2011.

What I have done in the last 3 months?
- Basic platform "engine"
- Story Concept
- Some character concept art
- 0 sprites
- 0 music

And because I want it to be as original as possible, I can't even think about riping sprites or music.

9 months remaining, and I have almost nothing, and If i continue with my current project I really doubt it will be finished by 2011. So what to do now? trying to escape from the bet it's not an option, I try the best to keep my word for those who I respect. I'm thinking about making an even more simple game, but I don't want to.

Why do I post here you say? Well, from now on I will be writing down some of my progress here, If I learn something new about MMF2, I will try to share this new knowledge with you. Also I might need some help sometimes, if you do like and have time of course, No BS  like "Oh shit make me a game and I pay you" or " FUUUU make me a sprite right nao motherfuckers!" I'll just be asking basic things like "This goddamn variable is not working, what now?".

From this day the quest is on, Will I be able to finish the game by 2011, or will I lose my left ball?

It's on motherfuckers.

PD: Is this the right place to post this? Or it will be better to post it on Game Design or General discussion?
"Goddamn stone age"

Venser

• Gloved Modulator
  • Godmin
  • The Guy
    • View Profile
Re: "Working on a game" or (The quest for the ball)
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 02:50:43 pm »

Well, technically speaking, Game Design was probably the right place, but if you're planning to turn this thread into the eventual 'hey download my game' thread, it's fine here too.

Also, well done on the OP, I lol'd my way through it.
Ybbald: I read that as "deadly venser"
Ybbald: and I was like
Ybbald: "when is venser NOT deadly?"

Arkhanno: We'll have to out-source to the US. I know of a great doctor with lifeguard training that can do anything with a 90% success rate

Evan20k: Sherlock Holmes didn't have 5 arms and 6 penises and lifeguard training

Dr.Razer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 03:01:14 pm »

I was thinking about opening another topic in 2011 with the full game. But I plan to put the "alphas" here.
"Goddamn stone age"

YoSniper

• Code blooded. Check it and see.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 03:38:49 pm »

I find it hard to believe that your left nut is only worth a $6 burger. I'd have to go at least $3 billion + the cost of the nitrous to put me under for the operation before I would even consider making a bet like that.
I don't traverse the forums as much anymore. Follow me on Twitter if you want to keep tabs on me!

Twitter: @YoSniperGames
Twitch: yosniper

Streams happen whenever I feel like it.

Storyyeller

• The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 03:50:23 pm »

I think you are setting your sights too high.

If you've never made a game before, you can't really expect to jump straight into a large platformer game.

I suggest you make the simple, like a tic tac toe game. It'll only take a day and you'll win your bet and have no pressure. Then you can worry about making a better game at your leisure.

Dr.Razer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 06:10:17 pm »

Right now If I want to, I could make a shitty platform game with about 5 levels and win the bet within a few weeks. Making it hard enough to keep an average player busy for about 2 hours. But the bet is not just about burgers or balls, It's about pride and determination.

Of course I could release a beta of the game on December, and then take my time to finish it later. But it still needs to feel like an actual game.

If I win with a very simple and shitty game, the award will be just a miserable $6 burger, and my pride will be non-existent. The burger will taste like shit.

If some day I want to be a professional Video game designer or programmer. I must take the bet as serious as I can. That's the point of the bet, personal improvement.

If I win the bet correctly, that $6 burger will taste like glory.
"Goddamn stone age"

pserafi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 06:17:26 pm »

u deserve to get your ball cut off.
WHAT THE HELL KIND OF BET IS THAT??

Storyyeller

• The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 07:16:15 pm »

Well as far as I know, the best way to get good at making games is practice. Gamedev.net is also a helpful resource, although it's mainly programming oriented.

Also, there is no such thing as a "professional Video game designer". If you want to work on video games, either become a programmer or an artist.

Dr.Razer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 03:49:21 pm »

Also, there is no such thing as a "professional Video game designer". If you want to work on video games, either become a programmer or an artist.
Actually, there are many areas for designers, like level design, character design, etc. There are mayors in game design too.

