I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Chat button has been eaten. Click here to join in the idling fun!

Author Topic: IWBTG! under Wine for mac users.  (Read 4120 times)

ChefEspeff

• View Profile
IWBTG! under Wine for mac users.
« on: February 18, 2008, 08:14:40 pm »

First of all, I was looking up this topic and I found a lot of mac users wondering whether or not you can run iwbtg under Wine on OS X.  The answer is yes.  There's a problem though, which is why I made this thread to start with.  For some reason, it gets really choppy at certain points in the game.  Sometimes it runs smoothly, but others it gets choppy for apparently no reason.  I tried playing it under a trial of Crossover (which is based off Wine, but costs $59.00) and it works just fine.  Is anyone running it under Wine on os x succesfully?

The Dude

• The Guy's long forgotten brother..
    • View Profile
Re: IWBTG! under Wine for mac users.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 11:05:10 pm »

First of all, I was looking up this topic and I found a lot of mac users wondering whether or not you can run iwbtg under Wine on OS X.  The answer is yes.  There's a problem though, which is why I made this thread to start with.  For some reason, it gets really choppy at certain points in the game.  Sometimes it runs smoothly, but others it gets choppy for apparently no reason.  I tried playing it under a trial of Crossover (which is based off Wine, but costs $59.00) and it works just fine.  Is anyone running it under Wine on os x succesfully?

I'm running it on Wine through Ubuntu, a Linux based Operative System, and yes, I do get the problem that at certain parts, it chops up.
It chopped up at Bowser, and I couldn't shoot fast, like 3 shots a second, which is why I had someone else do it for me, since it was impossible to do it without rapid fire rate.

Now I'm at Mother Brain, and now it's not choppy.

I guess it's just some glitch that occurs at some places in the game.
Once upon a time, when the birth of The Guy was date, a twin brother, called The Dude, came along, but was long forgotten.. But now, the time has come, for him to show his true self...

dsk

• Lawful Evil Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • The Guy
  • Like a phoenix
    • View Profile
    • Youtube videos!
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 05:39:46 am »

It chopped up at Bowser, and I couldn't shoot fast, like 3 shots a second
Happens to everyone.

Chris S.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 02:39:25 am »

It should technically run the same on Linux as OSX, but there's always the "magic" factor when it comes to computers.  I get periodic choppiness on my Linux box, but that's nothing to be surprised about.  I used to think it was overheating (a common thing on my laptop), but I'm starting to think that Ubuntu, Wine, and/or something else has some pretty poor processor management, causing some things to spike usage and deny others CPU time.  I don't have the same problem in XP (besides general slowness) on the same laptop, or Vista on a desktop.

You'd think a 2D sprite game would run many times better than, say, Half Life 2, but again there's the "magic" factor...

Katt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 09:45:26 pm »

I played iwbtg mostely on my linux-laptop with wine, and the only problem I'we ever had is that the screen is actually slightly cropped than on native windows. It's not a big problem though. I'we had no choppyness.

Could any of you OS-X users confirm if this happens with wine in OS-X too?
I may taste like butter, but I'm not!

Lord Seth

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 08:12:35 pm »

Hrm. It runs okay on OS X with Wine, but for some reason oftentimes when I try to save, it freezes. At first it wasn't too much of a problem because even though it froze, if I quit it and re-opened it, it would start up where I did save. But now it doesn't (started having this problem after I beat Tyson), making it pretty much impossible to save at all. Has anyone else using Wine on OS X had this problem? I have the newest version of it both Wine and OS X, if it matters.

Lord Seth

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 07:44:50 pm »

Well I got it fixed. I was using the slomo version. Using the frameskip version fixed the bug. Shooting a save point does slow it down briefly, but it doesn't freeze. It still does freeze occasionally though, but at least I can save!