Anyway, back to the topic.

I started the game all over a few days ago, because I forgot almost everything about MMF2 over the inactive months.
This is what I have so far:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y3DJ74L8

Disregard the looks and graphics, it's just something I made to test the "engine", for practice sake. It has nothing to do with the actual game.

I had to take the music off because Megaupload is a piece of shit and I get the goddamn error message every time I tried to upload the file, I'm currently uploading the original using rapidshare but  it says there are 2186840:14 minutes remaining.
Level 1: Jumps, position swaps (Song was 12th street rag)
Level 2: Get double Jump and gun (Song was "Te trooper")
Level 3: Just experimenting with backdrops, actives,collisions, paths and shit like that (Song "Macho men"(you will get it when you get there)).

Currently the "engine" haves a shitload of bugs, but Im working on most of the right now. Any constructive critic would be very appreciated, Is the player moving too fast? too slow? Are the jumps and double jumps too weak?
Destructive critic is ok too as long as it is funny.

Bugs I'm solving.
- Player gets stuck on some platforms.
-The player gets the gun at the beginning of level 2 in the second round.
- Falling trough some platforms in level 2 and 3.
- Some minor bugs.

Bugs I have some notions of how to fix.

-Magic bullets stay in the same place if the character is too far away.
-Some issues with global values.

Bugs I have no Idea how to fix

-Moonwalk

If you see some more bugs please report them to me so I can throw my laptop off the window.

OH SHIT disregard the no music, megaupload worked at last.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2VRXI661
Still too heavy, but that's because I used Mp3's (converted to WAV). Something I won't do on the actual game.

The actual game is going pretty well so far: (Lol not true) SHHHHH
Story about 15%
Character designs (About 5 characters,
Sprites (Still 0)
Music 0

In other news it seems the school project might be changed from a "web based social bullshit aplication" to an actual videogame in MMF2. I have my fingers crossed.
This summer I will have 0 social life.
"Goddamn stone age"

Storyyeller

• The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 04:34:01 pm »

Actually, there are many areas for designers, like level design, character design, etc. There are mayors in game design too.

Game design is a lot different from level design and character design. But it is an actual job. I overreacted a bit when I said there is no such thing, but it is certainly a lot different then most people think. It's not like you can just take any idea in your head and people will make it for you.

Anyway, one of the prerequisites of game design is to actually make games, so you're on th right track.

pserafi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 07:12:25 pm »

Bugs I have no Idea how to fix

-Moonwalk

If you see some more bugs please report them to me so I can throw my laptop off the window.

This summer I will have 0 social life.
true that my old gamemaker games did the same thing!!!
edit: make a game about micheal jackson.

technokidd101

• I wanna be the evil game
    • View Profile
    • IWBTEG
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 07:21:55 pm »

use the moon walking to your advantage and make you michael jackson
I Wanna be the Evil Game Project: (103 screens v1.3)
http://kayin.pyoko.org/iwbtg/forums/index.php?topic=5761.30

pserafi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 07:26:03 pm »

damn you sega!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7GxI9aiiYE
guess he cant do that
that reminds me of the iwbtking preview
edit:this is how you shuld do it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbPP2ZaMNZg
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 07:43:59 pm by pserafi »

Dr.Razer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 09:36:52 pm »

It's not like you can just take any idea in your head and people will make it for you.
I totally agree, sadly that is the mentality most of the people I know have.

edit:this is how you shuld do it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbPP2ZaMNZg
Lol Wtf?
Making it a Michael jackson game is not an option.
Maybe if I add some more events to make the player stop if both arrows are pressed at the same time....hmmm..

PD: For those who tested this thing. Is the running speed ok? What about the jump? I seriously don't want a shitty gameplay in the game  :(
"Goddamn stone age"

hughesta

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 10:24:52 pm »

Best of luck!

I hope you're a lizard, because otherwise, that nut won't grow back.
Pages: [1] 2